patworks

First Skydive was 1914. First Skydiver was Ms.

First Skydive was 1914. First Skydiver was Ms. Broadwick.

In 1914 Broadwick gave the first demonstration of a parachute jump to the US government. The first four jumps were static line jumps. On the fifth jump she decided to not use the static line. She cut the static line so that it was long enough for her to pull the parchute pack open after she was clear of the airplane. This was the first premeditated FREEFALL jump by anyone. The US Army Signal Corps ordered its first Broadwick coatpack and initiated a new era in aviation safety.

Georgia Broadwick was nicknamed Tiny because she weighted 85 pounds and was only four feet tall. Tiny made her first jump in 1908 at age 15.
Pat Works nee Madden Travis Works, Jr .B1575, C1798, D1813, Star Crest Solo#1, USPA#189,

Well Pat you;ve been busy today ;)

Here's a picture of Timne Broadwick taken about 1977 in Elsinore. The girls she's with did a demo into Chino airport for the airshow that Tiny was the guest of honor for.
She was around 83 at the time and thought everyone should be paid to jump. :)M. Anderson Jenkins was the photographer and I was privleged to get her autograph in my logbook.

A remarkable woman.

Red, White and Blue Skies,

John T. Brasher D-5166

Tiny Broadwick. Heard of her just reading about her. But how about the women skydivers in the 1960s? Muriel Simbro, jeanni McCombs, Anne Batterson, Helen Lord. Now those are also pioneers in the sport much like Tiny, albeit they had two chutes to use instead on one Tiny used.
Gig em, Garland Owls!

That would have been the 1st parachute jump in the USA, not a skydive, in a stable position from a reasonably high alttude.

I think most of her early jumps were 2000 feet and lower.

Germans were using parachutes in World War I, and offten fell quite a distance (not stable) before opening their chutes.

They used a Heinecke harness and a 24 ft canopy, which can be seen in many photos of that era.

Tiny Broadwick. Heard of her just reading about her. But how about the women skydivers in the 1960s? Muriel Simbro, jeanni McCombs, Anne Batterson, Helen Lord. Now those are also pioneers in the sport much like Tiny, albeit they had two chutes to use instead on one Tiny used.

Dont forget about Sherry Schrimsher:)

army air corps pilots in the first world war werent allowed to wear parachutes because apparently it encouraged cowardice...
i think our balloon observers wore parachutes though, the idea being that if u saw a german plane u got out rapidly cos balloons didnt stand a chance

Oohhh ... crap. Hate to get into this.

"Tiny Broadwicke/Broadwick" (AKA Georgia Brown and Georgia Ann Thompson) began jumping from "smoke balloons" around 1908. Her real name was Georgia Ann Thompson, but she took on the name of "Tiny Broadwicke" (usually spelled "Broadwick") because she was very small and Broadwicke was the name of the promoter who gave her a start in the business. She was later married for a time to a Mr. Brown, but she was known as Tiny Broadwick for most of her adult life.

All of her jumps were cord-assisted, with the cord either being attached to the balloon, the airplane, or to another parachute that she would cut away. She made about 2,000 jumps without a reserve (except for when she was doing an intentional cutaway).

She was a parachutist, rather than a skydiver. She wasn't the first person to make a parachute jump in the US, or even the first woman to do so.

She was, however, the first woman to make a parachute jump from an airplane in the US, and some argue that she was the first in the US of either sex to parachute from an airplane.

Be that as it may, she was an incredible lady--one whose accomplishments need no embellishment. If you ever happen to go into a Walmart or other store that has a bin of cheap DVDs, look for a Groucho Marx "You Bet Your Life" episode and BUY IT! Even though it doesn't say so on the cover, one of the contestants shown was "Tiny."

Wasn't it Jeanni McCombs wwho had a double mal back in (I think) the 80s and survived because she landed in an open sewer? I remember we were making some truly tasteless jokes about that at the DZ when he heard about it.

Walt

>>That would have been the 1st parachute jump in the USA,<<

Sigh . . . Fredrick Rodman Law made successful parachute jump from the Statue of Liberty in New York harbor in 1912. And over the next year made at least two more, one from the Brooklyn Bridge, and another from a Wall Street building.

Parachute jumps have nothing inherently to do with flying machines . . .

For twenty years USPA kept promoting the French guy, Andre-Jacques Garnerin, as the person who made the "World's First Parachute Jump in 1797,” until they realized the history of fixed object jumping predates that even though it can’t be precisely pinpointed. Now they say more correctly that Garnerin made the first parachute jump from a flying machine (and in that case it was a hot air balloon).

However, you can’t take anything away from Tiny . . . except she was young and innocent and probably being used by her adopted father, Charles Broadwick, who was a carnival huckster and knew a money making gimmick when he saw one . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

Unfortunately you've mixed them up. The young women who had the run in with the sewage treatment pond (Southeast of Perris) is a chiropracter in Socal.
jeannie, unfortunatley played with a disloged pud (about '76/'77?) on a pullout to impact after being razed a week or 2 before for pulling her reserve when the pud got lost. [:/]

Red, White and Blue Skies,

John T. Brasher D-5166

Unfortunately you've mixed them up. The young women who had the run in with the sewage treatment pond (Southeast of Perris) is a chiropracter in Socal.
jeannie, unfortunatley played with a disloged pud (about '76/'77?) on a pullout to impact after being razed a week or 2 before for pulling her reserve when the pud got lost. [:/]

John,

Pretty sure it was 79 or 80 that Jeannie went in. I was on the load the week before and she was well under 1000 feet when she went to the reserve. She was promoting the rig she was jumping thought losing the pud made the rig look bad.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I've always seemed to remember it being in the mid 70's and close to 76-77 time frame seem right.
But you jumped with her, I just read about her.
And no matter what year it was, it was a surprise she went in that way, to some of us.

~
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Pretty sure it was 79 or 80 that Jeannie went in.

Her death is recorded in Skydiving magazine for 5/31/81, which (unless Skydiving was *very* late on this) puts the date in the spring of '81. (I don't have the issue immediately at hand.)

HW

And you guys thought I was just another pretty face. :)

Hi Sparky,

My memory is not so perfect but I was talking with jeannie at Elsinore about two weeks before she went in. I had heard about the flying pud, reserve pull & her getting razzed for it then.

Jerry

I was just a Newbe at the time, I would not think of trying to talk to someone like Jeannie.

First Skydive was 1914. First Skydiver was Ms. Broadwick.

In 1914 Broadwick gave the first demonstration of a parachute jump to the US government. The first four jumps were static line jumps. On the fifth jump she decided to not use the static line. She cut the static line so that it was long enough for her to pull the parchute pack open after she was clear of the airplane. This was the first premeditated FREEFALL jump by anyone. The US Army Signal Corps ordered its first Broadwick coatpack and initiated a new era in aviation safety.

Georgia Broadwick was nicknamed Tiny because she weighted 85 pounds and was only four feet tall. Tiny made her first jump in 1908 at age 15.

Now that is a REAL WOMAN!!!B|