steve1

1973 Collegiate Nationals??

Does anyone know where the Collegiate Nationals were held in 1973? Anyone good at skydiving trivia questions? It must be written down someplace. I've had several people tell me that the Collegiate Nationals were held at Star, Idaho in 1973. But I think it was more like 1974. Just doing some research, and I don't have a clue where to look....Steve1

The national in Star, Idaho were much later, perhaps around 1980. I was there. Mike Truffer was the meet director, and he could probably tell you. I remember the unseasonable, bitter cold. I did one or two wind-dummy loads.

He could also tell you about a double inverted moon he received from a couple of prominent skydivers, both of whom are now called "Doctor."

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Darkwing,
We had a boogie this past weekend at Hamilton. There were a lot of Star jumpers there, including several old timers. We were BSing about how I competed down at Star in "73" at a big collegiate meet, and they were trying to tell me it was the nationals. One guy even said, "You must have been really drunk not to have known that you were competing in a national meet." I know my memory is bad, but I'm sure it was a collegiate meet only and not the Nationals in 73. Thanks for the info.....Steve1

He could also tell you about a double inverted moon he received from a couple of prominent skydivers, both of whom are now called "Doctor."

Is one of those Dr.'s Pete Hill? I visited with him briefly at the boogie and I see him every year at Lost Prairie. Sounds like a really fun guy. I heard he has some really good Wally Benton stories....Steve1

I don't recall a big meet at Star in 73, but there was one in 72, although not a Nationals. In any case the Collegiate Nats were much later. I'm half a world away from my logbooks (I'm in China), so I can't give you the details.

One of the Doctors may have been Pete Hill, but you'll have to ask him for confirmation.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Does anyone know where the Collegiate Nationals were held in 1973? Anyone good at skydiving trivia questions? It must be written down someplace. I've had several people tell me that the Collegiate Nationals were held at Star, Idaho in 1973. But I think it was more like 1974. Just doing some research, and I don't have a clue where to look....Steve1

Conference meet:
Boise State Collegiate Parachuting Championships
Star, ID
April 1-2, 1972
and
April 21-22, 1973

NCPL Championships:
DeLand 1972
DeLand 1973
SIU, Carbondale, IL 1974

Collegiates were held in Nov or Dec. I doubt if ID would be a good site for NCPL at that time of the year.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

SIU, Carbondale, IL 1974

Don't know about any of the others, but the '74 meet was actually held in DeLand over Thanksgiving weekend.

Gary
(Georgia Tech team, Second Place, Novice Accuracy!)

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan

I believe the 1977 Collegiate Nat'l champ was
L. Bruce Jones. Currently using a phone number in Rathdrum, Idaho area. Owner of US Submarines INC

Everytime I used to run into Ottley he would tell me about attending the Collegiates at Star. I'm sure Dr. Pedro would remember.

Steve, sorry I missed Hamiltion. I was worried about flying through all the smoke. Sounds like you all have a good thing going there.

RobH

73 In Carbondale, ILL run by Southern ILL. Sport Parachute Club. Meet director Tom Schapanski, chief gofer myself Bill Wenger

Sorry about late reply just started reading these

Bill~

Was that actually held in Carbondale or over at Dave's in Sparta?

I remember being a 'Skydiving Saluki' and having you come and address one of our club meetings prior to the 1980 collegiate nationals...which was held in Marana.

Later that year I ran into Tom Schapanski at an old timers accuri meet in Annawan, Il.

I gave him one of our SIU SKYDIVING TEAM tee-shirts which he didn't take off for the whole 3 day get together! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Yep, we held it right at the airport in Carbondale . The club set the pit and DZ up just for the Championships. Also back then the meet was held over the Thanksgiving holiday. I wanted home field advantage over the West Point and AFA. Was able to get a few ringers to transfer in from other Ill schools. (Debbie Schimdt, Tim Katares and Jim Whiting) Won just about all the gold medals but didn't have the depth to win overall school. Think we were the last to come close. Do you have any info on where Tom Schpanski is?

Ted Strong showed up at the Pioneers (aka old farts) reunion in Utah last month with a huge stack of 8x10 B&W photos, most of them taken by Tom Schapanski and many also by Joe Gonzales. Jim Arender took a bunch of them away with him (most of them duplicates and most of them of him.:P).
I guess Ted took the rest of them home; I had wanted to scan a lot of them but didn't have time. But I guess Ted knows where Schapanski is.

HW

I competed at the Collegiate Nationals at Deland a couple of times. Would have been 71-72 or 72 73. I'd have to dig out my old logbooks to be sure.

Tom Schapanski and I went head to head at a lot of Style and Accuracy Florida Parachute Council events in the early 70s. My ex and his ex competed against each other on a regular basis as well. If anyone knows where Tom is, tell him Pat Moore says hi.
DZGone.com
B-4600, C-3615, D-1814, Gold Wings #326, Diamond Wings #152.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

Can't say for sure about 73 because I was finishing up graduate school then but I have the answer for 1971, 1972, and 1974. I was a judge there one year - might have been '74. See attached photo.
DZGone.com
B-4600, C-3615, D-1814, Gold Wings #326, Diamond Wings #152.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

Thanks for posting this NSCR423. It brought back a lot of memories. I never got my ACE patch. I guess I should have asked B.J. to get one. I was in the first and second ACE star with Sully, B.J., and the others. That was at Star, Idaho in 73. I was the only "red neck" on the team, and the most inexperienced jumper. Most everyone in our group was hairy and freaky looking. Our team name was Nine and a Piece. B.J.'s sister was the only girl on the load. The Air Force Academy didn't think much of us until we beat them in competition. Those were the days. Sully has been gone for about 40 years now. He was one of my heroes in life. I was told that he burned in at Athol, Idaho a few years later.