AviationTD

Unusual Incident: Blinded by Condensation

you should have had plenty of time to unbuckle it and buckle it to your chest strap if it was too foggy to see. been there before.

Might want to think through that advice a little bit more. [:/]

Personally, I'd never attach something to my chest strap (like a helmet) that could potentially interfere with my ability to see and reach my handles. Even if I open at my normal altitude (3Kish) and decide my main is happy and landable, there are scenarios that could cause me to need to cutaway and/or fire my reserve later on (canopy collision in traffic, self-induced malfunction to name but two).

it wasn't advice :S It was an opinion. I was simply stating what I would do in that situation. Not what someone else should do. Your life, your decision. No one else. :)

>I was simply stating what I would do in that situation.

Reconsider. Don't spend your time under canopy futzing with your chest strap and helmet; either keep it on your head, hold onto it or (failing those two things) drop it. Better to have to replace a lens than get a rod in your leg.