Guru312

Don't you just LOVE skydiving?

Am I breaking the rules by posting this in both The Bonfire and History and Trivia? I'm doing so because younger jumpers hang around the fire and the older jumpers hang onto their walkers. Maybe the moderators will allow this in both places to see what difference longevity and age makes in the responses. If the moderators want to delete it from one, please take it out of History and leave it in The Bonfire.

A few days ago I posted a thread in "History and Trivia" and a responder posted in the thread: "Don't you just LOVE skydiving?"

There is no question how much I love skydiving, that's for sure. [For quite some time, it was my business and my life!] But it's the people in the sport as much as it is the act of jumping. There seems to be something about the personality and personal make-up of jumpers; their outlook on life in general; their respect for one another that draws us to a drop zone.

Last night I spent about 6 hours driving with an old jumper friend--he's old and I've known him for 30 plus years--and we spent most of our trip talking about people we knew over the years. It got me to thinking how ALL of my close friends are jumpers. I've been best man in a few weddings--all jumpers. I've been to a few funerals--all jumpers. The people I have do work for me--mostly jumpers. I'm pretty much a recluse...unless there are jumpers around!

I personally have a VERY difficult time relating to non-jumpers. In general, I can't stand groups of people, unless they are jumpers. Over the years, nothing thrilled me more than going to Herd Boogies and various competitions...just to hang with 'my kind'. I've operated DZs and travelled a bit and noticed that at all DZs the openess and trust we have for each other seems to be quite different than the rest of the society and it transcends all walks of life, education, gender, race and national origin.

At Herd Boogies, hundreds of people would leave vans and cars un-locked and un-occupied for days with personal gear, clothing, money and other 'un-mentionable' items available for the taking. And nobody ever took anything. I know there are occasional thefts at DZs but compared to 'normal' society, considering how open things are on a drop zone, it's pretty amazing.

So...my reason for this post: tell us about *your* thoughts.

Do you find non-jumpers a bit difficult to deal with because they aren't as open and honest and straight forward as jumpers?

Have you pulled away from non-jumpers as friends? Do you have trouble relating to non-jumpers now?

What do you think makes us have more respect for each other than than society in general?

You'll note, I've been jumping for a long time. If you are new to the sport, give us your impression of the people you've met.

If you've been around for ages, what are your thoughts on your friends and associates? Am I wrong in thinking that we are different?

Tell us!
Guru312

I am not DB Cooper

I am a noobie but I'll respond just to share my perspective.

Do you find non-jumpers a bit difficult to deal with because they aren't as open and honest and straight forward as jumpers?

Not really, I dont see attribute the personal nature of a person to their chosen hobby or profession. People are who they are because of themselves. One thing I do realize amongst skydivers is that they are more fun and open to ideas. I guess when we take the risk of jumping out of a plane - a few other risky things in life dont seem like that much of a big deal.

Have you pulled away from non-jumpers as friends? Do you have trouble relating to non-jumpers now?

Sadly I have driven away some of my whuffo friends. My non-stop fascination with skydiving has either bored them or made them think that I have gone nuts. I wish I could strike a balance but its just impossible to keep to myself this thrill.

What do you think makes us have more respect for each other than than society in general?

Frankly, I dont have more respect for a skydiver than a whuffo but I do have more admiration for a talented skydiver because I understand the complexity, danger and skill levels required by the sport.

You'll note, I've been jumping for a long time. If you are new to the sport, give us your impression of the people you've met.

I love the people in skydiving. I'm new to this country (USA) but in the 4 months I have been in this sport, I have made more friends and closer friends than in the 6 years I've spent in this country. No one treated me as an outsider - just a skydiver. I guess we all realize that being a close knit group we must look out for one another.

I'd say I felt much the same way when pretty much my life was skydiving. I started in 1973 and jumped heavily (for the time) making 500 jumps my first two years. I also experienced the things you did in terms of leaving cars unlocked, things in the loft, etc.

I eventually drifted out of the sport in 1980 and discovered that there are other hobbies/sports with much the same brotherhood feel. Currently, I'm a competative water-skier and have to say that the social interaction is very much like skydiving was. Things left at the lake on Saturday are still there on Sunday. Can't leave the cars unlocked though as too many outsiders have access.

I was also involved with a couple of Radio Controlled Airplane clubs and it was much the same.

I guess I'm saying there are other activities with some of the same kinds of people involved. There are not that many though as I have been involved in a few other sports where I had to watch my back and my stuff all the time (to remain nameless as to not offend anyone).

Went to a couple of skydiving boogies the last couple of years to hook up with some old friends and will be making a few jumps at the end of the month, have to see how the "feel" is now when I'm there.

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

I eventually drifted out of the sport in 1980 and discovered that there are other hobbies/sports with much the same brotherhood feel. Currently, I'm a competative water-skier and have to say that the social interaction is very much like skydiving was.

I raced water skiis all thru the 70s.....marathons mostly. I cant say I liked the people much. They were a bunch of "look how much stuff I've got" snobs.
During the same time I raced moto-x and enduro.
Its funny....my 21 year old daughter who rides has never even heard of Bultaco motorcycles hahaha.
Anyway.....the dirt riders that I knew then were just exactly like the skydivers....injury and mentality wise...that I met when I started skydiving in 1980.

I found my niche when I found skydiving and have never looked back.

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

I eventually drifted out of the sport in 1980 and discovered that there are other hobbies/sports with much the same brotherhood feel. Currently, I'm a competative water-skier and have to say that the social interaction is very much like skydiving was.

I raced water skiis all thru the 70s.....marathons mostly. I cant say I liked the people much. They were a bunch of "look how much stuff I've got" snobs.
During the same time I raced moto-x and enduro.
Its funny....my 21 year old daughter who rides has never even heard of Bultaco motorcycles hahaha.
Anyway.....the dirt riders that I knew then were just exactly like the skydivers....injury and mentality wise...that I met when I started skydiving in 1980.

Yeah, I'd have to agree about water-ski racing, they are a different breed than us (traditional slalom/trick/jump), present company excluded of course...

I am just a slalom skier myself.

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

Well, yeah...exactly why I started this thread.

I have a 13 year old daughter who is looking forward to her first jump. I've tried to explain the 'the people' but she'll have to experience them as much as the jumping.
Guru312

I am not DB Cooper

I am so far finding skydivers much like scuba divers. A close-knit group of people who ordinarily might not ever come into contact united by a common love/addiction.