reprobate

Student Over Sixty

OK, I have been wanting to join the skydiveing world for some time and finally woke up that I wasn't better or younger! I have made my two tandems, liked it fine and the instructors encourged me to keep it up, as does my ladyfriend. I have made reservations for starting my AFF. Now. POPS web site is no more, The Skydivers Over Sixty Society doesn't have one. I would like some input on STARTING skydiveing at 63. Most old skydivers, I feel, have been at it for years.I am not worried about fitness, I am better than my peers, I ride and race Mtn, Bikes and rock climb. I am not worried about the equipment as I have used life support, rescue and safety equipment all my life and trust well maintained, properly used equipment. My concerns are stability, position etc. Thinking about doing the front and back rolls is already giving me pause. Any older new flyers on this forum?
Sorry about the length, don't know how to make this briefer.

Hi, Reprobate!
I'm not your age, but here's my thought: GO FOR IT!!!!!
Look, as long as you are in decent health and relative fitness, I see no issues with doing it. And if you have the support of your romantic interest, so much the better. Many people will never, ever taste the joys of flying through the skies, learning the real meaning of the word freedom...you have that chance, TAKE IT AND JUMP!
There are some "older" folk on this site ("older" is such a perjorative term I don't like it at all) - why not post this over on the Let's Talk, too? Some people there may be able to tell you more about jumping from their perspective.
Congratulations, and rawk on!
Ciels and Pinks-
Michele
If you really want to, you can seize the day; if you really want to, you can fly away...
~enya~

Thanks, I am going to re-post it. I intend to go for it, already have. My concerns were what adjustments may be needed due to age. Slower reflex time, vison not as sharp, such as that. We are supposed to quit tail gateing past 50, age not MPH!

I have been thinking this over and over in my head, as to jump or not to jump. I love the fact I am not the only "older" person here wanting to skydive. I have done two tandems and am absolutely hooked!!! I am 54 years young. I do have concerns as to starting this sport at my age. I know I am in shape, but I also know the limitations age put upon you. I know my bones will break easier, I know my responses may be slower, these are major concerns of mine. Almost all the younger skydivers will say "go for it", but I just haven't convinced myself that I should. I also know there are older skydivers, but they have been skydiving for years, not just considering taking up the sport at this age. I don't like the thought of doing tandem after tandem just to fulfill my need to "fly", but I may just do that. Please keep posting as I am really interested on what you decide to do. I wish I hadn't waited so long to go skydiving, it is something I have always dreamed about doing.
J
"Catch your dreams, go skydiving".

I am a younger skydiver so I cant comment on experience. I can tell you though, that there is an older gentleman at our DZ who started jumping less than a year ago. He just does his own thing. He does some hop and pops and some solos and even a few 2 ways. He doesnt feel the need to get into the bigger formations because of his later start and like you said, little bit slower responses.
However, he does pull a little higher to make sure that he has enough time for anything. He jumps a nice sized main and does great on landings and he isnt in near the shape that you sound.
Overall, he just loves to jump. He lights up whenever he comes out to the dropzone.
No, you wont be out competing with the four way teams. But, you could definately participate in a sport that you enjoy. We all have our strengths that we capitalize on and we all have our weaknesses that we compensate for, no matter what the age. If you enjoy it, definately think hard about going for it.
D

With modern equipment there really is no reason age should be much of a factor. You can jump using a large main canopy that will set you down softly even on a no wind day. You can match that with an equally large reserve just in case. You can use type 8 risers with large rings for more mechanical advantage. Of course you can add an AAD just in case the worst case happens. As far as back loops, turns and flying in freefall. It doesn't take very much physical effort. If you can pull your knee's up toward your chest you can back flip. Pull one arm in a little and you turn. Cock a leg some and you turn. As for stable delay you need to arch which is much harder on the ground then in the air. Most of the work is done for you by the air flow over your body. Now it can get very physical if you want it to. But it sure doesn't have to. As for reflexes well you really only loose 10ths of seconds not enough to be concerned about. Pull a little higher and you have no problems. Age just isn't that much of a factor anymore if you equip yourself properly.

I started at 52. I'm now 56 and have made 900 jumps. I have been on a world record attempt (didn't make it) and competed at the national champiopships (came 5th) in that time.
If you're fit and you joints don't ache too much, go for it. Gravity still works however old you are.

I started at 52. I'm now 56 and have made 900 jumps. I have been on a world record attempt (didn't make it) and competed at the national champiopships (came 5th) in that time.
If you're fit and you joints don't ache too much, go for it. Gravity still works however old you are.

I have many friends who are in their early 50's and they jump all the time. One of my friends is in his 60's, and he makes more than 200 jumps every year. I'd say go for it. The new chutes make landings soft once you learn to fly them. In the 70's I knew one jumper in his 50's, and he seemed ancient to the rest of us. We were all in our 20's. I saw one guy in his 60's train back then, and he shattered his leg on the first jump. That was because you trained on round canopies back then, which landed a lot harder. The new square canopies are a dream to jump and they allow us old farts to keep right on jumping. It's a much safer sport now. 63 is a good age to start in my opinion. Steve

Thanks, All.
I've made reservations at the DZ for tomorrow before I even read these. I have been checking equipment and other sites and what I am seeing is sort of in line. A little larger main and reserve for obvious reasons. Saturday we are MTBing a place called "The Wall" a 20 jump which I walk so I under stand bones + breaking!
Also the older gent doing his own thing sorta looks like what I had in mind.
The higher pull makes sense.
Fortuneatly, I have enough income to get good gear when the time comes. I am an engineering consultant and the work I do has had me in riding harnesses, rescue gear, life support systems so I trust well maintained, properly operated equipment. I feel this is a plus. The only equipment I am unsure of is mine

My reference to keeping it up was double entendre in keeping with my Reprobate reputation.

Well, no one ever said I was good at understanding double entendre...LOL...no wonder I never think anyone is interested in me...ROFL....;)
(note to self....must get out more often, must, must, MUST!!!:)Ciels and Pinks-
Michele
If you really want to, you can seize the day; if you really want to, you can fly away...
~enya~

Jim Brierly is 77 and we do 8ways frequently at our DZ, so I don't think that it is all that big a deal. As for doing the training and all of that, if young dolts like me can learn it so can you. The only thing I would recommend is to be conservative since old bones take even longer to heal!

I finished my student training and got my "A" right after my 50th, and am approaching my 400th jump, and my 53rd. This is the most wondrous of sports, I wonder if I could ever give it up for good and am still thrilled with it every time I go. By all means, sir, go for it....once you get past that basic training, you really DO get to fly!
While it is true that vision is likely poorer, reflexes -and healing - slower, and the learning curve steeper at our age, it also true that you are less likely to feel compelled to do those things - like quick downsizing of canopies - that demand quick reflexes and necessitate healing.
Good luck and post your progess for us, okay?
Jeff

Go for it. shouldn't be a problem at all. As long as you are physically fit, which you seem to be. Atleast better than me. As for the reflexes, well, if you are indulging in physically challenging activites like Mtn Bilking and Rock Climbing then I think you have whatever you need. Besides, you don't need lightning reflexes for safe skydiving anyway. You need the ability to be able to think, understand and act in a smooth and calm manner. I think you'll make a good skydiver so go ahead.