nitrochute

parachutes incorporated

Actually, Jacque sold the operation of the DZ at Elsinore to Leo Orlowski just before the flood. Our grand opening boogie was rained/clouded out and it didn't stop much for quit awhile after that. We moved to Temecula for 9 months came back to Elsinore and rebuilt only to be flooded again another 9 months down the road. The operation then moved to Hemet and folded after a 1st jump student fatality. A run of bad luck :(

Red, White and Blue Skies,

John T. Brasher D-5166

John~

What was the time frame that was going on?

I don't remember what year I started jumping there,
it was open for a while ...then closed...the became the Cy Perkins P.C....(still have my membership card #100) then became something else....

It was a 'hazy' time for some of us!;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I've got to think that Istel bought Elsinore from Florance Perkins when Cy Perkins became very ill, about 1977 maybe 78.

Jacque Istel had dream of making Elsinore into SkyWorld a recreational activity area with aircraft, balloons, hang gliders and parachutes. It didn't come to pass.

I'm pretty sure Leo took over from PI 01/01/1980 and had less than a month of not very good weather before havong to move. Fllod waters were8-9 feet in the hanger and we had the student records in the upstairs classroom and had to raft in to get them.

You may be thinking of one of the opther floods later int he Eighties. There was at least one in the nineties maybe two. I've got to think Elsinore is the most ofen flooded still operating DZ around. :-)

Red, White and Blue Skies,

John T. Brasher D-5166

Well, Parachutes Incorporated was (at least) two businesses, one distributing and selling gear, the other running DZs.

Both underwent substantial changes in the early 80s and PI either couldn't or didn't want to change with them. The flagship Orange, MA, DZ closed at least in part because of conflicts with the town of Orange over money, as well as expressed concern about insurance and liability. Other DZs at Lakewood, NJ, Crawfordsville, IN, and Hemet and Elsinore, CA also had problems -- some already mentioned in this thread.

Similarly the gear business became more competitive and diversified;no longer did one need to look at Pioneer and PI as the prime source for new stuff.

And -- personal guess -- Jacques Istel got bored and wanted to move on to something else, like creating the "Center of the World."

Interesting question, and I will talk to some folks who were involved in PI at the time of the closure.

HW

Hi John~

Yes, it was more toward the 'early' mid 80's that I'm remembering.

I recall going past Elsinore on 15 and being told- "there's the parachute center that always floods...."
not knowing where it was 'supposed' to be, it all just looked like a BIG lake from the highway!:ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

clicky http://projectpi.skydiveworld.com/index.htm

is unfortunately quite full of errors and out of date, and the proprietor is not interested in fixing it up. Lots of good stuff there; I wouldn't mind (as one who's on the site and has bitched about its contents) taking it over and bringing it up to date. I have lots of additional pictures, additional info, and maintain contact with a lot of the people who are featured there (some of whom plan a reunion in September.) Of the places mentioned there, I've jumped at Good Hill Farm, Orange, Lakewood, and Elsinore (both when PI was running it and later.)

The Orange center opened May 2, 1959; anniversary coming up. Many who now hang out there still value its heritage, including Gary Pond (D-6969), son of Nate Pond (D-69), who was one of the founders.

HW

as far as the equipment division goes, i already know the answer....i worked for para flite in the 70s and 80s. steve snyder absolutely refused to sell strato stars and strato clouds or any other para flite product to p.i.(there was bad blood betwixt snydly and istel).this was at a time when para flite had a waiting list for product that was something like 6 months(strato star).the day we heard that p.i. s equipment division went under, snydly came back into the shop and boasted about it.he then took the rubber p.i. address stamp that shipping had used and burned it.

Actually, Jacque sold the operation of the DZ at Elsinore to Leo Orlowski just before the flood. Our grand opening boogie was rained/clouded out and it didn't stop much for quit awhile after that. We moved to Temecula for 9 months came back to Elsinore and rebuilt only to be flooded again another 9 months down the road. The operation then moved to Hemet and folded after a 1st jump student fatality. A run of bad luck :(

what month and year did the student die if you recall.....?

Does anyone else find it funny that we made a SPORT out of an EMERGENCY PROCEDURE?!?!

I was just looking at my first jump certificate dated October, 1965 when I was a bad ass from the Newark area.  It was signed by my instructor Doug Angel.  Next year I enlisted in the Paratroopers and served with the 173rd Airborne Bde.  At 73 I still miss jumping but my wife says I should grow up.  Jumped C119 box cars, C130s, C151 jets.  That first jump was the best!  

22 hours ago, John third herd said:

I was just looking at my first jump certificate dated October, 1965 when I was a bad ass from the Newark area.  It was signed by my instructor Doug Angel.  Next year I enlisted in the Paratroopers and served with the 173rd Airborne Bde.  At 73 I still miss jumping but my wife says I should grow up.  Jumped C119 box cars, C130s, C151 jets.  That first jump was the best!  

Get those knees back in the breeze!