MissBuffDiver

Ever jump with your canopy in backwards?

I never have but I saw Delta 11 and para-dactyl ,actually attached to risers that way. They were side packed as compared nose down Para-commander and rounds. My worst recollection of an on purpose backwards pack job was at Quincy. The guy had it that way to film three-way canopy stacks at a C-182 DZ from the front. He forgot about multi plane exits and took out someone from another load, because he never had to worry about it back home.I think both were killed needlessly.

Not me personally, but I was on a load at Raeford back in the early 80's with a guy who accidently hooked his canopy up backwards.

Rubin Maldanado and I were going to do some CRW after an RW jump. We broke off and opened close. I swooped around to dock on him when I realized I was looking at the back of the canopy but straight into Rubin's eyes!:o He was kicking his legs and waving his arms like crazy and yelling at me not to dock. It was funny as hell!;)

At landing, he flared nicely but his forward speed carried him into multiple backwards sumersaults. The only injury was to his pride.:)

My worst recollection of an on purpose backwards pack job was at Quincy. The guy had it that way to film three-way canopy stacks at a C-182 DZ from the front. He forgot about multi plane exits and took out someone from another load, because he never had to worry about it back home.I think both were killed needlessly.

I was witness to that one in 1986. Both guys impacted about 200 feet from where I was packing, and with the collective gasp rising from the ground as they entangled, it was very hard to miss.
I had done some DC3 jumps with one of the guys a day or so before.

"Now I've settled down,
in a quiet little town,
and forgot about everything"

My worst recollection of an on purpose backwards pack job was at Quincy. The guy had it that way to film three-way canopy stacks at a C-182 DZ from the front. He forgot about multi plane exits and took out someone from another load, because he never had to worry about it back home.I think both were killed needlessly.

I was witness to that one in 1986. Both guys impacted about 200 feet from where I was packing, and with the collective gasp rising from the ground as they entangled, it was very hard to miss.
I had done some DC3 jumps with one of the guys a day or so before.

It seems like it was the womens lingere load that he crashed into and entangled.
I was packing in about the same area you were and watched the whole thing too. It was ugly.

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

Gary Cobb out of CA. jumped his canopy backwards all the time back in the 80's. First read about him in Parachutist then saw him do it at the 1st World POPs Meet @Ettamoogah Pub New South Wales, Australia 1990....Lap

:S Been there... done that!

1979... on a strato cloud. I had dumped high so I had time to play with it. After flying it for a while I figured a way which seemed safe. Got a nice soft landing followed by a backwards plf. Wouldn't want to do it on any of todays ZP's.

Although, the idea of backwards CRW intrigues me.
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Never done it myself, but a good friend of mine jumped a brand new canopy that was hooked up sideways, I shit you not. Apparently he had his rigger hook up the lines to the risers, and I don't know how he didn't double-check it, but my friend packed it. He jumps, then deploys. It opens cleanly with no problems. He looks up to grab his toggles and does a double-take! :D:D There it was, one end in front of him, and the other end behind him! :ph34r:

He only had 100 jumps at the time, and even though he did the control checks, all of which passed, he didn't feel comfortable landing it sideways so he chopped it.

His rigger re-connected it and repacked his reserve for free. B|

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

The same thing happened at a para-ski meet in the northeast a bunch of years ago. The perp/victim is a well-known DZO in the northeast US whose name I won't drop here:D

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition"...Rudyard Kipling

I used to know some guys that did backwards crw in the 80's. Some buddies of mine tried to get me to do it but I refused. They did a two stack backwards and I docked third facing forward.

It was hilarious watching them land...I did a nice standup and they came in backwards looking over their shoulders. The both came running in backwards (ever try to run backwards?) and ended up on their backs.

A short time after that the wife of one of them did an intentional backwards jump and broke her back on landing. I have not seen anyone do one since then. 1987 I think it was.

I did a backwards jump intentionally recently with a Stilletto 120 loaded a tad over 2.0 but I chopped it before landing. It was on a 3 parachute setup. The dbag and PC was in my hands for the plane ride and a friend held onto the PC on exit. I had an extra ground launch harness with a cutaway handle on underneath my standard skydiving rig.

I actually didn't decide to do it backwards until I was sitting on the ramp and the plane was taxiing towards us. We did a rush job of switching the risers and rotating the bag. It opened and flew just fine but it was weird having the controls swapped.

Another kind of funny part was that there was another group of high pullers in front of us and my camera man was pointing at them, and it took me a minute to realize I was heading towards them (but still a ways off).

We messed with each other so much that after packing you locked your rig in you car until your load came up.
Somehow my buddies still found a way to reverse the risers on my Russian and I jumped it.
Landed heels then back of head.
I marked L and R with a magic marker on the risers afterwards.

We messed with each other so much that after packing you locked your rig in you car until your load came up.
Somehow my buddies still found a way to reverse the risers on my Russian and I jumped it.

The funny thing is some jokers still do that shit today on round jumps and it's even more funny when you hand your rig to another jumper without knowing it was switched, till it opens......:D

Well ok I did notice the thunderbow style "rsl" shackel was on the right side not the left and I did tell the guy, "hey there a 50% chance your canopy is backwards"

Also don't make bets with your buddys...he who lands out the most must walk back naked.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

True story from 2007 and when I saw it open, I said SOB it is backwards......:D I don't think to many people on the ground noticed. Homeboy was a good sport and was laughing about it even went to the manifest tent right in from of the spectators to much dismay of the DZO.....Those Bardstown guys are :S I tell ya.

you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

In 1976 a low-experienced German skydiver inadvertantly reversed his risers and on opening found himself flying backwards. At about 100-150 feet he made a radical turn to avoid landing on runway, but hit it anyway. As Jon Stark recently reminded me, Danny Cuocco was one of the first to get to him, followed within a couple of minutes by the Z'hills para-medics. When I arrived, Danny was pretty much in charge, but despite the best efforts of him and the medical crew, who were on the radio to a doctor in the Dade City hospital, the jumper died of a separated aorta.
Hoop