2 2
skyjack71

D B Cooper Unsolved Skyjacking

my computer screen doesnt have that great a resolution,so i cant read it. i am going by the shape of the body. the only difference between a demon and a duster is the slots on the taillites.one is vertcal the other car horizontal .BUT they are both chrysler products and NOT chevy/gm.but who cares?

;)Thanks for the car ID. I thought it was a Chevy, but too many of you say Dodge . I know nothing about cars, but I had been told it was Chevy and accepted that. Since it is a Dodge - that killed one of my theories.

B|The clues - the glasses. The other one is the briefcase - I have no idea what the briefcase looked like that Cooper had other than it was cheap and ordinary so that doesn't help.

[:/]That only leaves the Glasses - I enlarged them and turned them around and they are exactly like the ones on the composite.

Why this lady chose to send me this particular photo regarding Duane's past I know not. She told me it was so I could see what she looked like. I read too much into it. :(

Again thanks for putting me on track with the right information - this is what I need - second opinions and others who know more about certain subjects than I could possibly know.:S
Copyright 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 2013, 2014, 2015 by Jo Weber

The car tag is covered by the picture and frame. since this photo was made in the Atlanta, Ga. area I would assume - Georgia. Some people carried Alabama tags to get around the insurance. Does anyone have any idea what yr the car would be. Since he was living and working in S.C. part of that time it might be a S.C. tag.

Thank You my Friends.

The car tag is covered by the picture and frame. since this photo was made in the Atlanta, Ga. area I would assume - Georgia. Some people carried Alabama tags to get around the insurance. Does anyone have any idea what yr the car would be. Since he was living and working in S.C. part of that time it might be a S.C. tag.

Thank You my Friends.

The demon is a 1971 as is the car parked to the left which is a Swinger.

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

In the photo, compare the car on the left to this car;
http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~cirillo/dartpics.htm

Car on the right with;
http://www.foundationpc.com/brochure/71dmnad2.jpg

I didnt have to even look at the pictures. I used to race Mopars. I knew the years. The best car I ever owned was a 1969 Roadrunner 440 Magnum.

bozo

I knew that you knew what you were talking about.

What I wanted to do was provide an independent source for her to confirm the information.

For instance, if somebody had said, "The car on the right is a 1970 Dodge Challenger" she may have simply taken them at their word and lead her on a wild goose chase. Providing links to confirm information makes the entire endeavor a bit easier overall.

I think a huge portion of Jo's problems are that people have sent her a number of items she simply can't deal with; this photo with "clues" being one of them. There are no "clues" in to the photo. The glasses are meaningless. Thousands upon thousands of people wore glasses with frames like that in that time period. To attempt to connect the frames in that photo with the frames in the police artist sketch is futile and would never lead anywhere.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Quade states:

"There are no "clues" in to the photo. The glasses are meaningless. Thousands upon thousands of people wore glasses with frames like that in that time period. To attempt to connect the frames in that photo with the frames in the police artist sketch is futile and would never lead anywhere"

Jo replies: B|

There are Clues: - if you understood the circumstances - The photo is taken (so it says on the back 1970) but that has been crossed out to read 1971. I think it was made in 1972 BECAUSE: -- In 1969, 1970 and 1971 they made very little MONEY - 1971 there was basically no income ( I have the tax records - for some reason he kept them from 1969 until his death in 1995).

Your response and that of others who astutely corrected my error about this vehicle being a Chevy have provided more clues than you can possibly imagine.

How could a person or couple afford 2 new cars with NO CREDIT and no income? Again thank You ALL.

As for the photos of Duane - being compared with the composite - comparison was done by the Las Vegas ID system using Duane and other suspects - Duane came out number 1. Also that 2 forensic artist and the artists who did the composite for the FBI - "say you can't get any closer" and comments about a certain feature the witnesses told the artist about. but he was unable to get this across in the composite. I very quickly identified this one "feature" without being told what it was. It was one of the deciding points in my investigation.

I knew this was the place to be - the knowledge that this forum contains is beyond compare. I am eternally grateful for all of your help. ;)

How could a person or couple afford 2 new cars with NO CREDIT and no income?

That photo appears to be a flea market, where people with little money go to sell unused household items to help make ends meet. Wouldn't that contradict the image that he was living lavishly off of a stash of stolen cash?

I'm not trying to give you a hard time - just asking a question that others are going to ask you about that photo.

I've been following this thread with great interest.

How could a person or couple afford 2 new cars with NO CREDIT and no income?

----------------------------------------------------------
She also told us the guy was a crook. Those two cars sitting there, if they did belong to Duane would only amount to a total of about $5000 bucks, for the pair.
He could have stolen that cash somewhere.

bozo

What I am going by is - if indeed the two cars are new - he did not have the W-2's or 1099's to support the purchase of those cars in 1971, 1970 or 1972 except to have obtained it by other means. In 1971 the joint income was only $3700......yes, he was a thief as I have learned, but he was never very good at it as he ended up in 6 different Federal pens. from 1945 until 1968 -Served 17 yrs in a 23 yr span.

Having learned from you guys that those cars were considered new in those lean yrs is odd....(I just thought they were old used cars of those days)...Dumb Broad Syndrome!:o

Even if they only cost the total of $5000 back then - one has to consider the income. $5000 seems like peanuts today, but it was a small fortune considering the income.:|

Rich says:

"Wouldn't that contradict the image that he was living lavishly off of a stash of stolen cash?"

Jo Weber says:

In the insurance industry he was offered a position as a State Manager and he told me he could not take it as he had to "keep a low profile". I did not understand this because I was under the impression that he had gone to jail for a couple of months because he got in with the wrong people...never dreamed that I would someday learn 17 Yrs and six Federal Pens.

I encouraged him to take the position - which he NEVER regreted. We made good money (very good in those yrs) until he went out on disability in 1988.
Taking the position he grew a very thick mustache and let his hair get fuller and longer...he did not look like the same man. This was during the time that 2 books about Cooper came on the market.

Now I know what he meant by "low profile". He had learned how to HIDE - not to be visible - he survived when he thought he was going to die.

Photos obtained from family members and prison files. Help Me Identify this Man: This is photo I made of a man at one of our conventions in Colorado. He was a diabetic at that time in 1978 and his health was poor.

This man knew Duane from WA, OR and MT. I do not know the dates of their acquaintance as he inadvertenly mentioned it in a coversation when I asked how he knew Duane. I do not remember much of the conversation as we were only alone a few minutes, but this man had something to do with the aviation field....mechanic, repairman - may have been a helicopter or plane pilot. I remember his eyes the most - the shade of blue.
Before Duane returned he asked me not to mention our conversation to Duane - since Duane had never mentioned having lived in those areas - that it may have been a part of his life he didn't want to share with me.

The name was Ed Hurand (not sure of the spelling) and I don't know what the Ed stood for. The Hurand may be spelled Horand, Horan or any other variation you can find. Perhaps someone out there has more capabilities than I have in finding people. I know he would be deceased and that he would have been born in the 1924 to 1930 range as he was near Duane's age.

I have already checked the SS records. The name may have been an alias.

Please help Get this photo to any Old Timers you know in that area.

Mattmais writes: "I read the on another board. Don't people that search for antiques go to flea markets?

"I think that many profilers who have analyzed Cooper have suggested that he might be someone who was probably interested in antiques."

Jo Weber replys::)
I know of no such analyzes - or profiling. I am posting here for information regarding any skyjumping Duane L. Weber or his AKA's may have been involved in.

Almost looks like Bill Cole to me. LOL.

(I'm pretty sure it isn't. Bill isn't dead, for one thing, and wouldn't be old enough. But maybe Chuteless will comment.)
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

No its not me....I think.

Shortly after D.B. got his cash, a guy wrote an article about me, titled " How I would Hijack An Aircraft for $200,000. and Get Away With It". No one would publish the article. He took photos of me dressed and looking (quite) like the picture that was first published ( an artist sketch) with the thin tie, dark glasses etc,....... and also pix of me carrying my rig at Pearson Intnl Airport, holding a ticket for a flight in my hand,..... also one of me with rig buying flight insurance.

I don't think they were ever used.

Bill Cole LOL as I fade into the sunset..LOL lol lol

No its not me....I think.

Bill Cole LOL as I fade into the sunset..LOL lol lol

:)Mr. Cole, Did you really REALLY do that? If so I would love a copy of the pic.

AND if you are one of the old timers have you looked at the photos of Duane and the one of the other man - do you recognize them?B|

If you are asking about whether or not I did the hijacking...no comment

If you are asking if the journalist wrote the story and took the photos, that part is very true.

Unfortunately, I cannot locate the journalist who wrote " How I Would Hijack a Plane for $200,000. and Get Away With It".

I was asked to try to find him about two years ago, and just do not know where he is now. I would like to have had a copy of his article, but never thought it would be of interest in 2007.

I don't know if I am considered an "Old Timer", but I sure feel old at times.

If you are asking about whether or not I did the hijacking...no comment

If you are asking if the journalist wrote the story and took the photos, that part is very true.

Unfortunately, I cannot locate the journalist who wrote " How I Would Hijack a Plane for $200,000. and Get Away With It".

I was asked to try to find him about two years ago, and just do not know where he is now. I would like to have had a copy of his article, but never thought it would be of interest in 2007.

I don't know if I am considered an "Old Timer", but I sure feel old at times.

If you know the name of the journalist, it may be possible to find him with a little research...
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

"Photos obtained from family members and prison files."

This photo was taken around 1976. Please compare to the 1971 photo which showed his hair dyed and then compare with the black and white from 1970 which showed gray hair.

The quality of the photo is poor and it makes the eyes appear blue, but they were a DARK Black Brown.

Photo taken about 1981. He is leaning over so this is not the best profile. :o Look at the slanting forehead - there is a better profile. but with mustache (the profile is higher in other photos).

He grew a mustache when the book NORJAX came out in the 80's.

The composite artist tried to depict the forehead. Note that Duane was much heavier in 1981 than he was in 1971.

Photos: After the 2 photos I am attaching to this post, there wil be 5 more photos...saving the best for last.

B| #1. Sent to me by a family member
Estimate age guess would be early 20's.

:| #2. A strange photo found in the
Canon City Federal Prison in Colorado.

We have no explanation of WHY this is in
file.
This is the same prison 1960 to
1962 that has caused us some concern...in
1961 we have been able to doument him in
Miami Florida (dressed to the hilt)...this
information was from a reliable family friend
who placed Duane at Fontane Blue Night Club