crotalus01

can one of you old-timers explain....

He told me that he felt his body weight was just right, so the place to take weight off was his rig. A friend here in Houston who knew him back East said that sounded just like him.

Larry might've been really surprised to be jumping now, when people are packing weight back on again.

The thought occurred to me at the time (1979) that another option would simply be to go to the bathroom before jumping.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

RIP Larry. I liked him alot (he died on a bad demo landing).

He was a student of mine at Orange, MA. I figured it would be tough to teach someone with an aluminum pegleg to do simple things like turns, but he somehow picked it up beautifully.
HW

Larry was part of the original "Pieces of Eight".:)
Pieces of Eight
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Had one too..used it once in free-fall...and ahhhhh.....several times AFTER the ban....drilled out... as a "Safety Meeting" item!;)

Did it look sort of like the attached? B|

HW

Howard White...YOU ARE MY FUCKING HERO!B|

Yes...almost EXACTLY like that!:)

Old time "Tools of the Trade"...how I miss them!;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Both Wonderhogs in this picture have blast handle reserve ripcords: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/gallery/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=Personal_Galleries/RogerRamjet/Blast_from_the_Past&image=RogTraciGreg-2.jpg&img=&tt=

It was pretty common at least where I was jumping (Z-Hills/Tampa Sod Farm/Deland). Again, the housings have about 2 inches before the tacking to allow the straight extraction of the handle (though you can't tell much from the picture).

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

Yes...almost EXACTLY like that!

Old time "Tools of the Trade"...how I miss them!

What would you use something like that for?:P:)

HOURS at time...'back in the day'!!!;)

An instructional tool used at "safety meetings" ?

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

Hi us01,
So yer interested in "blast handles??" Yup, they got invented when airplanes got fast enough so that when you "bailed out" the wind "blast" blew your ripcord out of the pocket and made the next senario really interesting!! Some engineer at pioneer or some other aerospace company came up with the device and it was suppose to solve that problem. It got adopted by various skydiving rig makers and as said in other posts some people couldn't figure out to "PULL IT DOWN NOT SIDEWAYS!!!" That's why it's a "Wind"-Blast Handle!!" dummy!!!! Anyway I had a couple on different rigs, pulled them when I had to (several times) and because I knew how they worked, they worked fine for me!!> Still have one in the archives I think? Go look it up in yer Pointers Manual!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

I never did like the center pull because we use to do a lot of 'Combat' RW and I was always concerned about 'bumping' it out and getting a premature reserve.B|

It's lucky my boss is away for the day, that just made me laugh at the top of my voice at work! :ph34r:

"Combat RW" - that's the best thing I've heard in a while!!! :D:D:D

Could someone explain what a Jerry Bird rig is? Anyone got a picture?

There is a picture on page 221 of Dan Poynter's book, Volume One. The reserve container is locked with a unique Velcro closure system and may be used with or without a pilot chute. I've never looked at one closely, but apparently you just pull it open by hand.

Just for old times sake, here's Larry with Frank Donnellan (also RIP) at the Perris ghetto October 1980. That's the motorbike mentioned in the thread I believe.

Al

;)

That looks like his old bike he got a new one in the mid 80's that was Hondas production "chopper". I think it was a Magna or somthing similar.

Mick.

I never did like the center pull because we use to do a lot of 'Combat' RW and I was always concerned about 'bumping' it out and getting a premature reserve.B|

"Combat RW" - that's the best thing I've heard in a while!!! :D:D:D

------------------------------------------------------------Combat RW makes you a better skydiver!;) A while ago a jumper said he didn't like skydivers who learned in military clubs because they did too much "Combat RW." What he meant was that when you don't pay for jumps you don't mind if a dive goes to shit. I said "Amen, Bro! I do this for fun, not to stress out!"
My first 100 jumps were Combat RW. Hell, I did my first two way zooming around the sky until we collided and manged to hang on to each other.:ph34r: It taught me how to recover quickly when things go to shit.:)

Just for old times sake, here's Larry with Frank Donnellan (also RIP) at the Perris ghetto October 1980. That's the motorbike mentioned in the thread I believe.

Al

;)

Hey, I've got one of those, a 1982 Honda Magna V 45 that I still ride.:D

That looks like his old bike he got a new one in the mid 80's that was Hondas production "chopper". I think it was a Magna or somthing similar.

Mick.

The older I get the less I care who I piss off.

If you don't use those, you could possibly die!

Two years ago I was involved in testing Koch & Sons latest canopy release system for the Navy. Thought I was going to die, but as usual I was wrong.:P
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals