1 1
bluskytrvlr

Jumping All Fifty States

Hello Folks,

We have an update to our group of Fifty State Fallers!
CONGRATULATIONS:
Walt Russo and
Jack Barnes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The list now stands at (In chronological order-please correct me if I am wrong):

FIFTY STATE FALLERS

1. Bobby Valenzuela
2. Shawn Leslie
3. Karen Hawes
4. Satomi Yamanaka
5. Atsushi Yamanaka
6. Betty Moore
7. Harry Moore
8. Walt Russo
9. Jack Barnes

As Betty and I travel around we are always searching for someone who should be on the list but is not. If our list is correct Jack is the last of the single digits.

We jumped again in Hawaii last month and talked with Satomi and Atsushi. The largest collection of FSF's in one place! We jumped at Vandalia last weekend and met John Cox aka Chile. I believe he has 42 states and is actively pursuing the remaning 8.
Anyone else who is working towards jumping all fifty states please PM me Thanks!
A mile of highway can take you a mile
But a mile of Runway can take you anywhere!

Blue Sky Traveler

Lew, what a great person! We made four jumps with him today at Vandalia including my wifes 2,000th jump. Lew still needs a jump in Hawaii then he would be a fifty stater.

We will be in Fairbanks working next week and Lew gave us the name of a fellow who may drop us north of the arctic circle if we are lucky.

Thanks for responding!

Blue Sky Traveler

I know Lew Sanborn D-1 has made 49 some years back and my have made the 50th by now.
POP D-47

As there is no DZ in New Hampshire, one way to log it is to have a bad spot at Pepperell, MA, less than a mile south of the state line. (The DZO frowns on the practice; do it when she's not looking. B|)
I take full responsibility for a bad Otter spot at Pepperell several years ago which forced Lew to land in a field just north of the state line. Aware of my poor spotting ability, his wife positioned herself to take pictures with the "Welcome to New Hampshire" sign in the foreground.

HW

I remember back in the late 60's or early 70's, Charlie Merritt who owned a dz just north of Phoenix, flew his 182 to all lower 48. He took a couple of jumpers so they could log a jump in each state. They then flew commercially to AK and HI. Don't remember their names, but they did log jumps in all 50.

BCA

Thank you! I will work on researching this. I have heard of Charlie doing the lower 48 in his Cessna but had not heard about them getting AK and HI. Do you have any contact info for anyone? THanks again for responding!

Blue Sky Traveler

FIFTY STATE FALLERS

1. Bobby Valenzuela

Bobby V did his on a Suzuki 650 in ONE YEAR. His collection of MC plates from each state, worn out chains and sprockets hangs at Marana Skydiving Center.

I only have 26 in 28 years. :|

https://www.tdcparole.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I made state #49 about 9 years ago in Alaska in a 4 way with Lew Sanborn...STILL haven't jumped in NEW MEXICO!

Skydive El Paso. They jump in Santa Teresa right across the border.
Russell M. Webb D 7014
Attorney at Law
713 385 5676
https://www.tdcparole.com

I remember back in the late 60's or early 70's, Charlie Merritt who owned a dz just north of Phoenix, flew his 182 to all lower 48. He took a couple of jumpers so they could log a jump in each state. They then flew commercially to AK and HI. Don't remember their names, but they did log jumps in all 50.

BCA

The Guiness Book of Records used to have a category "most travelled skydiver". The one name that I remember was Kevin Seaman (sp.?) who did the lower 48 with Charlie Merrit in a Cessna Skylane. Maybe he was the only one to complete the trip. I don't think Guiness has this in their records these days - try to get an old copy.

I seem to remember meeting Charlie many years ago - he was running a bar on Morningstar Beach on St. Thomas.

I seem to remember meeting Charlie many years ago - he was running a bar on Morningstar Beach on St. Thomas.
====================================

Hmmmmm.....sounds like I better talk to him in person, this is far too important to be handled over the phone. I'm thinking January would be the best time for an interview:)

Blue Sky Traveler

====================================

Hmmmmm.....sounds like I better talk to him in person, this is far too important to be handled over the phone. I'm thinking January would be the best time for an interview:)

One thing I do remember quite clearly - a 26er of Cruzan rum went for less than a buck - but everything else is a bit - shall we say hazy. I wonder why?

I'm currently working on all 50 states and 100 Dropzones. I have 72 Dropzones right now. After my trip to Arizona this week and a trip up thru California I will have Apx 80 DZ's. I couldn't jump at all of them though, some because of weather and some was tandem only Dropzones I found out only after arriving but I have jumped at most complete with DZ Sign photo. Met a lot of amazing people and heard some incredible stories along my journey.

Hello Justin,

Great to hear of your Fifty State Adventures! Good luck to you and have a ball. Please let me know when you finish, I have become the unofficial record keeper of 50 staters. How many states do you have so far?

Blue Sky Traveler

I hit my 104th Dropzone today :) I'm still working on the 50 states with pictures at each dropzone. How many total numbers have been given out so far? Still just 17? I will be finished before the summer is over I'm finishing up the north east now. (Still figuring out New Hampshire, Maryland and Rhode Island. Any ideas?)

This Canadian has jumped in 7/10 provinces: Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba, Alberta and British Columbia. I also taught a rigging course in Saskatchewan ... does that count?

I have also jumped in 10/50 of the United States: Arizona, California, Florida, Illinois, Maine, Massachewsetts, New Jersey, New York, Washington and Wisconsin. Does Puerto Rico count?

I have also jumped in 5 European countries: Austria, France, West Germany, Netherlands and Portugal. Does teaching a rigging course in Switzerland count?

A bad spot at Pepperell might take you to New Hampshire...

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)