davidlayne

Fran's brothel

From "Beech 18: A Civil & Military History" (pages 271-272 including a color photo):
"A van drove onto the runway as C-45G N6065V was about to touchdown at a Beatty, NV brothel, (Fran's Star Ranch). On May 28, 1977 a sky diving contest was in progress at the Ranch, and as the jump plane was preparing to land after dropping some parachutists, a van pulled into its path. A collision was avoided, but the sudden application of power blew an engine, and the aircraft veered into a high voltage power line. No one was badly injured, but the plane was beyond repair. Currently it is parked alongside US Route 95 as an eye catcher next to the sign, advertising the ranch."
I don't care how many skydives you've got,
until you stepped into complete darkness at
800' wearing 95 lbs of equipment and 42 lbs
of parachute, son you are still a leg!

;)I was there when the plane crashed..Couple of whuffos got out and then the pilot too. We thought there would be fatalities..Amazing they survived.. I remember Fran's Star Ranch very well. That's another story in another post. Actually one of the 1st things I saw when I logged onto this site. Hey, you talkin bout me? Yes, they were. LOL
Sandy

It took a little scanning in google earth, but I was able to find the aircraft. I was confused since there is a paved airport a bit south of Beatty and I was looking there. However, the matchbook cover gave me the hint that the truck stop was 3 mi north of Beatty on 95, so I scanned up the road and eventually found the plane. Imagery date is Nov 19, 2006, so it was there at that time at least.

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

I know it's probably a bit late for this reply but it was Chief Master Sergeant (USAF) George MORAR (no e) until he retired and went hippie on us, dumped his wife and shacked up with a 19 year old and he ran the operation out of a red Ford van, not a pickup truck. How do I know this? I was there, jumping with the Travis AFB Club, which George ran until he retired. I was also in the same squadron as he was. Just setting the record straight. :-)
If you know how many guns you have - you don't have enough!

I stopped by there in 05-06 and it was no longer called Fran's, it was called angels ladies and they had no clue as to where or why the Beech ended up there.
Experience is a difficult teacher, she gives you the test first and the lesson afterward

Check the other threads on this link, they will tell how and why.....

I started a thread way back then.....and I know how and why.....the Beech has yolo painted on the side of it, lots of good stories go with it..

Experience is a difficult teacher, she gives you the test first and the lesson afterward

Well...its been 10 years and guess what? Its being made available so there really IS a good chance someone will take it away and do something with it! It should be on ebay soon.
Angels Ladies was sold and closed a year ago September. Time to remove the landmark and move on.
"fly low, fly fast, turn left"

godfrog

I stopped by there in 05-06 and it was no longer called Fran's, it was called angels ladies and they had no clue as to where or why the Beech ended up there.

That would have depended upon who you spoke with at Angel's Ladies. "They" were quite probably clueless, but the owner, Mack, knew all about it from what Fran had told him. However, he did have several stories, embellished depending on who you were and how clever you are and possibly how much money you were willing to spend!

airtwardo

The really weird part...in another 10-20 years, someone will take that thing away...AND FIX IT!;)

Check out the classifieds because guess whats up for sale? You got it! Its been about 20 years, 30+ since the crash. The Beech is still in front of the old brothel. The place has been closed down now for over a year and the plane is ready for a new home. Can it be fixed? That would really be something to see!

bozo

The really weird part...in another 10-20 years, someone will take that thing away...AND FIX IT!;)

Jim
I dont think anyones ever gonna fix that airframe.
Its pretty trashed.
I sat out there on the wing with some friends one night....looked at the stars and got drunk.

bozo

The plane crashed 5-28-77 at a Skydiving Meet. I didn't win 1st place but was given the 30 minute prize by the guy that won. I knew he would win bcuz he was excellent at accuracy. We set it up before the Meet. If he won he'd give it to me just to blow some minds. WOW, the reaction at the awards dinner was priceless. He said he wasn't gonna use the prize and who wanted it. All the hands went up including mine. He glanced around the table a few minutes and said, I give the prize to Sandy. The groans in the room were hysterical. The next morning I went to collect my prize. There was only one girl who would do it. So, I walked in the back with her (my boyfriend in tow). He did his thing and I made him leave. To this day no one but me knows what happened behind that door...LOL...When I got home everyone knew of course. The guys didn't want me near their wives...Priceless reaction. Long time ago but my memory is excellent. ;)

Sandy