2 2
skyjack71

D B Cooper Unsolved Skyjacking

this is from a webside

http://www.supermegatopia.com/profiles/profiles.php?thisLink=ferretman.txt

Ferret Man Real Name: Alexander Vayne
Base of Operations: Unknown
Marital Status: Married

The first vigilante to come to Distopia, Ferret Man single-handedly reduced the crime rate forty percent in three bloody years. In gratitude the city chose not to bring him up on several hundred charges of murder and instead erected a statue in his honor in what is now Memorial Park. Early in his career he took on two sidekicks: Sable Lass, who disappeared thirty some years ago, and Mongoose Lad, who still fights crime in the city to this day, along with Ferret Man's grandson and inheritor of the legacy: Weasel Boy. Ferret Man himself has been unseen for the past three years.

:oThat was interesting, but not what I was looking for but within the same theme.

B|The Ferret Man was in tight with the Mafia, but worked both sides. A journalist who referred to him as Ferret Man was found dead after she interviewed another man in regards to an incident in the 60's.

:oDuane claimed to have known this journalist and because of his reaction to my - affectionately calling him Mouse during those last few months (he was skin and bones and the most prominent feature was the ears). He went into a rage that I didn't understand and told me never to call him that again.

It was only during my research the last few yrs that I found a reference to Ferret Man in a story written about this journalist after she died and who I think was Murdered by the same people Duane was involved with.

I believe he may have walked a line between the Mafia and certain covert groups.

:)She was just a name of a journalist to me that Duane claimed to have known when he was a doorman. He took her paper to her door in the mornings.

I ran her name and read upon her. Things that Duane had said over the yrs jump out at me.

B|This was not in the beginning of my research into the underworld (note that I had already had my life threatened upon trying to extract information from a man who knew Duane as John. He told me "Duane knew people in High Places and if you want to be around to play with your grandkids someday then you need to destroy everything and not look back"

This threat came to me in the early yrs after Duane died when the only means of research I had was the telephone. In 2000 I got a computer and it woud be 2004 when I looked this woman up. Needless to say it was a strange coincidence.

The Ferret Man and Mouse and his having known the lady...I had already connected him to other covert actions. Upon verbalizing this information to some one I got another warning.
Copyright 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 2013, 2014, 2015 by Jo Weber

PARACHUTES? Does anyone know where I can view parachutes of the late 60's up to 1971. Duane had an item in his desk...I put in on a garage sale after he died. The man who paid me a quarter said it was a clip of some kind for a parachute - but, of course the dumb bunny (me) didn't connect that with what he told me in the hospital - I had pushed it out of my mind.

I tried to find the man, but I didn't have a name - all I knew was he collected military memorabila and that this item was use on a parachute. He could have been a snow bird down for the winter and not a local. This was in 1995 in the spring after Duane died.

I was told to go to a military museum but the ones around here do not have many chutes and can't help me. This item had what I call a chain (very sturdy)with two ends - one end had a ring and the other end is hard for me to remember - I have tried so hard to remember it.

Is there a place on- line I could find?

:SI had to come back to edit this- I remembered something - one of the ends had a very precisioned piece that moved - this movable piece had ridges or some kind of texture to make it easy to feel and move it. B|

I went to that site, but I didn't find anything.

:|They were shiny - like new condition. So upon going to some of the sites I would say that they were high grade metal. One I believe was triangle shaped - I think, but my memory is dull on this. The other end was retangular. They were connected by what I call a chain - he may have connected these two items himself as reminders. He may have cut them off of the chute.One of these items had a slide that had ridges, but I don't remember which one - I do remember playing with the slide thing.

[:/]Also in the drawer was a hook, but not connected to the other items...it appeared to very common....like the hook on a dog leash, but very smooth,

:)
B|You know before I go looking for these items - the man who provided the chutes should take pictures of hardware that may have been on the chutes that Cooper use - One used and the other cut open for its cords....they could also take pictures of items not on those chutes. Then have me try to ID the items from the pictures - I would need sizes - like 1 inch or 2 inch. I am sure that the hardware from those chutes would be unique to others of the time and since 1971.

If anyone knows how to contact this man if he is still living - please do.

There is a thing called a Koch fitting that was used on military style parachute risers. It attached the riser to the harness, was a machined metal fitting with ridges on the slide that activated the riser release.
The only thing missing is the chain, but I don't see why a Koch fitting couldn't be attached to a chain.
I don't have a picture of one, or access to one of those fittings anymore, but maybe someone here does.
Zing Lurks

did you go through ALL the pages of hardware?

Look on the left side of the screen, click on hardware. There are 14 pages!

Here's the link to page 1 http://www.paragear.com/templates/parachutes.asp?group=34&level=1
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."

"Your statement answered your question."

:|They were shiny - like new condition. So upon going to some of the sites I would say that they were high grade metal. One I believe was triangle shaped - I think, but my memory is dull on this. The other end was retangular. They were connected by what I call a chain - he may have connected these two items himself as reminders. He may have cut them off of the chute.One of these items had a slide that had ridges, but I don't remember which one - I do remember playing with the slide thing.

How about one of these?

1) Rocket Jet release
2) Koch fitting
3) Quick release box

Rich, Thank your, but it is not one of these. It was much simpler and looked nothing like those 3 items.

From the on-line site I would say that it looked more like a Delta Ring and Link or Dee Ring and link. For some reason I wrote down a rapid slide link - what in the devil do they use something like that for. NOTHING I saw was like the items in his desk, but would be in the family of items I have just mentioned.

I remember the slide being a very precisioned item.
I cannot remember exactly what connected the two items or how. The larger item is still dull in my mind.
I do feel if I ever see one or feel it I will remember.
I guess I am looking for a needle in a haystack.

:)link was more rectangular and the slide had ridges that crossed each other. It was very shiny and smooth. I went to a lot of sites and I am getting myself confused. I need to actually see these things and be able to touch and feel and to view only those of the late 60's and early 70's - so that I do not mess with my mind (more so than I have).:S

:)parachute harnesses and different releases - of course these are all the new items, not those of the 60's. I now have an idea of what he had in that desk drawer - just would like to see actual chutes and harnesses like the ones that were given to Cooper. What he had in that drawer was not as complicated as those of today...I haven't got a clue what to call the things.:S

:)thing that goes across the chest (with a V, hook and link) and then there are the things that go down to the groin also with this same look, but less complicated. If I had to say it was anything I have viewed it would be one of above. The size and feel of it in my hand will help. Sure wish the man had close-up photos of the chutes he sent to Cooper and I am sure that all 4 were different - I feel confident I would be able to pick it out.

Thanks so much guys and gals - this has been a real help - Until I see the real thing I am not going to look anymore - in order to keep myself on target.

Does anybody have the list of the types of rigs supplied to DB Cooper?

Name the rigs and/or types of gear, and pictures of the rigs are easy to locate.

Most stories written for the general public wouldn't have that detail I guess. But if anyone can locate anyone who was at the parachute center specified below they might recall what was there?

The parachute types specified by D.B. Cooper, according to author Gunther, were acquired from a sport parachute center in Issaquah, Washington-two standard emergency back-type and two chest-type auxiliary parachutes (the latter generally termed reserve chutes, for back-up emergency use if the main chute should malfunction when a sport parachutist was making a jump). The parachute center in Issaquah provided the two chest packs and Earl Cossey, a parachuting instructor at the Issaquah drop zone as well as an FAA Master Parachute Rigger, contacted at his nearby home, brought two back-type rigs from his parachute workshop there and delivered them to the parachute school. (The types and number of parachutes asked for by D.B. Cooper led to early speculation that the skyjacker might have freefall parachuting experience and that he might have an accomplice.)

from http://www.aero.com/publications/parachutes/9602/pc0296.htm
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

Earl J. Cossey is still listed in the FAA database as a Private Pilot and Master Rigger (his seal symbol is HF9) and his last medical was in 1976. If he's still alive, or not, is another thing as the FAA is notoriously bad at keeping their records up to date. There's a rule saying they must be notified within 30-days of a certificate holder's death, but they have no power to enforce that on anyone, least of all the airman in question, as they're dead . . .

Jo, if you want his last known address PM me . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

It was said that one was a Para-Commander, in a B-4 style container. DBC didnt use that one He took a 28 ft Un modified round in an emergency container . He was said to repack it on the floor tied to seats for tension. They dont know where he got out and inched the speed up to where they were amazed the Air-Stair didnt crumble. They calculated the ground winds at night were 40 mph. To jump somewhere over the world and land by gravity.backing up at 39 oscilatting doesnt seem to good an idea. The original one was kind of neat then went to hell. I jumped into a party after that and we were greeted by the police as other hi-jackers. before we landed.

I'd read they were both pilot's rigs, but your version brings up some interesting clues. I'm thinking your average paratrooper of the time wouldn't know how to pack so that could mean he was either a military rigger or an older/uncurrent sport jumper not familiar enough with the PC to repack it.

But, did he really need to repack at all, as asking for more than one rig raised the possibility of his taking one of the crewmembers with him and thus ruled out sabotaging the rigs. Maybe he was just overly paranoid or in his nervousness he zapped the rig open by mistake.

On the winds, well who really knows, what they were doing where and when he landed. And even if they were high a tree landing may have made the landing more survivable then less so. The fact they've never found the parachute, besides the fact it's an awful big search area, leads me to think he landed okay, got the rig out of the tree, and buried it.

The money the young boy found in the river mud was probably planted, to make it appear he didn’t make it, and a smart thing to do in hindsight.

The FBI is/was approaching this all wrong. The denigrated the guy, as a lowdown criminal scumbag taking a wild ass chance, and mainly because he beat them. (And during a time when J. Edgar Hoover is prancing around his office in a tutu). :S When rather they should have thought, okay, he definitely knew what he was doing, so how did he do it?

Either way you've got to admit, of all the great mysteries of our time, this one is a doozy . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

The rigs provided to Cooper: Now that I have made contact with Cossey perhaps we will get ACCURATE information about what was sent and used.

I have heard and read many different versions of the types of chutes provided and the one used. Hopefully very soon we will know the actual facts regarding this.

I requested he not send me just a picture of the chute used, but of several other chutes including those provided. If I can identify the hardware on any of those as being the items Duane kept in that drawer - and I pick the right chute ( hopefully I am able to do this)....then at least I will know the truth even if the FBI nor anyone else cares.

If this forum accomplishes no more than that it will have been worth it for ALL of us. For me it means going to my maker knowing that I have done all that I can do. For the rest of you - maybe I won't leave the legacy of "That Crazy Old Woman" and all of you will know that you did your part to help me.

I am eternally grateful to all of you wonderful kind people. Thank You - from the bottom of my heart.

The rigs provided to Cooper: Now that I have made contact with Cossey perhaps we will get ACCURATE information about what was sent and used.

I have heard and read many different versions of the types of chutes provided and the one used. Hopefully very soon we will know the actual facts regarding this.

Please keep us all updated as to your progress Jo, we are perhaps 'almost' as curious as you are...and wish you success in the quest~!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

"triangle shaped"

Could it be a Capewell?

http://www.paragear.com/templates/base_template.asp?group=246#H367

A couple diferent syles are shown on that page. And didn't some have a short loop of ~1/8" aircraft cable that may be the "chain"?

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

:)
:PSince I don't know what the pieces were used for or how they look when put together - I want to keep it that way until I get his pics.

B|The page you sent me to was very close - I will need to see the two pieces together and to hold them and feel them. Even if I do ID the correct hardware - it will do nothing toward the FBI getting off their butts.

They have more important things to in regards to national security..

>:(I think a few hours of manpower put into proving or disproving what I have told them would save time later when cranks call in saying they have Cooper. It would make them look good and bolster our confidence in our security.

:oThey might have to admit that an OLD woman actually did their job - they are never going to let that happen. :D

The Canon City photo looks more like a staff photo than an inmate mug shot. Any chance Duane had some professional association with the prison other than as a guest of the government?

:) BUT a family friend puts him else where during that time frame - ? Like a nightclub in Miami during the Bay of Pigs and he was dressed to kill, just like in the photo.

The family member was reliable and this was reported to the family during that time and documented in their records...could he have been on a special mission as an undercover agent for the government???

He had prior connections to the mafia and who better than a con-man with this prior connection to infiltrate them - in exchange for his freedom.

His connection to the mafia would continue through 1968. I am certain that in 1982 (approx) he did one last minor errand for the underworld or the government (which was the retrival of an item from a crime scene).

:|The statement I just made above could put me in jeopardy - at this point I refuse to give in to threats.

:PIt is time for me to speak up on things I have been closed mouth about - all of my research is documented and in the hands of more than one person. Those close to me and others know what specific incident I am referring to. The organization requesting this retrival knows what it was...but, unaware of anyone else having knowledge of it.

:|I have little to fear as most individuals involved are now deceased or so old it wouldn't make much difference....a cover-up by own government - that is a different story!

At this moment I don't know if I should delete or send ....those who don't know what I am talking about will think I have gone off the deep end. Oh, what the heck - most people think I am crazy anyway!