elias123

the meaning of ...

Jerry-
I'm still working on copying it for both you and Jim Straight. I tried to scan it at home but the pictures came out with a weird distortion pattern. An attempt at photocopying them was decidely sub-par. I'll still get it done.

Steve-
Definitely remember Jack and his then-wife Melinda. Otis (elevator) remains a legend. One of the pictures in the Susan Ferrell's 1979 Sheridan yearbook (referenced by Jerry above) was of an unnamed Beech at an unnamed Boogie with "Otis was here" painted on the side.

Jeff-
In the SCR/SCS picture above I was using your 5-cell as my main.

I still have the SCR/SCS application form with everyone's names in my first logbook. I'll list them when I get home. Of course who would forget the woman in red and black--Nancy Sardella (mmmmm).

April 27th, 1980

Back Row: M.P. Malatt, Mick (Mick ole Bean) Sodlerman, Nancy Sardella, Nancy Smith, John Casey.

Front Row: Terry Kowing, Randy McCoy, Marty Scott, Larry Kelly

Witnesses: Ted Mayfield, Barbara Mueller, Jack DeChristopher

Some of the spelling of the names above may be off since I was getting them from their signatures.

Randy McCoy
SCR #9592
SCS #5132

April 27th, 1980

Back Row: M.P. Malatt, Mick (Mick ole Bean) Sodlerman, Nancy Sardella, Nancy Smith, John Casey.

Front Row: Terry Kowing, Randy McCoy, Marty Scott, Larry Kelly

Witnesses: Ted Mayfield, Barbara Mueller, Jack DeChristopher

Some of the spelling of the names above may be off since I was getting them from their signatures.

Randy McCoy
SCR #9592
SCS #5132

I thought that was Nancy Sardella!! did not know her then but she worked for me in the late 90's building harnesses for the Reflex. hope she is doing well.

Mick.

Hi steve1,

Elevator (Gary Olson) now owns an airplane repair facility on the MacMinnville airport.

The last time I saw Jack D he was racing cars (this was maybe 10 yrs ago, he has known to post here in the past); he was racing a Datsun 510 as I recall. I think he just got frustrated with the whole skydiving thing.

Jerry

Jerry,
I visited with Jack D. on this forum about a year ago. You might want to look up "First All Collegiant 8-Way". There is a good picture of him there. I'd bring that back up here, but I'm about computer illiterate, and not sure how that's done.

I wrote a story recently BSing about that event complete with pictures. I thought I might send it into Parachutist and see if they might want it. But then again I can't spell either, so this may be the only place people read my stuff.

At any rate it sounds like Jack is enjoying racing and has a lot of memories of jumping way back when. He sounds like a great guy. I wish I had known him better.

I recall making several jumps out of a Beech with Jack that was piloted by Elevator or Otis when Elevator was about 15. We'd take off at Sheridan and jump at a nearby airport. (Does MacMinville sound right?) We built little stars by todays standards, but back then they were considered "big". Those were the days!.....Steve1

Hi steve1,

I'm about computer illiterate,

Welcome to the club. I just had Sparky post a photo because I'm lost.

I doubt that you would have jumped in Mac, it's really too big. Might it have been the Flying M? That is a small airport built around an attempt at a resort. A lot of jumps were made into there.

Jerry

Question about the Star Crest soloist. A few years ago I got my Star Crest but not my Star Crest Solo. We did a 10 way Star. I was 3rd or 4th to leave the plane and 8th to dock. The person organizing the dive said that the people who were 8th, 9th and 10th out of the plane got the soloist award. I never argued the point as I can see that if you leave the plane later and dock earlier it takes more skill than I who left the plane earlier and docked later! However the wording simply says that to earn the soloist award you free fly the exit, dock 8th or later and hold for 5 seconds. I've always kind of wondered about it... what do you think?

1 hour ago, sonicfreak said:

what do you think?

Hi sonic,

I have not had any contact with them in a good many years.  However, I do not remember the order on leaving the aircraft as having anything to do with it.  Only the order of entry into the formation.

Bill Newell died a number of years ago & I do not know who is running it now.

Contact the people who are running the awards, not some other guy somewhere.

Jerry Baumchen

(edited)

Sonic (and anyone else interested in Star Crest awards):

I corresponded with Rachael Newell, Bill's daughter, back in 2014.  Current information for them at the time was:

https://www.facebook.com/StarCrestSkydivingAwards
[email protected]

Administrators:
Rachael Newell & John Machado 
200 Hollyhill Drive 
Bakersfield, California 93312 
(661)831-7771 
[email protected]   

Good luck!

Jim

Edited by WV177RG
Corrected misspelling

On 8/4/2019 at 12:29 PM, sonicfreak said:

I was 3rd or 4th to leave the plane and 8th to dock. The person organizing the dive said that the people who were 8th, 9th and 10th out of the plane got the soloist award. I never argued the point as I can see that if you leave the plane later and dock earlier it takes more skill than I who left the plane earlier and docked later! However the wording simply says that to earn the soloist award you free fly the exit,

For future reference - you qualify. It never has said when you leave - only when you dock. 

http://www.starcrestawards.com/scr-awards/