wartload

Skydiver and Pilot, too?

First Jump in 1971 and Private Pilot in 1979. I flew in business and got a multi engine and instrument rating. Also got a lighter than air rating in 1990 flying hot air balloons. When I was jumping there were several pilots who jumped. Gary Lewis ran the V-Mills DZ and had his SCR & SCS, Mike Mullins flew jumpers in a twin Beech in Austin and had his SCR, Dave Boatman ran Houston Metro Airlines and flew on many of my jumps and was also in my first 8 man, Don Walker flew and jumped. I'm sure there are lots more.

I was wondering which is more dangerous. Skydiving or flying. I've known more than a few skydivers that have been killed flying (prior to jumping or just out flying their own aircraft).

I've talked to pilots who thought skydiving was flat out crazy. They didn't know how to reply, when I said that aviation (in my mind) was just about as dangerous.

When I first started jumping, Jim Ledbettor was one of the most experienced skydivers in our club. One day they were going up to jump over Missoula. Out of the clouds came a low wing aircraft, that slammed into their Cessna. Everyone, except Jim, was killed. He steered his round parachute down, and landed in a football field, in a congested part of town.

A couple years later he had a piece of gravel in his rip-cord housing. He was unable to pull. He openned up his reserve. It was full of holes. He was hurt pretty bad on landing.

So, he kind of quit skydiving for a while. His wife talked him into it. I remember waking up one snowy morning. There was news of an airplane crash, on the radio. It was Jim. He finally ran out of luck. He was out flying his plane in bad weather.

I hope you don't get sick of hearing this story again....I have a hard time forgetting it.

I was wondering which is more dangerous. Skydiving or flying.

That's an easy answer for me: flying skydivers is more dangerous than jumping or flying which is not jump related.

You didn't specify "flying jumpers" but that's what I'm referring to. Skydiving compared to flying which is not flying jumpers I'd say is probably more dangerous.

Flying jumpers for me was such an adrenaline rush and challenge and FUN that I hardly jumped at all after I began flying jumpers. I have about 2000 hours flying up and down up and down.

The number of things that can go wrong flying for a student-oriented operation complicates and endangers the flying even more.

The best times of my life were getting the crap scared out of me dealing with in-flight emergencies.
Guru312

I am not DB Cooper

I was referring to flying in general. I've known a bunch of pilots who've bought the farm, just out flying for fun. A few of them were skydivers.

I had a good friend killed just last Spring. They swooped a farm house and then went into a steep climb. The plane stalled and crashed in the back yard. My friend died in front of his wife and kids. The pilot broke his neck, back, and a bunch of other things. His pregnant wife was watching too. I could go on and on with stories like this.

Flying in my mind is about as dangerous as jumping.

When your parachute fails you use another parachute.
When your airplane fails?

It becomes a glider. If the problem is more serious, hope you are above 1000 and use your parachute. When I was jumping I was always nervous to 1000 and then I knew I could get out if I wanted to.