mjosparky

Patches from back in the day.

Karl -

Palmyra!!! What I remember most about Palmyra is the surrounding cornfields (of course the same applied to Maytown) and playing drinking games (Cardinal Puff) at the "Rising Sun"!!

I left the area in Sept 1970, so I'm sure we spent some same days at both DZs. I envy you the jacket. I don't recall it being available.

Hi all, I'm new to the forum, just happened to run across it while doing a google for Doc Anagnostis.

I was watching History Channels presentation of “Brothers In Arms” about the 2/502PIR 101ABN and noticed that the insignia of that unit looks almost exactly like the patch the Galveston Skydivers used to wear at Docs old DZ in Dickinson, TX in the early '70s.. It was a round patch with a parachute in the background and a skull with bat like wings. I know that Doc was a veteran of the 101st with 2 combat jumps but he never mentioned the unit.

Does anyone out there know if Doc was in the 2/502 and did the insignia of the old Galveston Skydivers indeed derive from the 2/502 insignia? Does anyone have a picture of the patch? Mine disappeared about 20 years ago.

I used to jump at his DZ before moving over to Spaceland in League City, TX then to the Bear Creek Skydivers in Wieser, TX and finally back down to his last DZ at Volk field in Hitchcock, TX

BTW – It's neat to see that there are so many old timers still out there, some of whom I remember from my days in the sport. Although I haven't made a jump since 1976, I may try to get back in, who knows? Titusville, FL has a great DZ!

Pat C-9278:)

Haven't made a jump since 1976, I may try to get back in, who knows? Titusville, FL has a great DZ!

Pat C-9278:)

I quit in about 1976 and started up again about five years ago. It's great to be back. One of the old Montana jumpers I jumped with in the 70's was Greg Nardi. As far as I know he still owns the DZ in Titusville. Look him up, and I'll bet he'll get you jumping again.....Steve1

That's a heck of "A. DEAL" ;)

Whatever became of him?

From a 2002 post:

ZEPHYRHILLS -
A 70-year-old former TV anchorman who survived a 3,000-foot plunge into Cypress Gardens 27 years ago found himself in a similar predicament Saturday when his parachute failed after he jumped from a plane at 14,500 feet.

Once again, Arch Deal survived - this time after successfully deploying a reserve parachute.

In the 1975 accident, Deal's main and emergency parachutes became tangled and he fell to earth at an estimated 130 mph before a tree broke his fall.

Deal broke both his legs Saturday and suffered other injuries after making a turn too fast and too close to the ground, said T.K. Hayes, manager of Skydive City.

He was listed in fair condition Saturday night at St. Joseph's Hospital in Tampa.

``Deal is a pretty tough old guy,'' Hayes said. ``But we probably won't know for another 24 hours about whether he'll be back up again.''

Deal, who was an anchor for WFLA, News Channel 8, from the 1950s through 1970s, became a professional skydiver with a group called Arch Deal and the Falling Arches. He returned to television eight weeks after his 1975 accident, in which he suffered a broken neck, broken back and ribs and a separated pelvis.

He survived brain surgery two years ago and minor injuries in other skydiving mishaps, people familiar with his activities at the dive center near Interstate 75 said.

``He's been jumping for 30 years or so and has more than 5,500 jumps,'' Hayes said. ``He's quite a competent skyjumper, but there was some level of misjudgment today.''

Deal jumped Saturday with about 20 others who were performing as part of a woman's 50th birthday by joining to form the number in midair.

``He said he didn't quite remember hitting the ground,'' said James Bacon, a driver-engineer for the Zephyrhills Fire Department.

Deal has made a custom of commemorating his 1975 accident by jumping on the anniversary date, beginning in 1976.

He made a 25th anniversary jump in 2000 at Cypress Gardens, saying, ``I guess I'm a hard man to put down.''

Reporter Ted Jackovics can be reached at (813) 259-7817

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=189903#189903

Biography Site on Arch Deal~
http://www.big13.net/Arch%20Deal/arch_deal1.htm

Current contact info....?
http://www.voiceofbusiness.com/

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~