thrillstalker

stowed slider ?'s

I got the magnetic holder for it but have decided not to use it after my canopy course and and ordered a set of risers with slider blocks.

What are the thoughts on the Curvs slider stow? seems like a cleaner method then around the reserve flap.

What problems could it cause? I was thinking about getting one of those cheap ones from square 1 thats just an elastic band with a rubber band on it. As far as I can tell, you just take the slider and roll it up and stick the middle through the rubber band to hold it there. If you have to cutaway after doing that, is there really a chance of that rubber band screwing up the cutaway process? Doesn't seem like it would take too much force to pull the slider from it.

Is there a different danger that I'm not seeing?

has anyone ever heard of a stowed slider causing problems with ep's.

i was thinking if you had a self induced malfuncton after stowing your slider with a stow on your reserve flap, bad shit could happen right?

Anytime you add complexity to your kit something could go wrong.

if you accept this fact then fine, if you think it is without some risk you are not seeing the full picture.

I have cutaway after stowing slider on a Sky Tie and the magnetic flap didn't release but the elastic strap slid off of the reserve flap (on a Javelin) so no issue was caused. I guess the weakest link in the chain gave first, had it become hung up on the reserve flap then I would hope the magnet would've released.

Some will say though that hope isn't a method.

You pays yer money you makes yer choice.

Coops.

If you are wearing anything on the outside of your helmet, you're putting the slider below it and that adds a possibility of the slider getting hung up on whatever is on the helmet if you chop the main.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

another solution is this :

http://www.bigairsportz.com/art-slox.php

I have it on my rig and like it.

I did a slight modification to it and if you are interested I can share that with you as well

I am thinking in applying that method to my rig, so I would be interested in knowing what modification you have made.

some more details here
http://www.chutingstar.com/expert-advice/skydive/canopies/98-slider-keeper-without-attachment

If there are so many things that can go wrong with this, then why are so many people doing it?

That's a very scary way of thinking..

i was thinking if you had a self induced malfuncton after stowing your slider with a stow on your reserve flap, bad shit could happen right?

Easy fix and we old school swoop nunya's have been doing it since looooong before the reserve flap magnet was invented.

Sew a square patch of fuzzy velcro onto the back of your jumpsuit collar and sew a mating hook velcro patch on one the end of a 2-inch strip of trim tape and then sew it to the base of the first patch.

Once you pull the slider below the steering toggles, simply twist it up, wrap the velcro strap around it and anchor it back to the mating velcro.

Your slider will sit collapsed right behind your head and well away from the reserve flaps. In the event of a cutaway, the velcro tears free with only a few pounds of tension.

It works better than the magnet, is easier to reach and manipulate, and costs almost nothing to make and install.

You can also skip collapsing your slider with the kill lines if you like. A tight twist will do the same thing and the strap (no more than 2 inches long) will keep it from unrolling. That will be one less thing to do while packing.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Yes Mitch, I forget where or when but this has really wrecked one persons day,...

type 8 risers will solve all of your slider stowing issues, :S

This issue is worth commenting upon considering 2 of the 2012 incidents are leaning towards helmet snags with risers during ep procedures! The solution is of course making damm shure your helmet releases before your neck does,...

Something to consider if your thinking of putting anything which is about 1000 times stonger than your body in close proximity to same.

Something to consider to all of you that have purchased "quick release's" for your helmet straps,...
basically my point being that your helmet manufacturer has thrown you under the bus when their marketing ploy includes mentioning this as a benifite or sales point as compared with straps that release at a predetermined pressure, before injury values,...

Notice that I still want a quick release as well,...
I'm demanding that way,...

Anyone ever seen your average K pot? Quick release and a small mechanisim in case a bomb goes off near your head,..."embrace the logic."

No actually the release on your "Helmet, combat, Kevlar,..." is there for the same reason we don't wear rings, braclets, etc,... right????

C
B|
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

Easy fix and we old school swoop nunya's have been doing it since looooong before the reserve flap magnet was invented.

Sew a square patch of fuzzy velcro onto the back of your jumpsuit collar and sew a mating hook velcro patch on one the end of a 2-inch strip of trim tape and then sew it to the base of the first patch.

Once you pull the slider below the steering toggles, simply twist it up, wrap the velcro strap around it and anchor it back to the mating velcro.

Your slider will sit collapsed right behind your head and well away from the reserve flaps. In the event of a cutaway, the velcro tears free with only a few pounds of tension.

It works better than the magnet, is easier to reach and manipulate, and costs almost nothing to make and install.

You can also skip collapsing your slider with the kill lines if you like. A tight twist will do the same thing and the strap (no more than 2 inches long) will keep it from unrolling. That will be one less thing to do while packing.

thanks!
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

thanks!

But that doesn't alter the issue of it not releasing in a cutaway situation.

Velcro is stronger in a shear direction than magnets so it could actually be worse than a magnetic slider keeper.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

thanks!

Velcro is stronger in a shear direction than magnets so it could actually be worse than a magnetic slider keeper.

A small piece of velcro could keep a cutaway main on the jumpsuit?

I tested the Skytie magnetic keeper by pulling up on the loop. The force to open the magnets is below 5 pounds. If there was an issue with a skytie then it was for sure some mechanical blockage in addition to the magnet closing force.

I am more concerned having a slider hangup on my helmet after a cutaway.

I wouldn't routinely use or recommend others use anything I hadn't fully tested.

A 2-inch square velcro loop-style connection tears free with less than 5 pound of pull when brand new.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

I wouldn't routinely use or recommend others use anything I hadn't fully tested.

A 2-inch square velcro loop-style connection tears free with less than 5 pound of pull when brand new.

Even in the shear direction?

We hear repeatedly about people having a hard pull on their cutaway if they don't peel before punching, it seems intuitive to me that the same issue would occur with a velcro slider keeper.

Magnets on the other hand are weaker in the shear direction.

I am not saying you're wrong, just that it goes against what I know about the properties of the two systems.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

We hear repeatedly about people having a hard pull on their cutaway if they don't peel before punching, it seems intuitive to me that the same issue would occur with a velcro slider keeper.

I am not saying you're wrong, just that it goes against what I know about the properties of the two systems.

But you'r stowing a slider not a line.
If you stowed a line the force would be shear, but when you place a slider in there it will be large enough to peel the velcro.

I tested it in the only direction it will ever be deployed - away. Stick a slider in the dang thing, attach it, and pull it. It will come apart with a few pounds of force.

Some of you guys need to put your calculators away and learn the term "that'll work".
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX