outlawphx

Lowest D-Licence w/o Jumping Rounds

We're getting a nice list here. I wonder who else might add their name!

Okay, let's attack this from both directions, instead of just from the top, down. I'll add my name as someone who has jumped rounds as a student. The special person we're looking for is someone inbetween these two ranges of numbers.

Only post your number for round jumps if it is higher than mine. And only post your number for no-round jumps, if your number is lower than Crutch's. By this method, we can narrow down the range for which we're looking.

D-7377 JohnRich (rounds)
---------- ? -----------
D-10182 Crutch (no rounds)
D-10554 jkwskydive

So we're after someone between D-7377 and D-10182 at this point!

Okay, let's attack this from both directions, instead
Only post your number for round jumps if it is higher than mine. And only post your number for no-round jumps, if your number is lower than Crutch's. By this method, we can narrow down the range for which we're looking.

D-7377 JohnRich (rounds)
D-10154 bozo 110 round jumps
---------- ? -----------
D-10182 Crutch (no rounds)
D-10554 jkwskydive

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

Nothing gets by ol' Bozo.:S:P:)
That leaves you and me out cause I kown you jumped rounds Jim.

Sparky

Between the round jumps and all the tandems in the hard Nevada desert, I dont wonder where my knees went.

bozo

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

This is funny to me because I learned on a t-10 and owned a PC with a Pioneer 26 Lo-Po for the first two years of my jumping "career" and My D License # is 18859... That's what taking breaks in the sport will do to ya... OH and Numbers don't mean a thing.
Green Light
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."
"Your statement answered your question."

OH and Numbers don't mean a thing.

True. During a good bit of my earlier career we jumped at private clubs--sometimes literally into cow pastures. Lots of the folks were students and cash was tight. At first there wasn't a requirement to have USPA membership (insurance), and then the requirement only applied to those on student status. When there was a decision about forking over money for USPA membership, a license, or something else like that--versus using the money for a few more jumps--the jumps almost always won out. I'd been jumping for years before I wandered into Hartwood and Harry S. said that I had to fill out a USPA membership application and hand him the cash before I could jump there.

There was also a subculture of savoir faire when it came to logging jumps. It sort of made someone seem a bit cool to jump purely for the pleasure of it. There was also an underlying message of, "I'm not going to ever have kids who will see my logbook, so why bother?" Besides, a *few* of the people who had big numbers of jumps logged managed to log some that nobody else remembered them making. It wasn't all that important.

I must say, if I may, as a kid of skydivers I really appreciated reading Jerry's log books. I read all 13 of them and there was some very interesting stuff. Lots of SD history, camera, equipment, etc..

He would write things that were a little personal, like my brother wrecked the car today, little things i guess.

One I really remember is that he was my mothers First jump Instructor, and every time he jumped with her he wrote...Jumped with her, jumped with her..every time, until.... They got married, then it was jumped with Sherry, jumped with Sherry.

It taught me to do the same, I dont tell a story with every log, but I do log.. maybe just "4 way". I do put the little things at times but thats about it.

Sparky, you (and others in here) have been around a while, I bet ya'll have some great history stored away.

I guess I have learned to appreciate those before me a little more, that includes all of you:)

I read all 13 of them and there was some very interesting stuff.

I have to agree with that. We went through Dirty Ed's many log books and there was some very interesting stuff in there. Brings back old memories. I still believe that numbers mean nothing though. A person can do something wrong hundreds of times and it's still wrong...:P
Green Light
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."
"Your statement answered your question."

If youd like you may add D-17699. Had a round as a reserve, never used the reserve. Have a save on a round. Packed several. Gonna service some rounds next week.

Thanks Larry,

I think the guys above are trying to find a number somewhere between 10154 and 10182 with no rounds. Your number is after that, but at least now there is a record of it here. ;)

We can't wait to see you again! We had so much fun last time. Hope to see you soon (at SkyFest?!?!?!?!?)

Jaime

Happy New Year Jaime! Had I not waited to get the D license when i qualified for it the # would have been under 10,000. i remember when D 10,000 came along . Had over 700 jumps before getting the D. It finally rained here in SoCal! Now i can finally catch up on work! Too many nice days tends to = too much surfing and not enough working. Skyfest bound!!!!!

Yahoo! So far Skyfest is the only boogie i'll actually travel to this year thanks to you and J. I was just visiting last night with friends about SCR ceremonies and stuff.Some people don't even know what they are missing! Think i might get my SCR and SCS patches out of my first logbook and sew them onto my camera wings 'cause of J too. Blind folded packing contest anyone?

There's no relationship whatsoever between the lowest D number with no round jumps and the highest D number with round jumps.

It's entirely possible for some club to have experimented with Strato-clouds in the 70's, which could have a D license number in the 6000's. Not likely, but entirely possible.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Hey John! Long time no see...

I've been following your thread about lowest D without a round jump. I would venture a guess at around D-9000 or maybe a little lower. At the 82nd Airborne club we switched from the MC-1B (T-10 with toggles) to PCs in early '84. Ironically, we did it because we thought squares were too hot. Soon we discovered that our students were hooking it in and we had a rash of ankle and wrist injuries. Our students were primarily (95%) airborne troops who were used to honking hard a toggle with no repercussions. Towards the end of '84 we went with squares, stratoclouds, and the injuires dropped way off. No radios; just good training.
Anyhow,... why maybe D-9000 or lower? I'm D-9397 and received my number at the end of '85 with 500 jumps. I remember for sure that we had at a couple of new guys with over 200 jumps by then. I don't know if any of them actually got their license, but it's possible. Let me know if we find someone who fits the bill.
Oh, BTW, I had around 50 rounds jumps when I switch over to squares.
Later Daze!

True. During a good bit of my earlier career we jumped at private clubs--sometimes literally into cow pastures. Lots of the folks were students and cash was tight. At first there wasn't a requirement to have USPA membership (insurance), and then the requirement only applied to those on student status. When there was a decision about forking over money for USPA membership, a license, or something else like that--versus using the money for a few more jumps--the jumps almost always won out. I'd been jumping for years before I wandered into Hartwood and Harry S. said that I had to fill out a USPA membership application and hand him the cash before I could jump there.

There was also a subculture of savoir faire when it came to logging jumps. It sort of made someone seem a bit cool to jump purely for the pleasure of it. There was also an underlying message of, "I'm not going to ever have kids who will see my logbook, so why bother?" Besides, a *few* of the people who had big numbers of jumps logged managed to log some that nobody else remembered them making. It wasn't all that important.

Yup!

I was jumping a few years before I ever joined USPA, same reason as you Wart...
The money was better spent on altitude!

When I finally did, I was way more than 'qualified' for my "C" license, which I got immediately so I could get my JM & I...

I didn't bother with a "D" until I needed it to get a "PRO"...so my number is D-13077...and I had close to 100 round jumps.

'Back then' anyway...your license number had little to do with your "date of hire" or experience.:)

And yeah...kinda funny how some guys logbook covers had a LOT more wear than their RIGS!;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

a, Wartload I know what you mean! I had 500 plus jumps in early 1969. Only 3 DZs close by. Everyone knew me, taught students at every Dz, just never bothered to get the licence. Some did, some of us didn't! It wasn't important as it is now. At over 500 jumps in 1969 you tell me what # I would have had. Don't know! BUT, I wish I had! I lost my logbooks sometime in the last 34 yrs sence I stoped jumping to chase a airline career, and now that I have started back jumping I'm having to do the AFF program. But I'm told it may be somewhat abbreviated because of the job I'm doing and the pictures of me I can produce. Hindsite is 20/20! Wayne
Here's to Old Farts in the Wind!