JeffSkydiver

Mon Yough Skydiving/Parachuting

Were they ever at Northmoreland Park near Apollo & Vandergrift PA?

I made some jumps there in 1981, but do not recall if the DZ had a name or if it was a club or if indeed it was Mon Yough.

Do you know the names of any of the jumpers from the early 80's and any other significant history?

jt

Let's all do this safe enough that we can still do this in our 90's.

Mon Yough was very active when I started in 74. It had a cadre of very experienced jumpers and I recall that they were not open to novices but I may have my facts wrong there.

Ed Heffright was there during that time and I think he hung in with the club all the way to it's dissolution or whatever.

Yes, that was one of the places that Mon-Yough used as a home....before skydivers, being what we are, managed to irritate some people with our antics and were asked to leave. I didn't start jumping at Mon-Yough until 1990, and by then it had moved to the Farm....

Let's see...names from the old days....how 'bout
Bill (willy) Ritts
John Lebda
Nick Hunter
Dave (schmuck) Shimek
Frank Miller
John Fetsko
Al Danko
LJ
there are certainly others, but it's early

Thanks!

I'll have to pull out my logbook from 1981 and put the names here of the people who signed my logbook. I recall that I showed up without gear. I only had about 50 jumps. T-10 static line progression, then PC, then squares. Mine was the Stratostar in a belly band Wonderhog. I also jumped friends' rigs because they had the newest stuff: 7 Cells!!!

Anyway, at Northmoreland, I showed up without gear. They rented me a PC, which I hadn't jumped for about 30 jumps. I stood it up using back risers right in the peas.

A fellow hobbled up to me with his leg in a cast. He said I have nearly a brand new rig here and of course I can't jump. If you're going to be here for the weekend you're welcome to jump my rig and I'll pack for you or help you pack!!!

Now that was hospitality on a dz!!!!!

I can't wait to look in my logbook and write his name here.

I seem to recall that not long after there were one or more deaths due to CRW - I hope it wasn't anyone I met that weekend.

jt

Let's all do this safe enough that we can still do this in our 90's.

I was a member of the Mon Yough Skydivers in 65-66 and came back to Mckeesport from Detroit where I had joined the Lake St Clair Skydivers when I was discharged from the 501st Inf 101 Abn. They had a DZ on top of a hill overlooking Westinghouse Airbrake in Wilmerding. The owner
died and he made it a junkyard. Their patch was in the shape of a keystone and was the center patch on a PCA magazine honoring the clubs. I loved the club years and went to 2 accuracy meets with my crew from MI. They had a Stinson or Howard. They moved out where? Phil Zaviski D-2600

I jumped at the Mon Yough club for several years in the late seventies and early eighties. The man that was responsible for the original club was Ed Luby, Ed and Bobby Brown were the old timers. Kitty Murphy was also one of the corner stones. The examininer was Butch Walker, a big balded headed dude that jump an old cloud that didn't have much of a reefing system. Chuck Lenard (Wessel) was probably the best in RW. Micky Mitique was so sexy and not a bad skydiver too. Chuck Bryant was a good friend and I was told he die from a plane accedent a few years ago. They were all good friends and we had a lot of fun together. I was instuctor there for a couple of years and the president of the group of a year.

I think his hair fell out from drinking too much Iron City beer. Or maybe not enough. Maybe it was from the tension of being a Safety Officer. He got a little nervous when we built a 3-way and started our breakoff at 2500 feet, with 500 stacked openings. Luckily we were a little down wind from the target so I could start my final approach without turning. Still married?