mjosparky

Denny "Bear" Gaynor died

Denny "Bear" Gainor (D-138) died of a heart attack at Perris today. He had made a couple of jumps went out to his car and died.

Aw that just sucks. I met Bear almost three decades ago at Perris and he was always a great guy to jump with a newbie.

If ya gotta go...thats a great way to finish up.
Go easy brother.

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

Denny "Bear" Gainor (D-138) died of a heart attack at Perris today. He had made a couple of jumps went out to his car and died.

Aw that just sucks. I met Bear almost three decades ago at Perris and he was always a great guy to jump with a newbie.

If ya gotta go...thats a great way to finish up.
Go easy brother.

We visited Perrisonce about 20 yr's ago didn't know anyone and this Big guy with a white beard introduced himself as Bear and asked if we wanted to get on a load with him and his buds.:)

I've never forgotten the one tiime we met bear "back in the day", his old time atitude to new folks on the DZ and still remember the guy with a smile on my face.

Ditto on what Bozo said. bearB|

I'll be looking you up when I go to the other side.:)
R.I.P.

for so long i have enjoyed the monthly publications within our sport, and would smile
whenever I saw a photo, cover shot, or calendar page which was of Denny "Bear" Gainor..

... I never had the pleasure to meet him,,,, but came to know his name through those pictures...

I also feel like I came to Know his (likely) personality, while he was on the dropzone......

His santa pics... led me to believe he was "jolly", his smiles led to to believe he was Happy, and his unique self portraits, Boom mounted cameras,, balloon exits, etc. led me to believe he Loved skydiving.......
I believe I was right.
to his friends and family....
i wish.. peace...
jmy...

:(

I did a "chase the Base" kinda dive with him and a bunch of others at Perris in 1992. I was new at the DZ, nervous as hell and I was about to start the AFFCC with Don Yahrling, and a long way from home in South Africa.

He made me feel at home with the "We tripple digit D's gotta stick together" comment. (I'm D515 in South Africa)

This sport is losing a chunk of history each time someone of this stature passes.

BSBD Bear.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Hi Spark,
Grim, really grim!! I'll miss the Bear. He was a good friend. Go to the "BLAST" from the past on the Air Trash site to the 20 yr. survivors reunion photo, Bear's in the back. How many others in the photo that you recognize are gone too??
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

:(

I did a "chase the Base" kinda dive with him and a bunch of others at Perris in 1992. I was new at the DZ, nervous as hell and I was about to start the AFFCC with Don Yahrling, and a long way from home in South Africa.

He made me feel at home with the "We tripple digit D's gotta stick together" comment. (I'm D515 in South Africa)

This sport is losing a chunk of history each time someone of this stature passes.

BSBD Bear.

t

This is so sad:( Bear was such a great guy, we always used to kid each other about our D licence numbers. I once bet him my NZ D was lower than his US D number, mine is D 139 and his was D 138, he won and I bought the beer that night. Whenever we would see each other at the DZ our greeting was "139, how's it going? Hi 138 just great!" RIP bear, I'm glad I got to know you.

Mick.

Well shit ...

Flashing back .. mid 60s .. Oceanside ..

This really intense guy .. about 9 feet tall .. built like Little Abner ..
Fresh off the Army team .. Burned out attitude ..

Flashing forwards .. a couple years ago .. old farts reunion ..
Same guy .. still about 9 feet tall .. but now mellow and reassuring ..

Hey mjosparky, maybe you could space these out
a little more, seems like every time I come over here
someone else has died.