1 1
bluskytrvlr

Jumping All Fifty States

wmw999

A bad spot at Pepperell might take you to New Hampshire...

Wendy P.

A long spot at Schweighofen, Germany will see you landing a round reserve in a French swamp!
Guess how I learned that????
Hah!
Hah!
  • Like 1

Hello Justin,

Sounds like you are having a ball!

I have been the record keeper since 2001. My wife and I finished The Fifty States in 2005. So far we are the only record holders who have at one time or another had contact with all the others. For years I held out several numbers in the interest of fairness for some folks we had heard rumors of doing the 50 states many years ago. My hope was to give the numbers out somewhat close to the order in which folks completed the states. In 2015 I began discussions with some of the other 50 State Fallers and we decided to clean up the list and numbers and go with confirmed folks and issue the numbers as we became aware of their completing The Fifty States. Lew Sanborn is the 14th confirmed Fifty State Faller. Sarah Bray Nuckols is also helping me with the list.
A mile of highway can take you a mile
But a mile of Runway can take you anywhere!

Blue Sky Traveler

Here is the current list, correct to the best of my knowledge.

FIFTY STATE FALLERS
> (from)
> 1. Bobby Valenzuela Arizona
> 2. Shawn Leslie. I forget where Shawn is from, I have his email, will ask.
> 3. Karen Hawes. Currently California
> 4. Satomi Yamanaka. Japan
> 5. Atsushi Yamanaka. Japan
> 6. Betty Moore. Texas. Finished in Hawaii October 2005
> 7. Harry Moore. Texas " "
> 8. Walt Russo. Georgia
> 9. Jack Barnes. Georgia
> 10. Nicole Smith. Georgia???? Nicole, where would you like us to put for state?
11. Sarah Bray Nuckols Virginia
12. Matt Nuckols Virginia
13. Eric Lee California
14 Lew Sanborn Missouri

Blue Sky Traveler

Thank you so much for the info!! :) I have done 8 more states in the last 4 days and completing Virginia & West Virginia tomorrow. The bad spot for New Hampshire is going to work out great ;) I have taken pictures next to all the DZ signs and have most DZO's signing my log book for the proof. I'm really excited to soon be joining this small group of Skydivers :)

Ok new count! I went thru my logbook again and after today I will have actually jumped in "28" different states. There was 6 additional states I have been to Dropzones but was weathered or no loads each time. These will all be revisited and jumped! So the only east coast states I'm missing after today will be Maine, Mass, New Hampshire & Ohio (all of which I have been to and had bad weather in the past)

After that I need Louisiana, Mississippi, Arkansas, Kansas, Nebraska, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, New Mexico, Nevada, Idaho, Oregon, Washington, Alaska & Hawaii!

The goal is to have at least 1 jump in each of these states by the end of this summer. The following maps have been narrowed down to 1 pin per state with red being jumped and purple the suggested location of a place where I need to jump.

Sounds great! The challenge is a huge part of the adventure.
Wyoming took us three trips, Georgia took FOUR visits (weather and a/c problems) and we ended up jumping in Waycross of all places......Nevada took two tries for us. Rhode Island was tough but a miscommunication actually got us our jump there. ... South Dakota was a whole story in itself getting that jump on The Fourth Of July. Lots of fun, lots of memories.....

Blue Sky Traveler

wmw999

A bad spot at Pepperell might take you to New Hampshire...

Wendy P.

So will a cross country in SNE in Maine if you miscalculate the uppers. (Ask me how I know).
Don't worry about nuthin' cause nothin's gonna be okay.

FIFTY STATE FALLERS
> (from)
> 1. Bobby Valenzuela Arizona
> 2. Shawn Leslie.
> 3. Karen Hawes. Currently California
> 4. Satomi Yamanaka. Japan
> 5. Atsushi Yamanaka. Japan
> 6. Betty Moore. Texas. Finished in Hawaii October 2005
> 7. Harry Moore. Texas " "
> 8. Walt Russo. Georgia
> 9. Jack Barnes. Georgia
> 10. Nicole Smith. Georgia????
11. Sarah Bray Nuckols Virginia
12. Matt Nuckols Virginia
13. Eric Lee California
14 Lew Sanborn Missouri
15. Justin Baker Indiana

CONGRATULATIONS JUSTIN! What a journey.

Blue Sky Traveler

Blue Sky Traveler

bibliwho

***The best I've done is three states on one jump. And it was so much fun that we did it again as soon as we got packed.

How does that work? Landing at Four Corners, w/ one foot in Colorado, one in Arizona, etc?

Not landed, but included. We flew about six miles into Kentucky, C&P at 10k, flew to the river and crossed into Wv, then flew North to Huntington where I turned left, crossed into Ohio rhen landed at South Point. Between how Huntington looks from the air, the seemingly endless forests and the river of it was incredibly beautiful especially being a perfect blue sky and fluffy cloud day.

bibliwho

Gotcha. This is a pretty cool map of all the multi-state line intersections: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/lifestyle/trifinia/

Who knew there were 65 spots where at least 3 states meet?

Map even tells you which ones are on private property, are harder to get to, are actually in a lake or river, etc.

Thanks for the map. If I ever get my retirement dream together, which includes a small but self-contained van/camper, it could come in handy.
Bob

I have been toying with jumping all 50 states since by accident I have a decent chunk. Then it occurred to me that all of mine have been wingsuit jumps. Has anyone wingsuited all 50 yet?

Thanks!
Summer Rental special, 5 weeks for the price of 4! That is $160 a month.

Try before You Buy with Wicked Wingsuits - WingsuitRental.com

To the best of my knowledge nobody has wingsuited in all 50 states but I'm thinking about going back thru and flying my wingsuit in all the states that I didn't wingsuit in. I just flew in Hawaii 2 weeks ago and it was amazing! :) It's at the end of my 50 state video:

https://youtu.be/g4n3vx8nqQw

This was a fun interview I did talking about going back they and wingsuiting in the states I missed

http://www.wndu.com/video?vid=448730523

Justin Baker FSF#15

Latest update as of 10/20/18
CONGRATULATIONS Annette and Joel!

FIFTY STATE FREEFALLERS
(from)
> 1. Bobby Valenzuela    Arizona
> 2. Shawn Leslie.            I forget where Shawn is from, I have his email, will ask.
> 3. Karen Hawes.            Currently California
> 4. Satomi Yamanaka.     Japan
> 5. Atsushi Yamanaka.    Japan
> 6. Betty Moore.                Texas. Finished in Hawaii 10/05        
> 7. Harry Moore.                Texas "                                                        
> 8. Walt Russo.                   Georgia
>  9. Jack Barnes.                Georgia
>   10. Nicole Smith.            Georgia
11. Sarah Bray Nuckols       Virginia
12. Matt Nuckols                 Virginia
13. Eric Lee                         California
14 Lew Sanborn                  Missouri
15. Justin Baker Illinois
16. Louise Gallen Arizona
17. Scotty Gallen Arizona
18. Annette O'Neil USA
19. Joel Strickland Great Britain

Blue Sky Traveler

bluskytrvlr

Hello Folks,

We have an update to our group of Fifty State Fallers!
CONGRATULATIONS:
Walt Russo and
Jack Barnes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The list now stands at (In chronological order-please correct me if I am wrong):

FIFTY STATE FALLERS

1. Bobby Valenzuela
2. Shawn Leslie
3. Karen Hawes
4. Satomi Yamanaka
5. Atsushi Yamanaka
6. Betty Moore
7. Harry Moore
8. Walt Russo
9. Jack Barnes

As Betty and I travel around we are always searching for someone who should be on the list but is not. If our list is correct Jack is the last of the single digits.

We jumped again in Hawaii last month and talked with Satomi and Atsushi. The largest collection of FSF's in one place! We jumped at Vandalia last weekend and met John Cox aka Chile. I believe he has 42 states and is actively pursuing the remaning 8.
Anyone else who is working towards jumping all fifty states please PM me Thanks!

Most of us can add two more if you include:

The State of Confusion
The State of Disarray

Just sayin'
If you leave the plane without a parachute, you will be fine for the rest of your life.