AggieDave

MG (the car) advertisement jump

Watching Car and Driver TV this afternoon (weathered out for jumping), talking about the MGs from the 60's and such. Anyways, there was about a 10 second clip of an MG being pushed out of (it looked like a C-123, could be wrong) and a jumper and video guy following out.

The car had its own canopy (with the MG logo all over it) and the jumper that followed it out was jumping what looked at the quick clip I saw to be a Para-Commander in a Pioneer rig. I could bee 100% wrong about the gear, though, it was a very quick clip.

The jumper was flying his canopy right next to the car's canopy, all in all it was very cool.

Anyways, what are the details of this jump? Was this the first car jump? What year, who was the jumper, etc...

Better yet, anyone have video of this they would like to post?
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

The MG probably had to be pushed off the ramp because it wouldn't start:D:D

We had a MG for a while, Old joke

Know why brits drink warm beer? "Their fridge is made by Lucas".:D:D:D

Lucas was a brit company that made a lot of the electical parts for brit cars. The MG was nice when it was running but :o unreliable:(. Our starter caught on fire once driveing down the road, etc, etc.

R.i.P.

Hey Dave!! I know that ad...

being more of a Triumph man I enjoyed the sight of an MG in flight ;)

Seriously though, on one of my various tapes of the series Legends of Motorsport I have an MG program that features that very commercial. It's been a while since I've watched the tape but now that you've got me curious I might just have to dig it up and do some research. If memory serves it would have been in the late 60's. I might even rip it into mpeg format and figure out how to skydiving-movies.com it...

Dave

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

but now that you've got me curious I might just have to dig it up and do some research. If memory serves it would have been in the late 60's. I might even rip it into mpeg format and figure out how to skydiving-movies.com it...

Man, if you could watch it and give better details, that'd be cool.

If you wanted to take the time to rip it, that would be badass.B|
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

The MG probably had to be pushed off the ramp because it wouldn't start

Had an MG Midget in my teens. My dad's running line when I went out on a date was, "Remember to park it on a hill!"

Funny guy.
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

The MG probably had to be pushed off the ramp because it wouldn't start:D:D

We had a MG for a while, Old joke

Know why brits drink warm beer? "Their fridge is made by Lucas".:D:D:D

Lucas was a brit company that made a lot of the electical parts for brit cars. The MG was nice when it was running but :o unreliable:(. Our starter caught on fire once driveing down the road, etc, etc.

R.i.P.

See:
www.iit.edu/~kallend/#skip

It still has its original Lucas starter, generator and wiper motor and they all work. I replaced the original distributor and voltage regulator about 25 years ago with genuine Lucas replacement parts.

Prince of Darkness indeed!

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

It still has its original Lucas starter, generator and wiper motor and they all work. I replaced the original distributor and voltage regulator about 25 years ago with genuine Lucas replacement parts.

Prince of Darkness indeed!

One out of thousands, Prince of Darkness Indeed!
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Hi John

1946 MG:o Very nice:)

As far as the lucas electrical parts, who knows maybe their reliability has had it's peaks and valley's or they just don't make them like they used to. Did lucas make electrical part for the Jags & RR?

How many miles on that sweety?

R.I.P.

R.I.P.

Hi John

1946 MG:o Very nice:)

As far as the lucas electrical parts, who knows maybe their reliability has had it's peaks and valley's or they just don't make them like they used to. Did lucas make electrical part for the Jags & RR?

How many miles on that sweety?

R.I.P.

R.I.P.

It has around 100k miles on it (hard to know the exact number at that age). I drive it about 100 miles/year. It prolly could do with a valve job and rings soon (say, sometime in the next 10 years).

Jags had Lucas, not sure about RR (never owned a RR).

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Total thread drift perpetuation, but I had a '74 MGB (british racing green with tan interior). Last year with the small chrome bumpers.

I had a red 75 that I bought new...

From day 1 it would run along fine for a
while..then just quit! >:(

Happened ALL the time..no rhyme or reason...
sometimes it would go 200 miles...sometimes
5 or 10....[:/]

About the 5th time I brought it back to the dealership, the guy says..

You've never owned a Brit. car before have you~
...Two choices:
Put up with it and keep getting laid,
or trade it in on a Dodge Dart...!

Yeah..I kept it! :P

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

IIRC, the film used in the commercial was from the SECOND drop, due to the car in the first drop standing only about 12 inches tall after streamering in due to broken suspension lines from battery-acid contamination.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Hey Sparky, I heard you were dead,.........Glad to here your not, and I am at work

Not dead by a long shot. If you are at work, get to work.B| If I make it up to Cal. City in the next couple of weeks, you jump with this old "dead" man. (check center fold of Dec. Parachutist)

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals