mjosparky

DC-3's and D-18's

Anyone ever see the Dumod Liner Beech 18 mod? Tri Gear with three tails, like a Lockheed Connie. There is only one still flying somewhere in TX.
2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

The one in this picture flew a Perris for a few years. The sign as you turn into the DZ is made of one of the wing from this plane. Mike Duran used to live in it.:)
Still looking for a single tail beech and three tailed Beech.:P
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

The one in this picture flew a Perris for a few years. The sign as you turn into the DZ is made of one of the wing from this plane. Mike Duran used to live in it.:)
Still looking for a single tail beech and three tailed Beech.:P

I jumped a single tail Beech at Pilot Country Estates, on old DZ north of Tampa, FL. I don't know who owned it. Was it called a Westwind Beech?

Hi slug,

Sheidan Wasn't that whats his names plane

He name is Ted Mayfield.

Jerry

Hi Jerry

Thought so, just didn't want to get it wrong and get sued for slander.

At LP ted got us and another guy to help push his plane back to park it for the night. The other dude and us were at the oil covered tail[:/] joking about that was as close as we ever wanted to get to that airplane again.:|

Never went to Teds DZ but from reading the accident reports, grapevine etc he was a one of kind DZO.

R.I.P.

Are there anymore DC-3s for skydiving? I just got back into jumping a few months ago after a ten year break. I remember Mr Douglas was around back then but I never got the chance to jump it. What ever happened to that plane?

I really miss doing cannon balls off a C-130 Herc ramp, I doubt I will ever get to do that again.
Kevin

Muff Brother #4041
Team Dirty Sanchez #467

Eloy has one that last I heard flys pretty frequently for a DC3 these days....

Skip has a couple in Elsinore and they fly jumpers on occasion, there is a DZ in Utah that reportedly had one a year or two ago but I don't think it's flying much. Dause's DC3 in Lodi hasn't been in the air since New Years Eve 2000 AFAIK, but someone could correct me if I'm wrong.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

My understanding is the DZ in Utah uses theirs probally the most frequently as any jump plane. They were still using it as their primary lift as of 2 years ago I think.

I know of at least 1 Westwind undergoing restortation to flying status as a jump plane with either -24's or -27's and a second is in the works once that is flying again.

I keep hearing that it takes a great pilot to fly the Westwinds since they are a pretty squirly airplane on the ground.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I keep hearing that it takes a great pilot to fly the Westwinds since they are a pretty squirly airplane on the ground.

As with any D-18 until the tail comes up on take off and after it drops on landing there is very little rudder integrity. Even with the rudders up in the prop wash it is a handful because the rudders are so small.:)

As with any D-18 until the tail comes up on take off and after it drops on landing there is very little rudder integrity. Even with the rudders up in the prop wash it is a handful because the rudders are so small.:)

I have a great video of our demo team in a Westwind several years ago jumping an airshow in Brooksville, Fla.

Fortunately there were only four of us and the driver on board...Mr. Pilot made an extremely long and fast takeoff roll to 'wow' the crowd with an intended hard pull up. Except he'd forgotten the flaps were set to FULL!
:o

The aircraft went up about ten feet then SLAMMED back down hard enough to compress the gear, smoke the tires and flatten all of us 'unbuckled' passengers to prone on the floor.
:S

Following several 'interesting' high speed sashays he regained enough control to make it UNDER the high tension wires at the end of the strip making a hard bank turn to avoid the trees at the far end of the access road.

The video man has the camera on me when his suddenly 'squeaky' voice asks...

"TWARDO...we gonna make it???"
:|

I was looking out the open door at the road 20 feet below us and replied....."I think he wants to MERGE"
:ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Skip brought N26MA to Rantoul in 2004 and it was a sweet jumpship indeed. I made nearly every load, being a radial propliner fanatic. To this day I regret not having made the round trip to and from Elsinore. it was cheap and a golden opportunity to experience cross country flight in a DC 3.

Bill Dause's DC 3 looks to me as if its fl;ying days are over. Last year I was at Lodi and the tail was raised on a stand to level the interior which was apparently being used as living quarters by someone. It had been chained down with a few holes hacked in the structure. I doubt if Bill would allow that if he intended it to fly again. but you never know, I have seen total derelict DC 3s come to life again.

Any of you guys remember DC 3 flights at Pope Valley? I was there one day when they were doing DC 3 flyby sound recordings for the movie Islands in the Stream. The Hollywood guys were there with all sorts of boom mics and recording gear. One pass was REALLY low, gear up, with some guy being held by his legs, out the door upside down with his head not more than 10 ft above the runway. The good old days. I sure miss that DZ.
2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

Hi Twardo

Yikes! that was a unforgetable demo:S

We were jumping a westwind from a runway that was to short, with a pilot/owner that was just learning how to drive it.

First thing we noticed was the largest piece of foam we ever saw set opposite the door to prevent jumpers from jaming the door on jump run.

Then we noticed the pilot was using the whole runway on T.O. no wires but there was a road at the end of the runway. Some folks thought it was funny watching the cars get a buzz job until....

one time right after T.O. a big ass hay bale on a flat bed goes by. Don't think the plane would have made itB|.

The DZO lready had the runway streatcher (more asphalt) scheduled. The pilot got more experience and got rid of the dumb skydiver pillow in the back of the plane.:)
R.I.P.

Still looking for a single tail beech and three tailed Beech.:P[/

Here's a photo of a single tail D-18, but I'd like to see one of those triple-tails, too.

Kevin

No Siree Bobber, Mr. Sparky,

That bird was a mod'd D-18; the only one like it I have ever heard of/seen. The last I knew of it, it was ferried to the LA-area to a new owner.

You might just look for it now that you have time on your hands.

Jerry

Sheidan:oWasn't that whats his names plane The DZO who got sent to jail due to jump related "injuries" at his DZ.

Sounds like Ted Mayfield. IIRC, the injuries in question resulted in rigor mortis.

You did it again: made coffee come out of my nose, ruined a perfectly good keyboard ;-)

This one definitely belongs in the 'Scary stories from the old days' thread with all the other great stories you shared there!!!

B|B|B|

Ramon

He's just one of those really "Scary guys", I know I have jumped with him.:)

You did it again: made coffee come out of my nose, ruined a perfectly good keyboard ;-)

This one definitely belongs in the 'Scary stories from the old days' thread with all the other great stories you shared there!!!

B|B|B|

Ramon

He's just one of those really "Scary guys", I know I have jumped with him.:)

>:(>:(>:(;)

Single tail beech= N11DA -A 1953 C-45G, Registered to France, Miles, Wasilla, AK. as of 10 May 06. Only about 50 of this model were ever built.-Doc, D-2785

Now some one come up with a picture of the 3 tailed D-18 that 337 mentioned and I can sleep tight tonight.B|

Single tail beech= N11DA -A 1953 C-45G, Registered to France, Miles, Wasilla, AK. as of 10 May 06. Only about 50 of this model were ever built.-Doc, D-2785

Now some one come up with a picture of the 3 tailed D-18 that 337 mentioned and I can sleep tight tonight.B|

We aim to please!;)