elias123

the meaning of ...

i have a question and ask it here because i think im gonna get a better answer here

what does SCS, SCR and ASO mean/stand for?
and is there another reason why the pea gravel pit was invented besides for accuracy jumping?

thanks in advance :)
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane"

the SCS (Star Crest Soloist) and SCR (Star Crest Recipient) are awards for certain freefall relative work proficiencies. SCR is given for being in an eight person star, and SCS is awarded for flying into the star eighth or later. An ASO is an Area Safety Officer.

The Pea's is also the site for the SCR award ceremony...

Hi elias123,

While the peas may be the site of the awarding they were ONLY developed for downwind accuracy.

Commonly known as 'back in the day.'

Jerry

Jerry your correct as always but I'll amplify if you don't mind.:)

AKA "pea gravel or die" parachute's were one size fits all even the little people could get hurt doing downwinders, even if they didn't miss the peas. The big fella's (real men) same size canopy B|

BTW Acc wasn't measured in cm more like inch's and feet although folks like Mr & Ms Hayes, GK's , Ms Sterns could get consistent dead centers depending on the winds. the DC was approx the size of a coffee cup.:o.

First point of contact was detrmined visually and marked manually by a judge who also had to be out of the line of fire for the next person in the stack[:/]

R.I.P.

If you had ever landed running with the wind for the tee you would know why the pea pit was invented. The 1962 Nationals the pit was sand but the world champinship at Orangfe,Mass. that year was a bowl with a pea pit

The only thing I miss about jumping rounds is getting driven into the ground like a stake.

POP'S 9817 SOS 1172
  • Like 1

Hi slug,

your correct as always

Wow, you could not be more wrong.

But thanks anyway,

Jerry

PS) I was at an accuracy meet in Snohomish in early '68 when the Dead Center disc went from 15 cm in diameter to 10 cm in diameter and everyone was concerned because 'it was so small.' The 3rd or 4th competitor out the door of the first plane up was Jim Lowe, one of the best there ever was. When he got the DC disc, A Canadian jumper by the name of Bill Hardman commented that 'If you hit it in the center, then it is no matter how small it is.'

If you had ever landed running with the wind for the tee you would know why the pea pit was invented. The 1962 Nationals the pit was sand but the world champinship at Orangfe,Mass. that year was a bowl with a pea pit

See some pictures of landings in the bowl at the VI World meet (1962):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lee_guilfoyle/189641070/
posted by Lee Guilfoyle, D-50. I wasn't there, but I'm pretty familiar with the Bowl and I don't see any peas in these pix. I'll ask Lee and others who were there.
For other pictures of Lakewood and Orange in the 60s and early 70's see the rest of Lee's pictures on flickr and also take a look at:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/parachuting1960s/pool/

HW

I agree with the designations, SCR was all free flown . But as always for the beer , some places would launch an AFF graduate in a four way against the rules and the trail plane four would dock. It was an ego boost for your buddys to say your ready for your SCS, also for the beer, but you didnt care they believe in me I am somebody . There werent that many places where you could all jump out of the same plane when it started..
SCR2333 SCS1346 NSCR455

Just another datapoint ... pea gravel wasn't "invented" for accuracy landings. It was a grade of gravel that was in common use on military bases (and other places) for decorative landscaping, filling outdoor ashtrays, etc. It was found that pea gravel absorbed a good bit of impact, drained well when it rained, and didn't create dust on a hot & dry day.

As has been noted here, sand was also used for early target areas. I remember one place that had a sawdust pit for a target area, but it was a soggy mess after a rain. The first year that the Nationals were held in Tallequah, they used something more like rocks--much to the dismay and discomfort of the competitors.

Being a Michigan winter jumper, usually you could see the peas while the rest of the dz was snow covered maybe because the stones absorbed the heat The only thing you didnt know was that it refroze and you now had a stone popcicle to throw your butt at down wind Owie Owie Owie. As a friend once said about down wind accuracy you sure learned to miss a whole lot closer.It kind of disproves the drains well part to a degree

Hi howard,

If I remember correctly, the bowl at Orange was sand and during the World Meet in '62 they plowed it daily.

The first use of pea gravel was at the '63 Nationals at Issaquah.

Also, there are two types of pea gravel: washed and unwashed. You definitely want the washed because the unwashed has some sand in it that will pack down hard.

Jerry, with a not-so-perfect memory
  • Like 1

SCR is given for participating in any 8-way or larger formation that was formed after freeflying (old school: no grips) the exit.
SCS must be a star, and entering 8th or later

madjohn

Main goals in life: Be on the "Jumpers Over Eighty" (JOE) World Record and attend the Lost Prairie Boogie once after I'm gone.

SCR is given for participating in any 8-way or larger formation that was formed after freeflying (old school: no grips) the exit.
SCS must be a star, and entering 8th or later

madjohn

This is what is says now.

SCS (8190 + Recipients)

The Star Crest Soloist must freefly the exit (no grips) and must participate in a freefall formation involving eight (8) or more skydivers. The SCS candidate must dock eighth (8th) or later. After docking, the formation must be held together for a minimum of 5 seconds. Candidates may not participate as a member of this dive, un-grip the formation and retake grips to earn this award.

But you are right, back in the day you had to break grips on a “Star” formation 8th. or later. And in both case, SCR & SCS in had to be completed.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Hey Sparky,

This reminds me of when I qualified for SCS. I entered 8th (or later, who remembers?) in a somewhat complicated formation (not a round star). So I send in the info & $$$$. Then I get this letter back on their letterhead about how I did not qualify because it was not a round star.

Whoa, got my dander up and I sent back a blistering letter about how much more difficult it was in getting to 'your' slot rather than just anywhere on a 7-way star.

Got a reply back from Bill about how his teenage daughter had written to me because he was out of town and she was not aware of the changes.

I felt really crummy about giving her such a bad time in my letter.

I hope that she grew up without any trauma over it.

Jerry

I hope that she grew up without any trauma over it.

Hell she grew up with Bill as her Dad something like a nasty letter would be small change.:P

If I remember right, too many dead brain cells, her name was Teresa and she ran the SCR/SCS program for a number of years. She was a real good kid.:)
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I was at an accuracy meet in Snohomish in early '68 when the Dead Center disc went from 15 cm in diameter to 10 cm in diameter and everyone was concerned because 'it was so small.' The 3rd or 4th competitor out the door of the first plane up was Jim Lowe, one of the best there ever was.

Jerry, it is SO great to see Jimmy's name in print. He was certainly someone hard to forget. Thanks for making me smile.

AZChallenger JFTC99/02 GOFAST300 STILLUV4WAY
"It's nothing 1000 jumps won't cure..."
- Jeff Gorlick, Seattle Sky Divers

Jerry-
Here's a picture for you, from "back in the day" at Sheridan.

It was my SCR/SCS load. I had a mere 62 jumps so for the last dive of the day I was going to lay base for the 8-way round and get my SCR. Unfortunately one of the last guys to dock took out the formation and since I had the least experience I was the last to get back in. SCR and SCS on the same dive. However, I couldn't attend the celebration at The Green Frog since I was still underage.

In reference to an earlier thread, One of Sheridan's twin Beeches is in the background. I don't think I have a pic of the AT-11 (aka "The White Whale").