2 2
skyjack71

D B Cooper Unsolved Skyjacking

well, i waited. can't wait longer. i'll be back to check out your dazzling stuff later.

Wow, you waited a whole four minutes! And then after waiting only four minutes for a reply, you proceeded with sarcastic insults anyway.

You must have more patience, little grasshopper.

Believe it or not, most people are not online all the time, anxiously awaiting messages to trickle in. It's usually a one-pass per day kind of thing.

And what you've done here says a lot more about yourself, then it does about the person to whom you directed your comments.

Hi jackwilson,

I could not remember if the armed robbery conviction was in '70 or '71. He did not do anytime for that crime; suspended sentence.

The '77 conviction was for interstate transportation of stolen property (the airplane) and he did about a year at McNeil Island in the Puget Sound area (a federal prison). He got himself assigned to the garbage truck detail which allowed him outside of the prison to go dump the garbage at a local landfill. Then Lenny Aikens would go out to the landfill a little earlier and hide a jug of booze that Ted would smuggle back inside to share with folks. B|

Jerry

Hi Jerry

Ya, that is my understanding also. The armed robbery resulted in no jail time, just probation or a suspended sentence.

Makes sense he got a job driving a garbage truck. According to the one article, Ted used to drive for 7-up in the mid 60's until he got popped for the armed robbery.

So, it doesnt' sound like Ted would have served any time with skyjack's husband before the Cooper hijacking.

Funny thing, the one show mentioned that TEd knew the FBI agent who investigated the Cooper case before the hijacking. According to the show, Ted called this guy 2 hours after Cooper jumped, and said that he didn't want him to think he was the hijacker. Sounds strange. Why not wait and see if the FBI catches the guy first? I wonder if Ted ever had a regular job after the Cooper case? It is kind of a strange coincidence.

jack

[.
:)You ALL are amazing and from the bottom of my heart I say "Thank You".

:|Just wanted to let all know that I am still alive, but having some difficulties at the moment. Due to a personal situation I have not been able to speak with the 2 gentlemen I located - regarding the past of one Duane L. Weber.

:|It may be a couple of more wks before I can talk to them - right now my focus is on the problem at hand which has nothing to do with "Cooper". Please be patient for the time being - I believe my search will soon end one way or another.

speaking of dan weber....and looking at the previous posts link..... is this true Mrs Weber?

There has also been a positive identification made by Robert Knoss of Minneapolis, Minnesota, a former acquaintance of Duane Weber, identifying him to be also known as Dan Cooper, who resided in Bloomington, Minnesota, where he practiced to be a skilled parachutist three years prior to the hijacking.

Matt says:

There has also been a positive identification made by Robert Knoss of Minneapolis, Minnesota, a former acquaintance of Duane Weber, identifying him to be also known as Dan Cooper, who resided in Bloomington, Minnesota, where he practiced to be a skilled parachutist three years prior to the hijacking.

:|Dear Matt: Since your profile does not say much about you - I need to know your source - and I will only talk about this privately or on the phone. Your profile indicates that you do not receive or accept private emails.

:)
:ph34r:In reference to the Winnepeg article -"the altered for Winnepeg composite" WAS NOT the one done for Shaffner on the TV program.
Copyright 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 2013, 2014, 2015 by Jo Weber

B|OK, guys and gals - I am able to do some things at this time, but my time and energy are still limited.

:|I buried my current spouse on Friday, July 20, 2007 after he took ill on June 11. He was in the hospital for sometime and then moved to a nursing home and died on July 1, 2007.

:PThe Wednesday before he died the preliminary diagnosis came in on my medical situation and it doesn't look too good - I have an appointment with an Onocologist / Hemotologist this wk and I am sure that I am in for many more tests before it is over.

:(Unfortunately I will also have to deal with legal issues regarding his death over the next few wks consuming a great deal of my time and energy.

:)PS - One good thing came out of the Winnepeg article - I got to see what Ted Mayfield looked like. When I have the time I will post a photo of Duane L. Weber (never before published) that shows a very close resemblance to that photo of Mayfield. Note that the composite done for Florence Shaffner did not have the little twist of hair in the forehead indicating a balding pattern.

:)actual reports given by the witnesses to the artist who did the original and remake composite. Not one article since 1971 mentions this tuff of hair nor is it in the FBI files.

skyjack 71, i'm sorry for your loss. i'm sure evryone wishes you well also with your current health problems. i'm guessing matt did not intend, nor is it my intent to cause you undue stress, but this case is a fascinating bit of american history that is still being debated and discussed. if i defer strongly to a case that to my mind seems to have much more logical and supported evidence from two freelance investigators that appear to have no previous motive for personal attachment to the way the cards fall, it is not meant as a personal slight or attack. you are making a claim in public and should not expect everyone to agree with you.
if you beleive in your case, i would expect a challenge would be met by you with happy eagerness at the opportunity to present another facet of your case and it's evidence. when you have the energy, convince me.
i'm not sure some of what your talking about, but the sketch on wikipedia was done with a sketch artist from one of only two people (the stewardesses) that ever actually got close to and talked with db (i know he used a fake name that was not a name he used for himself and it was dan, but i'll say db) and knew that he was commiting a crime (a reason to try to remember him).
florence did the sketch because she said none of the composites the fbi were circulating looked like db. (otherwise bing crosby may have been a suspect:) also, if composite sketches wer often reliable, we might have to release the unabomber:)
the one on wiki is the one done by florence schaffner. it is probably the most reliable to date.
also, if you are interested in seeing teddy on video at his current age, go to youtube.com and use the site search for "the real db cooper".
if i can further clarify my position for you, i'd be more than happy to.
hope all goes well with you.

;)Okay DBCooperCatcher - unless you are the one who POSTED to Winnepeg - then you have absolutely no way of knowing if that is the composite that the stewardess did - it DOES NOT match the one the artist did on the TV program with Florence.

:$If you are Catcher - you managed to get the other site locked down - the way you speak (post) is the same - the style matches. Perhaps you are not
the same - if so I apologize..

:SThat person was retorical and never produced any proof of his claims - all over the place and then went out and publicly accused Mayfield of being Cooper. I do not have the time or energy to deal with this again.

:) Also if I could FREEZE the tape and get a picture off of it you would see that the composite is not the same as the one on Winnepeg.

B|I don't have much time left and I refuse to spend it banging my head against a wall. If the subject is controversial and the other person is open with their identification - why not be open to private emails to discuss this.

:oSomeone out there only recently appeared on the site and has posted only on the Cooper thread.
Need I say more.

:oSomeone out there only recently appeared on the site and has posted only on the Cooper thread.
Need I say more.

While I personally find anonymous posting on most topics an act of cowardice, I do understand why someone might not exactly want their personal identity associated with this thread.

My "guess" is that "they" aren't out there stalking you, but rather are interested in the topic yet also slightly embarrassed to be associated with some aspects of it and are probably persons that already were ON this web site, just not posting under that particular name.

For instance, lets say . . . the Director of the USPA knew all about the DB Cooper case (actually knew who the man was and knew you were either right or wrong) . . . I could certainly understand his wanting to be anonymous in this thread.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

i will share two undeniable facts with you that you will just have to take my word for. i am not the one that got some other site shut down (how does a site get shut down? lawsuit?) is the site called winnepeg? never been there. your skills at matching a 'rhetorical posting style' are here flawed.
the other is that i cannot, no matter how good your goading skills, be goaded into something i don't want to do.
oddly enough, j.w. we run in some of the same circles and know some of the same people. rest at ease though, i am the furthest thing from a stalker. i do have great interest in this case, though.
i do not have interest in talking with you privately. speaking of 'retoric' (sic), i have not seen any hard evidence from you.

by the way, you are patently wrong about the sketch on wiki not being the florence schaffner sketch. sometime you should catch the episode of unsolved mysteries it came from.

also, if mayfield is not a very compelling case, why are you trying to show how duane also looked like him?

speaking of dan weber....and looking at the previous posts link..... is this true Mrs Weber?

I must have missed it, but, was this question answered.

Who is this Robert Knoss?

So, he knew Skyjack's husband, and that he used Dan Cooper as an alias?

If true, why would someone use a known alias, to hijack a plane, when other's are well aware of your use of this alias, and your skydiving expertise?

Doesn't make any sense to me?

Cooper only had to give the name once, so, it's not like he had to memorize the name, ss#, address, etc. Back in 71, you didn't even need id to by a ticket to board a plane.

If true, why didn't Knoss call the FBI, and collect the reward? And how could he remember an acquaintance's alias, years later?

WAs Knoss the instructor who taught Weber to dive? Cause i've never heard of him.

What was the name of the instructor? What skydiving center, as I've been to a few in the midwest?

jack

Matt is the one who mentioned Knoss. I directed a posting at him as to why he would bring this man's name up. I will not acknowledge this information in a public forum and stated that others can get hurt.. I also wanted to know his source. Unfortunately someone else decided that the posting was meant for them...and the subject got swallowed up in a lot of trival things.

B|Now, to do what I intended to do tonight. It would be great if the site had the ability to post a pic in the text, but I do hope that all will open both of the attachments.

:POne of the photos was taken in 1976 I believe and Duane had gained a lot of weight and let his hair go gray. Note the resemblance to another composite that was on a program about Cooper?

:PTwo is a prison photo take in 1960 - 11 yrs prior to the crime. Also note the resemblance to the other composite. I have SAT on these two photos waiting for this moment.

:PDuane was like a chameleon and you would see what he wanted you to see - also depending on the view from which you had of him - 1. face to face the forehead was not so high. 2. If you were standing over him as a stewardest would have his forehead would appear very high. 3. If you were looking up at him his forehead seemed very average.

I am not saying he looked like Mayfield at all, but he does also look like the other composite with the exception of that twist of hair. If Ms Shaffner could see these along with Mayfields wonder who she might ID as Cooper.

why would you "sit on" something untill now?

all sounds like strategy to me.

going to such lengths to protect the identity of someone who commited the crime of knowing an alias (i agree with jack - alias thing makes no sense) or teaching someone to skydive is very noble, but it sounds like an excuse to not produce anything verifiable.

how do i know it is the schaffner sketch? i have a tape of the show.

If you took the time to read through the whole thread, you'd find that she just not that long ago realized her ex husband may have been involved in the skyjacking and then started her research. I hope she can finish putting all the pieces together before her time is up.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

If you took the time to read through the whole thread, you'd find that she just not that long ago realized her ex husband may have been involved in the skyjacking and then started her research. I hope she can finish putting all the pieces together before her time is up.

Not true,

Duane Weber's name has been associated with the Cooper case since 2000, when a reporter did an article about Weber in Newsweek or US world magazine. That is over 7 years ago, and in the article, weber admits knowing about her husband possibly being cooper since 1995. So, we are talking about a minimum of 7 years, max, of 12 years. What is the definition of not long ago?

Plus, it this Robert Knoss is such a dangerous name, then, why is his name on winnepeg? Maybe for his safety, it should be removed.

It's true that people can change their appearance, but, it is difficult to change from a man witht a full head of hair, to one who is balding.

Also, we heard this story about robert knoss. Ok, so, who taught Duane how to fly airplanes? Cooper knew flap settings, about gear, aftstairs, range, etc, not something a non-pilot would have on the tip of his tongue during a hijacking.

Plus, I heard a report that the fBI had closed their case on Duane, since there isn't any evidence suggesting he is Cooper. As a matter of fact, the only reason the FBI opened a file, is because someone called Himmelsbach 100 times, and got him to phone the FBI and have them open a file on Weber. Truth be told, without Himmelsbach, who now doubts that Weber is a good suspect, Weber would have never even been considered. Seems like himmelsbach was told of an airline ticket from Seattle to POrtland in the name of Cooper, and then when pressed, this ticket somehow vanished. Interesting.

jacko

again, i wish jo well, but not at the expense of truth. show me something compelling. convince me. i see nothing compelling about her case backed up by evidence. i have my doubts, but not a closed mind on this fascinating subject.

also, i have things i want to get done before my time is up. i ask no one for sympathy and i welcome an attack on my views and the views of others that are sound and well founded. i can back them up.

i do seriously wish her well, but if i was at death's door, would i get less challenge for a case i believe in? one's got nothing to do with the other. i just like more verifiable facts - something with meat i can chew on. if jo wants to find the truth (in my opinion, if we knew the truth about the case 100%, she would reject it.) don't "sit on" evidence. lay it all out at once. more truth the better. maybe someone could chew on it and come up with some good suggestions. but so far, i'm sorry, it seems to be structured like a propaganda campaign.

or maybe it is a learned response to putting something out there to grab attention, and not being able to take it back. like the ticket stub.