2 2
skyjack71

D B Cooper Unsolved Skyjacking

Can anyone answer this question:
:o
How can a 6 time felon with 17 accumulated yrs in prison. purchase a gun and get arrested for trying to obtain a drivers license using a false identification in 1990 (claimed to be dis-oriented due to his having to rely on dialysis to live) spend 72 hrs in a mental holding area and be released and his gun returned to him?
:S
It is a felon in the state of FL. to attempt or obtain a drivers license with false identification. He was using his old John Collins documents to obtain this license and he did later successfully obtain the drivers license and I have it

I have just gave you guys a lot of food for thought.
The FBI has totally ignored this fact.

How can a 6 time felon with 17 accumulated yrs in prison. purchase a gun... spend 72 hrs in a mental holding area and be released and his gun returned to him?

Back in those days there was no background check for a gun purchase, so the gun store would not have known he was a felon. Even if they had, a gun could be purchased from a private individual, outside of normal sales channels.

The 72-hour thing in Florida is called the "Baker Act", for the legislation which allows the state to hold someone for three days if they are deemed to be a danger to themselves or others. Once a psychiatrist clears you of such allegations, then you are released, and your property returned.

Again, maybe they didn't know his criminal history when the returned the gun. They didn't have the fancy computer systems back then that we have now, with centralized databases, and states didn't necessarily share info with other states. Or perhaps he then went out and bought another gun to replace the one that the state kept.

There are always ways for criminals to get guns. Gun laws don't stop them.

Ouote from John Rich:
" didn't have the fancy computer systems back then that we have now, with centralized databases, and states didn't necessarily share info with other states."

Your reply does not explain how they can whitewash -both felonies. One - an excon in possession of a gun (obviously, they didn't run a background check). BUT, - obtaining a drivers license in the state of FL with false identification is a felony. How, did they miss that one?

As law inforcement I would think they would have questioned WHY, was this man trying to obtain a false drivers license - age 65 - with renal failure? Compassion maybe, but with the purchase of a gun and the false Id - that should have been a red flag.

what year did this happen

Are you asking the year of the Skyjacking or the yr he obtained a gun and false ID? The skyjacking was Nov. 24, 1971.

The arrest for obtaining a license with false ID and being held for 72 hours happened in 1990 in FL.
Copyright 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 2013, 2014, 2015 by Jo Weber

sorry should have been more specific i was asking for the year of the arrest and detainment. i think in the 90s their was alot of scandals with mvd/dmv employees selling ids. if it was through the goverment it might have checked out.
light travels faster than sound, that's why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak

[:)Still alive - although with all of the blood tests these past few months - it is a wonder I have any left at all.

:|I am going to call the FBI this wk about the DNA as I feel I need answers as to what they meant by "No Finger Prints". If I do not get the appropriate answers from them then I will do what I was going to do a few months ago, but backed down due to my current husbands health and my own.

B|If this campaigne that I am going to embark on does not get results - I have to let go (so I say now), but you never know what the future will bring. I have been working on a letter with a summary of my search and copies of photos - these I intend to send to anyone I think might be able to help me. Prison authorities, newspapers, state and federal personnel....if I am going to go down as the Crazy Woman then I will go with a bang.

:|Should any of you have professional experience with summary proposals or letters, I would appreciate if you would private email me with your ideas - things that I need to say and things I should not say. I need to get a current list of governors, states attorneys, congress, senators and newpapers. Any ideas and sources would be appreciated

;)Hopefully toward Nov of this yr I will be able to go to WA. I want to retrace that trip again. I only had one day after the camera crew left to find what I found with the help of 4 other ladies my age and an off duty detective. The "guide" the camera crew had was useless.

:oThere is something else I have to do while I am there - I want to fly over the area I believe he jumped from (not where the FBI and others seem to think he landed) and release his ashes. Part of his ashes will be dumped at the other 4 places he took me to...an area behind the airport, the site on the Columbia, Lake LaCames and the area where he walked out of the woods.

just a suggestion, when you dump his ashes, why dont you do it while performing a Tandem Jump??

B|I am 67 yrs old, with osteoperosis. One bad knee (needs surgery), disk and vertebra problems plus multiple health problems. Due to an automobile accident in 2000 - I have enough broken bones for one life time...not going to push my luck.

:)

just a suggestion, when you dump his ashes, why dont you do it while performing a Tandem Jump??

B|I am 67 yrs old, with osteoperosis. One bad knee (needs surgery), disk and vertebra problems plus multiple health problems. Due to an automobile accident in 2000 - I have enough broken bones for one life time...not going to push my luck.

:)

Make sure you take someone to video the event, then. Video -and- stills if possible. I'm sure there's a local cameraflyer in the area who'd love to accompany you if you want someone with experience. They can shoot from the door of the plane and will have a rig on just in case. :)
ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

This wk of May 9, 2007. I called the Seattle FBI speaking with the former public relations director. He told me he did not know who handles the case at this time. He did state that the case is still open and that they would be unable to provide me with the information regarding the Finger Prints mentioned to me upon return of the DNA.

Not willing to take "No" for an answer - pursued the matter and was able to talk with another agent. I did not understand what I was being told - but understood that no finger prints were found to match any suspects....I immediately retorted that was what I had been saying all along - that Duane's FBI file had been altered. He reply with something else I didn't understand.

I pleaded with them in the past to check Duane's prints in the FBI file against his prints from the other 5 prisons he resided in. If they run those they will at least find a match to the prints on the DNA evidence I supplied to them. I did not wipe any prints off and one of those items only Duane and I had touched to my knowledge. His prints HAD to be on that item.

Perhaps I misunderstood. I am trying to find out who is currently handling this case at this time. I am going to follow the phone calls with a letter. Wish me luck.

http://www.newsregister.com/news/story.cfm?story_no=222165

Sheridan man laughs off D.B. Cooper talk

Published: May 24, 2007

By PAUL DAQUILANTE
Of the News-Register

SHERIDAN - Dan Dvorak and Matt Myers are convinced they've found D.B. Cooper alive and well in Sheridan.

No doubt about it, they say. It's former City Councilor Ted Mayfield, a longtime skydiving and aviation enthusiast.

To which Mayfield responds, "I'm definitely not D.B. Cooper."

Mike Donahue of Portland's KOIN-TV, broadcast on channel 6, produced a three-part series on Cooper. In the course of preparing the series, he interviewed Dvorak and Myers, a pair of amateur detectives who claim they have thoroughly researched the Cooper case and concluded Mayfield is the hijacker who parachuted out of a Northwest Airlines passenger jet over Southwest Washington on Nov. 24, 1971, and disappeared with $200,000 in cash.

"I've got to ask you," Donahue said to Mayfield, concluding the third part of his series. "Are you D.B. Cooper?" Mayfield laughed and said, "No, I'm not. I'm not quite that clever."

---

A man who identified himself as Dan Cooper boarded the jetliner in Portland on Thanksgiving eve. Before the plane landed at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, he handed a stewardess a note saying he was hijacking the aircraft.

He ordered her to inform ground officials he wanted $200,000 and four parachutes delivered to him when the plane landed. He displayed what appeared to be a bomb.

After the plane was refueled and the money and parachutes were delivered, the plane took off with only four crewmen and the hijacker aboard.

Shortly thereafter, Cooper jumped from the plane. It was presumed at the time that the jump occurred over a forested part of northern Clark or southern Cowlitz counties.

The incident drew worldwide attention. Treasure-hunters and psychics have tried to solve the mystery, but to no avail.

In February 1980, a boy from Vancouver, Wash., 8-year-old Brian Ingram, found $5,800 in decayed money on a Columbia River beach about five miles downstream from Vancouver. That triggered widespread speculation it was part of the Cooper loot.

No other trace of either the hijacker or money has ever turned up.

Mayfield said he has followed the Cooper case over the years. He's even participated in celebrations held in Washington to mark the event.

He has also parachuted into the area where it's believed Cooper landed, as part of the celebration. He described the experience as a fun thing to do.

Mayfield said he spoke with FBI agents at the time of the hijacking. They wanted to know if it was possible to jump out of a Boeing 727.

Though he was a skydiving expert, he didn't know. But when he learned the plane's rear stairway could be lowered in flight, he concluded it would be.

Agents told Mayfield they believed the hijacker had, in fact, parachuted out.

Given that, Mayfield said, "I knew what he wanted. He wanted to go to 10,000 feet at 200 mph."

Ralph Himmelsbach, who worked the case before his retirement from the FBI, told Donahue he had dismissed any notion about Mayfield many years ago.

That hasn't stopped Dvorak and Myers from coming to their own conclusion, though. Mayfield said they've visited him three times at the Sheridan Airport, and have told him they're convinced he's Cooper.

They told Donahue, "He might be completely innocent, but we'd like to know where he was between 2 and 8:15 p.m. that day."

Mayfield said that's easy. He was at a parachute school in Donald during the day and had a dinner engagement he kept that night. He said there are people who can vouch for his whereabouts.

What's more, he noted, "They said Cooper was tall and slender. I told them I'm not tall and slender. I'm four inches too short and 40 pounds too heavy.

"They said they were going to sell a lot of books, and asked me, 'Do you want to be D.B. Cooper?' I told them to get out of here."

Mayfield said his telephone started ringing right after the first part of the series aired. He said people he hadn't spoken to in 15 or 20 years called.

"They wanted to know, 'How did you get that started?' I told them, 'I didn't,'" he said.

Sheridan businessman Val Adamson, a former mayor now serving on the council, has known Mayfield for years. He caught the series, and could hardly believe what he was seeing and hearing.

"Is Ted capable of such a thing?" Adamson asked. "Oh yea," he concluded.

"Is he smart enough? Oh yea."

Adamson added, "Ted was good enough in all aspects to handle that with no sweat, if he put his mind to it. But he doesn't fit the physical description too well.

"Like all of us," Adamson said, "he's done some stupid things in his life. But he's the kind of guy you can't help but like.

"To think he would do something like that, I don't think so. To endanger people like that, that's not in him."

---
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Dan and Matt sound like idiots... I saw the 20/20 show years ago about Mayfield's DZ and the excessive deaths he had. He looks NOTHING like the hijacker based on the sketches and description. He may have been bullish about how he ran his DZ but he is by no means smart enough to pull a stunt like that hijacking off.

I am inclined to believe skyjack's husband was DB Cooper.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

[reply
"To think he would do something like that, I don't think so. To endanger people like that, that's not in him."
---

The person that made this statement is a complete idiot or doesnt know Mayfield very well.
Mayfield endangered more people than can be imagined just by owning a dropzone and his bodycount over the history of that same dropzone is evidence.

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

reply]

The person that made this statement is a complete idiot or doesnt know Mayfield very well.
Mayfield endangered more people than can be imagined just by owning a dropzone and his bodycount over the history of that same dropzone is evidence.

This is no doubt very true. A lot of trusting people died there that shouldn't have.

I didn't know Ted that well, but you couldn't help but like the guy. I have no doubt he was wild and crazy enough to do something like hi-jack a plane. My first thought though was that he didn't look anything like D.B. Cooper during that time period. Sounds like the F.B.I. was grasping at straws.

I still think D.B. Cooper is laying in the bottom of the Columbia River....Steve1

B|I read that article and found irony in the fact that it was published May 24. On May 24 1996 one yr and two months after Duane died - the day I found out who Dan Cooper was and the day I first contacted the FBI.

:PHe did not tell me he was D.B. Cooper - he told me "I'm Dan Cooooper." I had been told that my husband would die in 5 days (but lived for 11) and I did not even think about who Dan Coooper was (he cooed it out). Always wondered how he said it to the ticket agent.

:|By the way who is Dan Dvorak and Matt Myers? I appreciate being made aware of such articles. I emailed the author and suggested his efforts as an investigative reporter might be useful in helping me find Ed Hurand.

:)First these two guys go on a TV series in Nov of 2006 in N. Dakota claiming that Mayfield is Cooper and then Mayfield is interviewed and says that he is not.

:|It has taken this poor old mind 3 or 4 days to figure this out. These guys told Mayfield they were going to sell lots of books, etc. One of these guys is the same guy who claimed in another forum he was "DBCooperCatcher" and would be going public - looks like he did and made a fool out of himself along with someone else who bought into the hype.

:PThis person was very confrontational and cause me a lot of problems - takes all kinds. I love you guys here on this site - wish I could meet all of you.

B|I would really like to speak with this Mayfield, because of a part of my story which has been repeated many times in the past. Duane took
me to the Columbia in WA in 1987, from the Vancouver side, he pointed out an area and said behind those trees is the tower to the Portland airport and then pointing to the West he said "I have a friend who used to live over there." Did Mayfield live in Portland in 1971 as was indicated ? How did an ex-con become a city council man?

Last I heard Ted was still living at Sheridan, Oregon. You might check to see if his phone number is listed. I don't think he served any time in jail. I'm not sure how he avoided prison, with the seriousness of his crimes. I think he even had a stolen aircraft on his dropzone when he was busted. There are others on these forums that know his situation much better than I. I'll bet he'd enjoy talking to you about D.B. Cooper....Steve1

Hi steve1,

He still lives in Sheridan but does spend winter-time in the Tuscon area; his new wife is from that area.

He has spent more than one turn in the pokey, though. B|

Jerry

Yes he has. That is what was said when 20/20 did their story on him in the late '90s. I'll have to look for the VHS tape that I used to tape that episode on and review it. Basically they focused on a student who died on his first jump, then focused on Ted's past and history of running that DZ. I couldn't believe at the time that anybody could have a record that bad... so many fatalities... :S

He was a stubborn fool too. The authorities even confiscated all of his skydiving gear, and what does he do? Go borrow gear from another DZ and be back in business the next weekend! :| At least that is how I remember it. I still have to review the tape.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

:)Thank you for the information about his doing time...this is critical to me. If Mayfield was the person Duane made reference to - and they knew each other from a prison - Did Duane learn to skydive with him (Mayfield may have known Duane under another name).?

[:/]Mayfield could have inadvertently taught this man to jump, and was afraid to state to the FBI that he might know who Cooper was to the FBI - for fear that he would incriminate himself when he may have had no knowledge that Duane would use the skill to commit a crime.

;)I read somewhere that a man claimed to know who Cooper was, but would not tell anyone until all who were involved had deceased. If it was Mayfield who made that statement - all he has to do is give me a first or last name and I will give him the time and place of death. One idividual someone might be protecting - a key - "Days of WIne and Roses".

:oWhat do we do if we actually solve this thing on DZ?

What do we do if we actually solve this thing on DZ?

Move on to the Lindberg kidnapping? ;)

Who "really" killed President Kennedy ?

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.