base570

oldest solo skydiver?

Every time this comes up I'd always got in trouble with the DZO because I'd sit them down (the oldie who wants to jump) and talk them out of it.

This fellow's shoulder (in the above story) is never going to heal.

I learned this lesson years ago with an 85 year old who showed up at Elsinore with the following story. (They all have a story).

As a young man he's part of B-17 crew making bombing runs over Germany. His A/C is hit by withering flack and the skipper radioed everyone to prepare to bail out. He told me there was no way he could bring himself to jump and he decided to go down with the plane.

At the last moment the skipper said to hold on as he thought they might make it back. And they did, all the way to England.

He told me the fact he couldn't jump was something that haunted him all his life. He was here now to exercise that demon.

My DZO at the time was beside herself with the publicity angle and I went along with it even though the alarm bells are clanging in my head. The number one responsibility of a skydiving instructor is student safety. It's not to make everyone happy.

Well, I put him out on a static line jump with the biggest square canopy we had and he did pretty much everything right. On landing his 85 year old bones just went snap. I'll never forgive myself for that, and vowed I'd never do it again.

Later, when presented with people of that age, who didn't want to go tandem, I always find the following usually works. I ask them to tell me about themselves and then say they've already lived a good and full life. Then I ask, "Do you know what's really up there in the sky? When they admit they didn't, I say, "Look, I've done this a lot and here's what's up there, absolutely nothing . . ."

Of course, in general there are some oldies capable of jumping solo, but not many. Think of putting a 90 year old person out the same way you'd think of putting a ten year old out. If you don't, you aren't doing your job.

NickD :)BASE 194

If you don't, you aren't doing your job.

Amen Brother!
[:/]

There use to be this 75 year old guy that
would come out every couple of months to a
DZ I worked at...had his own Jumbo PC...
he would make a static line jump or two, do
a nice PLF, buy some beer...and come back
a couple months later to do it all again.

The 'powers that be' talked him into a
square jump...I think somebody really
wanted him to BUY some gear through
the DZ.

I fought the idea but probably not strong
enough...he hooked the square just like
he always did the PC...

Broke both legs and his hips...

NEVER WALKED AGAIN!

Still haunts me too!
:|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Thanks Jimbo, that's exactly what I mean. We keep having to learn the same lessons over and over at the expense of our students . . . because new Instructors think they are the bomb, but the bomb goes off in some innocent's lap. Learn your lessons from us and not your current students.

The new USPA way of becoming an "I" is totally flawed and devoid of the peer way it used to be.

In my first jump course, back in 1972, there was an old guy signed up. He was only about 60 or so, but he had no buisness skydiving. I mean it was a pretty rough sport back in those days. He had a young wife and a whole passel of kids. We all admired this gutsy old fart, but he should have chosen another sport.

Anyhow he shattered his leg under a 28 ft. round canopy. He worked as a welder and was off work for months. I'll bet his family had a tough time of it too.

I later worked at a job with this guy. You could tell he wanted to jump again, but I think he learned his lesson. He shouldn't have let his courage outweigh good sense. But then again if we all played it safe none of us would probably be jumping today....Steve1

Thanks Jimbo, that's exactly what I mean. We keep having to learn the same lessons over and over at the expense of our students . . . because new Instructors think they are the bomb, but the bomb goes off in some innocent's lap. Learn your lessons from us and not your current students.

The new USPA way of becoming an "I" is totally flawed and devoid of the peer way it used to be.

Its not just instructors. Every generation of new jumpers, every 15 to 18 years or so, have to re-learn all the lessons that the last generation already discovered. They view the last generation as used up burnouts that refuse to try "new" things. So they re-invent the wheel, kill off a bunch and cripple some more. 15 to 18 years latter, they find themselves trying rein in the latest flock of know-it-all's. And the beat goes on.:P

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I find it difficult to deny an adult, who is fully informed of the possible, even likely, consequences, the opportunity to skydive. I also fully support any instructor who refuses to participate. Remember, there are plenty of people out there who will tell YOU that you should not jump, it is too much risk to you, and your loved ones. At what percent risk do you say no? 5%, 25%...? Do you base your refusal on whether they are married, or have kids?

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

I find it difficult to deny an adult, who is fully informed of the possible, even likely, consequences, the opportunity to skydive

Do you base your refusal on whether they are married, or have kids?

What is 'fully informed?'

Do they really grasp the whole picture?

I encourage people to do a little cost~benefit
analysis....

What do they hope to gain...and is it really worth
what they're risking?!

Old folks break easier and they don't heal
as fast or sometimes at all...
They need to be made brutally aware that
there ARE risks of injury...or worse.

There are limitations...for all of us!

A 70 year old FJS may well be fully qualified
in every aspect...but STILL may want to give
a little extra thought.
Even a sprained knee isn't the same to him
as to a 21 year old.

there are plenty of people out there who will tell YOU that you should not jump, it is too much risk to you, and your loved ones. At what percent risk do you say no? 5%, 25%...?

On a personal note...
Motorcycle crash put 2 rods & 6 screws
in my lower back...
No more bikes...I'm an "E" short of a
base number that I'll never get.
No more Tandems...No 'Hot-Rod'
canopies...
To much risk of long term INJURY.

When we adopted our kids ~
Wife decided to stop flying aerobatics
and doing air shows...we've seen to many
'great' pilots & good friends die or be injured.

We reviewed Limitations...Costs & Benefits,
adjustments were made accordingly.

There's no doubt about it, you definitely do get wiser with age. When I look back at all the foolhardy, crazy stuff I did in my youth, I have to shake my head. I'm definitely lucky to still be here. Experienced Instructors probably become aware of this when working with younger students....Steve1

Experienced Instructors probably become aware of this when working with younger students....Steve1

Yup...!
But it kind of goes back to what Sparky said
about re learning lessons.

And what Nick said about the certifications
being less that ideal.

I was listening to Glen Bangs discussing
the Instructor programs last year and he
brought up some points I hadn't considered.

Mainly that the retention rate of 'quality'
Instructors is at an all time low...

A lot of factors play into it,
Time..Money..Politics...
but the bottom line is, not as many "I's"
continue to teach as long as they use to.

To 'pass on' the knowledge they've gained
from years of teaching.

The 'older & wiser' guys are fewer and
farther between the younger 'professional'
Instructors slinging meat for profit.
Who too, will eventually burn out and move on.

One example:
A friend in his 30's just completed an AFF
program at a popular So.Cal. DZ...
He was shocked at the bickering his "I's"
were doing in front of him...the inconsistent
gear checks throughout the program...the
lack of answers to his questions...

He felt he was just 'another $' and his
personal motivation alone is what kept
him in the sport thus far.

Not pointing fingers...I did it too!
:)

And I too quit as I got 'older' and burned out.

>>Was the jump worth the price, to him?<<

I see where you going, Tom, but I know no jump, for whatever reason, is worth a plaster agony. Especially at his age. Naturally, I didn't have that conversation with him. But, if he's human like the rest of us, he came to that conclusion eventually. If not, I would tell him his manhood was already proven the day he climbed into that B-17 . . .

He came to me because I was a pro, and I failed him . . .

I used to absolutely love "slinging meat" as you so aptly put it. In the mid to late 70's I had a rural DZ in Southern GA and we would fly about 15-30 loads per wknd. I loved the packing, the jumpmastering, the mentoring, the idea of turning others onto what I considered the most exilerating sport on the planet.

What I didn't like getting good at, and I had to get good at it, was picking up the broken students. I felt bad, just plain bad. How could this happen? Why, with no rhyme or reason, would a student get hurt at no fault of their own?

I moved to Deland and was fortunate enough to participate in the earliest test jumps of Tandem a few years after witnessing Bob Favreau take his son and Mike Barbour take Kirk Morrison on probably the first tandems.

Man, did it feel good to be able to take students up with so many of the usual risks mitigated to the point of non-existance. (Until the first tandem fatalities but that is divergent from the thread.) I felt that I had redeemed myself for all those injured students by helping develop the system and using it to turn more on.

The DZO took responsability for the "tricky" pax. The paralytics, octogenerians, oversized and blind were all his and he was welcome to them. But they got hurt from time ot time and it bothered me.

I have a lot of respect for the prospective students that took my advice when I told them that if they didn't REALLY want to be there then it would be best for all of us if they just watched. It wasn't just them I was thinking about.

jon
ramble, ramble

And the pounding of students just goes on and on . . .

Don't you realize we aren’t the same people that log in here with all their happy talk about their first new rig and all its pretty colors.

Being a skydiving instructor is one of the most important things you can ever do, please get hip to it . . .

NickD
BASE 194

Back in the 70's it wasn't unusual to have over 20 students in a first jump class. Back then you paid $50. for the course, and this included all your training and your first static line jump. Jumps after that were about $5.00 until you got into freefall. Experienced jumpers paid $3.50 per jump.

At any rate it wasn't unusual to have a couple broken legs in a class this size. In almost every class this happened, and this didn't include sprained ankles. On one of the larger classes I taught the P.L. F. part of the course. No, I've never had an instructor rating. In fact, I only had about 40 skydives at the time (which was a fair number for that time period), but I also had about 25 army jumps. If I knew nothing else, I knew how to do a good P.L.F. Many of the less experienced jumpers in our club helped out with part of the training (which may not have been a good idea).

It was a great feeling thoughto see the entire class make their first one, without a single injury. I felt like I had really accomplished something good. I imagine it could also have been a real bummer if someone was busted up on landing.

It's easy to put a guilt trip on yourself, and it's easy to beat yourself up when something terrible goes wrong. The old guy, making this jump, knew the risks. Maybe it was worth it to him to make that jump even though he was hurt. If he only broke one leg at that age, maybe he didn't do so bad after all....Steve1