Thunderpuss

Hello

Hello folks, new here. :)

Very little skydiving experience, I did several jumps about 15 years ago. Nowadays sadly my joints are in too poor condition to start up again - I have trouble with stairs. :(

Anyhoo; I just signed up because I had a question someone might know the answer to.

With the old round chutes (IIRC), a problem could be created if one jumper drifted directly beneath another one - it was called 'stealing air' or sommat. Just going from memory andshaky memory at that.

Can anyone enlighten me on this phenomenon? Thanks. :)

What you were refering was mostly old Airborne drops you would just walk over to the nearest edge and slide down .They at one time had steerable PCMark11s , they were taken away because it only increased the problem. As long as everyone was drifting aimlessly to land on earth some where because of gravity with the grace and dignity of a clown falling out of a tree it was OK.Ihad a chance to go Airborne in 1962 but turned it down to finally jump surplus 28 footers in 1967 about 150 total along with my 1500PC jumps and 50 or so round reserve rides .

50 reserve rides in 1650 jumps? That appears to be about one reserve ride for every 33 jumps. What happened?
2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

I only had one cut away on PCs and that was at night. Did you ever jumo a Paraplane . No slider just ropes and rings no stabalizer panels and brake loops that hung off the steering lines by2feet. If you did you would know about 1 in 20 was a cutaway . did you ever jump a Unit all white and number 26. I had back to back cutaways four times and carried my own roll of suspension line to patch it and jump again . I now have more than 9000 square jumps .I went 4968and 19.5 years without a cut away on my pack jobs . While having 13 cutaways on tandems, with one back to back during the same time period packed by others

Naah, never jumped anything exotic, just surplus rounds, then PCs and now ramairs (Triathlon 190). Sure saw some strange stuff in the transitional years but didnt jump any of it. I couldnt afford good gear until much later. I was jumping cheapos long after everyone else had scrapped theirs. I remember seeing Dactyls, T Bows, etc. Very impressed with your 4968 jumps with no cutaways. I am nostalgic about the old gear but not so much that I want to jump it again. I'd be happy to look at it in a museum.
2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

No slider just ropes and rings no stabalizer panels and brake loops that hung off the steering lines by2feet. If you did you would know about 1 in 20 was a cutaway . did you ever jump a Unit all white and number 26. I had back to back cutaways four times and carried my own roll of suspension line to patch it and jump again . I now have more than 9000 square jumps .I went 4968and 19.5 years without a cut away on my pack jobs . While having 13 cutaways on tandems, with one back to back during the same time period packed by others

Ya just gotta love this guy:D!

Jon

I only had one cut away on PCs and that was at night. Did you ever jumo a Paraplane . No slider just ropes and rings no stabalizer panels and brake loops that hung off the steering lines by2feet. If you did you would know about 1 in 20 was a cutaway . did you ever jump a Unit all white and number 26. I had back to back cutaways four times and carried my own roll of suspension line to patch it and jump again . I now have more than 9000 square jumps .I went 4968and 19.5 years without a cut away on my pack jobs . While having 13 cutaways on tandems, with one back to back during the same time period packed by others

While your scaring everyone, you should have included that when packing an original Para-Plane or Cloud with the rings and ropes system, you had to pack for terminal or sub-terminal. Bad things happened when you took a sub-terminal reefed PP to terminal and nearly as bad things with you did a hop n pop with a terminal reefed PP.....

I have about 30 jumps on a Para-Plane, no cutaways.

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

Did you ever jumo a Paraplane .

I had a couple paraplane jumps back in the early 70's. That one would malfunction about every 10 jumps. At least that was the rumor. It might have been close to one out of every 20 or thirty, but it did malfunction a lot. What a sight to see landed properly. This was the first square that I saw in the air. What a step up from the other canopies of that time period.....Steve1

Did you ever jumo a Paraplane .

I had a couple paraplane jumps back in the early 70's. That one would malfunction about every 10 jumps. At least that was the rumor. It might have been close to one out of every 20 or thirty, but it did malfunction a lot. What a sight to see landed properly. This was the first square that I saw in the air. What a step up from the other canopies of that time period.....Steve1

I jumped a Sled about that time along with the Para-Plane and Cloud. I jumped every square that came to Z-Hills that I hadn't jumped before.. they called me Roger Ramair for a while, but Roger Ramjet stuck.

It was really the Strato-Star that changed everything. I had a mal on my 28' cheapo on the weekend at Z-Hills and when I arrived home in Miami where I worked for Booth, he had just gotten in the first Strato-Star for a guy (the first production unit in the State I believe). The guy did not have the money to pick it up, so I talked Bill into selling it to me instead and ordering the other guy a new one. Bill and I packed the thing in the front yard with the not so great manual and a call to the manufacturer for some advice.

What a canopy! Even with the rings and ropes (moved to the botton of the canopy now) it opened soft and on heading every time. When I eventually installed a slider on it, I think I had the perfect canopy (for the time). I believed then and really still do that a properly tuned, properly packed, slider equipped Strato-Star would open every time. I sold mine after 650 jumps, shortlined (6 ft) once, tuned twice. It still opened perfectly and on heading every time. About the same opening force as a Para Commander or slightly less.

I wouldn't hesitate to jump one today....

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519