steve1

Do you think our club has a drinking problem?

There is some history to this photo. A brewing company gave us a keg to drink if we would take a picture of our club drinking it.

Our club is supposed to be the oldest continually running collegiant club in the U.S. It started in the 50's. At one time nearly all our members were college students. Now our club has almost no college members. I guess they don't like hanging out with all us old farts.

Our club is owned by Hod Sanders on the far left. Hod is a former member of Mirror Image, a former member of the Navy parachute team (The Leap Frogs), helped build the Olympic rings going into the Olympics in Korea. He still goes on all of B.J.'s big ways, including the last 357 way. He may be older and heavier now, but he can still fly like a bird.

Walt Mercer is the old guy on the far upper right. He flew the first ten-way out of his beech in Taft, California. He lost his commercial rating recently due to a heart murmor. I think it was hard for him to quit flying jumpers.

Bob Smith is second from right on the bottom. He's over 65 and has been in a couple SOS world records. Bob grew up in Idaho, but fought in the Israeli army in Jordan during the 70's. He says he still has his stripes and that he may have to go back over there to get things straightened out.

I'm the intelligent looking old fart on the far right. I've never done anything famous, but someday I may.....Steve1

They moved the D.Z. from Missoula to Stevensville about 20 years ago. That's about 30 miles south of Missoula. Hod brings his airplane up to the Ronan airport every other weekend during the summer. Look us up. We'd enjoy jumping with you....Steve1

No, Rob jumps mostly in the Bozeman area. He's a great guy. He used to jump at Stevensville all the time, but he moved to Bozeman quite a while ago. He doesn't jump as much now as he once did. I saw him last summer jumping out of Greg Nardi's King Air, so I know he still jumps...Steve1

Thanks for the info on Robb, we work for the same company but I dont get to talk to him much. I bought a Sharpchuter from him a couple of years ago. You are right, he is a really great guy. Thanks again

Always remember, when you get where you're going, there you are!

Bob Smith has been making the news lately, and I was wondering if some might want to take another look at his handsome young mug. He was in the recent SOS World Record in Florida. And then I opened up my new Parachutist and there he was again, making a stadium jump (on page 14).

The picture failed to mention that Bob is well over 60 years young and now drawing Social Security. He was also a Russian Professor during the 70's at the U. of M.. Not only is he a jumper, but also a commercial pilot.

One winter back in 72, Bob was flying our jump plane much of the time. One day B.J. Worth was jumpmastering a static line student when his reserve suddenly fired next to the open door of our club 180. Bob noticed this before B.J. Bob immediately quit flying the airplane and tried slaming the door. This may have saved everyone's life. One of the static line students was Hod Sanders who later became a member of Mirror Image on B.J.'s team. Hod couldn't figure out why everyone was shouting and slamming doors, nor why the airplane suddenly started going Z.

I heard B.J. wrote a story about this back in the 70's. I think it had to do with the dangers of having a chest pack reserve while jumpmastering static line students.

On another jump around 1970. Bob was supposed to pilot the club plane for some loads. He couldn't make it so another pilot was called. A few hours later a mid-air collision with another plane occured over down town Missoula, killing everyone but one jumper.

This surviving jumper was later severely injured in a double malfunction. And then later killed in an airplane crash in a snowstorm here in Montana.

Some of these old guys may look old and whimpy, but don't believe it. Bob's my hero!

At any rate our club has a lot of history to it, and I'm sad to say that this may be the last year our club is in existence. (Again this is the oldest collegiant club in the U.S.) The price of insurance is too high, and the club is in the process of folding very soon:(....Steve1