nitrochute

roy johnson

Roy was flying for an airline. He has put on some weight but is still relatively healthy. He showed up at a jump event about two years ago, so Ive been told.

I knew Roy when he was at his best, and filmed him with a 16mm GSAP camera, doing style, along with the late Eric Bahor and others. It took a week to get the film developed and printed, so i could screen it the following weekend.

Bill Cole D-41

I remember following Roy out and watching him turn a series. That was April 13th 1967 at Greene County Sports Parachute Cente, Xenia, Ohio. My log book states that we were jumping a Cessna 180 from 7500. My log books remarks state "With Roy Johnson and Tim Popp. Bad spot by Johnson"

The thing I remember most about Roy was that his Bell Helmet had CIVILIAN stencilled across the front. This was Roy's dig at the Army Team who were Roy's biggest competitors at the Nationals and had ARMY stencilled on their helmets.
I don't care how many skydives you've got,
until you stepped into complete darkness at
800' wearing 95 lbs of equipment and 42 lbs
of parachute, son you are still a leg!

He retired from Continental a few years back...

Use to sleep on our couch when he was in
San Diego...
(We were 10 minutes from the airport)

The thing I remember most about Roy was that his Bell Helmet had CIVILIAN stencilled across the front.

I remember "Solo RW" on one helmet he had...
S & A...ALL the way!
B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

yes i remember that helmet. i met him in 1966 when he and the rest of the U.S.parachute Team were training in new jersey. this weekend i saw the NHRA drag racing on tv. and one of the team owners was a guy named Roy Johnson.after looking closer, i think it could be him,tho its been almost 40 years since i saw him.does anyone know if he has a son named allan ?and do they race?

If you talk to Roy, ask him if he recalls the time when:

Roy and others were in Florida practicing style. Roy had run out of money and had to do some hard thinking of how he was going to continue being able to pay for his jumps.

The guy who handed me the chute on my 1st chuteless effort was Captain Larry Costello, of the Canadian army. Larry was also in Florida practicing style and accuracy with the Canadian team,

Roy decided to borrow Larry Costello's Captain uniform from the Canadian army, and use it to get a free ride on an aircraft back to Ohio. He walked up to the counter, some other US service men saluted him, and Roy got his free ride home.

He agreed to sign papers for his wife, that he would adopt her two children....for $2000.00 cash. She gave himhis money right after he signed, and he returned to Florida with all the rights of a military Captain and $2 grand in his hand.

He continued his style practice, and when the time came, he was once again the US National Champion.

Bill Cole D-41

]Hi. My name is Pete Garm. Eric Bahor was my Uncle and he also had a helmet that said "Civilian" on it. I am looking for pics and information about him and his sky diving career. I Also remember Ray Johnson as he would come over to my uncles house and help him in the taxidermy shop at times.