wartload

First Jump from Ultralight?

I wonder who has the first documented jump from an Ultralight? I took Rudi Krenz up at Orange, Va (Rudi's now in NM) during the summer of 1982 and let him climb out of an Eipper MXII. We also talked about trying to do UL/CRW, but some manner of good sense got into the way as I contemplated a canopy wrapped around the tail feathers. I'm sure Rudi logged that jump. Anyone know of an earlier one? (Anyone remember Orange being a li'l tiny club?)

HELLO:P Don't know about ultralight....but back in the 70's....Rich Piccirrilli and Sylvia Lindgren were jumping from a hanglider. Took place in Elsinore. Then I stopped jumping just when the ultralights were coming on the scene. A lot has gone on since I stopped. I don't even know the language anymore. It's all good though, I'm sure :)
Sandy

Dave - You are lucky to have him around there. Rudi, as you know, isn't the kind to go around blowing his own horn, but he's contributed a great deal to the sport over many years. I'd be willing to bet that he's trained almost as many students as anyone still active today. He's high on my short list of "Authentic Sky Gods".

>>but back in the 70's....Rich Piccirrilli and Sylvia Lindgren were jumping from a hanglider. Took place in Elsinore.<<

After that Rich P, along with a different jumper, did the same thing over Yosemite Valley with Carl Boenish filming from the ground. They got into a lot of Ranger trouble for that.

We were doing Ultralight jumps in 1981 on an Indian reservation in Ramona, California. Bruce Jenner's father owned and ran the operation. Of our group I was the first to go up and after I landed my big advice for the rest was, "get earplugs."

I think there is (or was) an ultralite that was designed for skydiving . . . the only problem was in order to fly passengers for hire the pilot must be commercial rated, but the ultralite wasn't certified and, oh you know, it was your typical FAA bag of worms . . .

We got away it anyway, paying for the lifts, as the FAA fumed as they couldn't come on the reservation and bust us . . .

NickD :)BASE 194