mjosparky

First 400

Hi Sparky,

I sent him this yesterday:

"Hi Dr Eco,

A little up date about some of them here in the Pacific Northwest:

John Scott D-93 John died about 10 yrs ago from a sudden, massive heart attack.

Jack Ady D-103 I was in the Snohomish area yesterday and decided to go to the airport for lunch and ran into Jack. He is retired, living right off of the airport and got married for the first time about 3 yrs ago; a real optimist.

Rich Johnston D-134 Rich had a stroke just after the first of the year and is now slightly disabled. He lives near me and we used to get together every month or so for breakfast or lunch; I hate to visit now in his condition, but I do need to.

Jens Jorgeson D-304 I haven't seen Jens in over 20 yrs but a mutual friend saw him last summer and said that he is in good health.

Jim Wright D-364 Jim was killed on a jump about 15-18 yrs ago.

Evan Hale D-365 I last saw Evan at the memorial for Jim Wright; nothing since.

Ralph Hatley D-394 Ralph still runs a drop zone and is one of the biggest gear distributors in the world.

Joe Brockway D-395 Joe retired from the gov't about 15 yrs ago; I last talked to him about 10 yrs ago. I need to call him, also.

Dick Carlisle D-396 I understand he was killed in a plane crash many, many years ago.

Bill Berg D-400 Bill was killed flying a forest fire fighting aircraft when she came apart in mid-air.

Just in case anyone who knew them might be interested.

It was fun going through all of the names; I started jumping in early '64 and a few months later joined PCA & subscribed to Skydiver Magazine. A lot of those names were in those mags many times.

And I do remember your photos.

Jerry Baumchen
D-1543 (a newbie compared to this list)"

I noticed Bobby Crump, D-210 on the list. My father used to work with him at a barber shop in the late 50s in Dallas when I was about 12 years old. Bobby is the one who got me hooked on skydiving at a very early age by inviting me out to the DZ and even taking me up as an observer (not a big deal back then even though I was 12). When I saw the three jumpers exit the aircraft, I knew that was sometthing I just had to do.:o:D
The older I get the less I care who I piss off.

>>>>Jim Wright D-364 Jim was killed on a jump about 15-18 yrs ago.

Big Jim went in the summer of 1986 20 years ago. I was just looking at my old log books and we had the memorial boogie labor day weekend at Jims DZ in Harrisburg. His kids still run a DZ in Eugene (Creswell)

He was jumping with his kids and little Jim was flying the plane. He went in with nothing out. As I recall it was a hot summer day and they were jumping in shorts and T-shirts. It was speculated that he may have got hold of his shirt instead of the pilot chute and maybe the baggy T-shirt covered up the other handles. They say he fought it all the way to the dirt.

>>>>Ralph Hatley D-394 Ralph still runs a drop zone and is one of the biggest gear distributors in the world.

I just talked to Ralph a few days ago. He is still selling gear like mad. Beaver Oaks is still going strong although not as busy as it used to be. I just bought a new CRW canopy and some other gear from Ralph. You still can't find a better deal anywhere. You name it he's got it!

D309 CSM Bob McDermott....first CSM of the Golden Knights still lives in Vegas....retired...cant jump any longer because of a bad ticker.
Man.....he and I usta bust out the tandems back in the old days .

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

I think Doug Angel and "Dick" Lee were co-owners. Doug was my jumpmaster on a few of my round jumps but signed with a very low "C" license #.

Doug was my FJC instructor at Orange, MA; he signed as U.K. D-341
Among those on the list I've seen in 2006:
At USPA HQ dedication:
Lew Sanborn
Jerry Bourquin
Dick Fortenberry
Nate Pond
Gene Paul Thacker
Len Potts
Kim Emmons (Knor)
(and probably many more that I didn't know or meet)
At memorial meet for Pat Gorham, D-554:
Mike Lyon
Nate Pond (again)
Brad Straus was not at USPA HQ bash but his son Tim was.

HW

Hi Sparky,

Just got this back from Dr. Eco:

"Great to get the status of the old jumpers in the Pacific Northwest. I will update the list of the first 400 D-License Holders with a columns that shows there status e.g., dead, almost dead, getting married for the 3rd time, running off with their grandson's baby sitter, etc. and maybe comments like yours on Jack Ady and Rick Johnston. We will have to play the comment stuff by ear in case keeping it updated get too intractable.

Maybe we can get some of the skydiving websites, e.g., like Bill Newell's and/or others, to put the list on their web site. Website update and maintenance volunteers are welcome. People can them send in the status/comments of the old D-License jumpers like Jerry Baumchen did in his Email.

Until that happens send any status updates on these old D-License jumpers to me [email protected] and I will try to keep the list updated. From time to time as I get more status data I will sent an update out to everyone on the list.

Richard Economy D-115
[email protected]
386 672 1811
1309 Oak Forest Dr.
Ormond Beach, Fl 32174"

Maybe some other folks can chime in with info,

Jerry

Whoa!! Talk about a 'bit of history!" Tends to make an 'old-timer' realize he's really just a newbie. It would be interesting to see the 1st 1000 D's, and maybe the 1st 500 or so gold-wingers too,

What an odd coincidence. I had just emailed NWFlyer, who is the editor of the Seattle Skydivers Newsletter, an hour or so earlier, and she sent me a link to this post. I was asking her about Jack Ady. I used to jump in Snohomish in the 70s, and was wondering what happened to Jack.

I think I still have a few Fairchild tickets around here somewhere.

Vint
. . . . .
"Make it hard again." Doc Ed

“A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free” Nikos Kazantzakis

Hi jumpervint,

Re: the Fairchild

Jack's 'business' card has the famous picture of it; the one where Cameron is sitting on the fuse behind the wing and the other guys are all over the outside.

Jack said it needs new fabric but with a 50 ft wingspan it is too much to do ($$$$).

Jerry

Hey Jerry - I stand corrected...of course it should be the 1st 1543!;)

Thumbing thru that list was was kinda strange. So many of the names are people I know or have met or does it just seem I've met or know some of them because I've seen or heard their names for so many years?

I know Jim Arender from NM. Always thought of him as a billboard, never as D13! Damn! Lee Guilfoyle jumpmastered me at PI in NJ. Anyone who knew a ripcord from a connector link was a god to me then but D50? Damn! Perry Stevens was a good friend. D51? Damn! Mick Howard taught my FJC & sold me my first 28'. D139? Damn! G. Gutshall and I jumped together in Thailand many, many years ago. D217? Damn! I consider Dave Clark as one of my best friends (and probably as close to my 'hero' as I'd allow anyone to be). Got his sign-offs throughout many of my logs. Never gave his D# a thought. D259? Damn!

Everyone knew Bill Ottley (including me) & he knew everyone! D298 Damn!

One of the two on the list that I've ever met personally is Ed Duncan D-37 (37 TX Duncan/Edmond C). I noticed that there is another Ed Duncan D-53 (53 CA Duncan, Edmond C.) on the list.

Does anyone know if Ed received two D numbers or is it coincidence or ?

FYI. Ed D-37 is still jumping. I made a jump with him last summer.