steve1

Anyone recongize these old Idaho jumpers?

I was wondering if anyone recongizes these old Idaho jumpers. I'll bet Darkwing knows some of them. I think Steve Morrow is on top, 2nd from left. Correct me if I'm wrong. I can't recall where this picture was taken. Might be Spokane, Washington or Star, Idaho about 74.....Steve1

1974 wasn't that long ago .. or was it:o I forget:|

From the photo, looks like all those young jumpers had nice gear. notice the reserve ripcord handle's some on the right side and some on the top:)
Looks like some of their head gear was even safety rated.

That was some expensive custom gear:)
Thanks for posting the photo.

R.I.P.

The photo suffers from being too small and when I download it and enlarge it there isn't any resolution. I'm pretty sure the aircraft is the AT-11 (Twin Beech) that was owned by Wally Benton, at Star, ID then. I seem to recall it had a square door like that. Can you rescan, and make it a jpeg maybe, or just send me a better version via email? I'd love to look at it more closely.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Sorry for the poor picture. My damn scanner and computer are giving me fits. I made it bigger but it wouldn't work so I had to go 75% size wise. I'll keep tinkering with it. Somehow I'll get it bigger. I'm thinking of fine tuning my computer with a big hammer.....Steve1

I think the guy kneeling, second from left, with yellow trim on his reserve container, might be John Crist, who was a pilot and jumper. Also, the tall guy standing on the right, looks like it might be Lyle MacIsaac? No clue about the girl.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

If you look at the front of the aircraft it appears to be a bubble nose. This means it was an AT-11, a military version of the Beech 18, used to train navigators and bombardiers. It is probably the same aircraft (just a guess on my part) in the photo in the thread "First All Collegiant - 8-way" since both threads are about the Northwest and look to be the same era.

Jack

If you look at the front of the aircraft it appears to be a bubble nose. This means it was an AT-11, a military version of the Beech 18, used to train navigators and bombardiers. It is probably the same aircraft (just a guess on my part) in the photo in the thread "First All Collegiant - 8-way" since both threads are about the Northwest and look to be the same era.

Jack

It sure does. I thought all AT-11's were older, round door 18's. Guess I was wrong.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

There appears to be single-shot system in there, as well as a "blast" handle..........those were the days!!!

Blast handle on the second from the right, back row, but I don't see the single-shot's. Help out an old mans eyes, which one?

Sparky

There appears to be single-shot system in there, as well as a "blast" handle..........those were the days!!!

Blast handle on the second from the right, back row, but I don't see the single-shot's. Help out an old mans eyes, which one?

Sparky

Hi Sparky

This was a fun thread kind of like the pics of how may yhings can you pick out.

I'm guessing the guy with the one shots is the dude middle rear row. Maybe called kryloks or something?

Still don't think it's a old pic:P

R.I.P.

Sparky

Hi Sparky

This was a fun thread kind of like the pics of how may yhings can you pick out.

I'm guessing the guy with the one shots is the dude middle rear row. Maybe called kryloks or something?

Still don't think it's a old pic:P

R.I.P.

I think you are right, the guy with the sort of red hair.
You know I was thinking that the hair styles don't fit with the gear.:P

Sparky

It is one of those pictures, how many things can you pick out. Or how many things can you remember.:P

I think you are right, the guy with the sort of red hair.
You know I was thinking that the hair styles don't fit with the gear.:P

reply]

You know, that's a good point. This must have been a very clean cut group of jumpers compared to most skydivers in the 70's. I thought I was the only "Red Neck" who came out of that time period...I guess not!......Steve1

I just checked, and I have 246 jumps out of that airplane. Yes, it had a cool, bubble nose, much more blunt than a D-18. Sitting in it made me uncomfortable being so close to the propellors. It also had a small trap door on the floor, just forward of the door. You could open the little trap door and look out the bottom of the plane.

Actually I would have guessed that it was taken well prior to 1974, maybe 1971 or 72. I'm referring this photo to another guy from that time and place. He predates me by a couple of years.

Also, does the guy wearing the piggyback rig look like a very young Ted Mayfield to anyone else? Maybe I'm just having a bad dream though.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Darkwing,
I took the picture, probably in 73. I can't recall where for sure. Some of these jumpers could be Washington jumpers. I just found another old picture taken in Spokane with the same Beech. This may be why some of the jumpers are so hard to remember. Check out my next photo....Steve1

I think this is Wally's Beech. Correct me if I'm wrong. It was taken at Deer Park, Washington (Spokane area)..... In 73 or 74....There are some real characters in this photo. Many were Kalispell jumpers. Left to right. Dave Tousey, Nancy Krouse, Pug, Fred Sands, Me, Bob Murray, Blackburn, Andrus, Larry Mason, (B.J. Worth looking out the door) and Gordy Listor.

I've got a better photo of this at work. If this is too dark, I'll show it tomorrow.....Steve1

There never was a "young" Mayfield.:P But you may be right.

Sparky

He seemed old to us young sprouts in the 70's. I met him at his DZ at Sheridan way back when. He must be really, really old by now. Whereever he is I hope he's doing well.

Say that might be a good title for another "thread".....Ted Mayfield stories....I know a few of his stories didn't have happy endings, but I'd bet someone could write a book about his adventures. The fatalities at his place were of course unfortunate. But I'll bet there were plenty of good times too....Steve1

There never was a "young" Mayfield.:P But you may be right.

Sparky

He seemed old to us young sprouts in the 70's. I met him at his DZ at Sheridan way back when. He must be really, really old by now. Whereever he is I hope he's doing well.

Say that might be a good title for another "thread".....Ted Mayfield stories....I know a few of his stories didn't have happy endings, but I'd bet someone could write a book about his adventures. The fatalities at his place were of course unfortunate. But I'll bet there were plenty of good times too....Steve1

Mayfield thread might not be the hot ticket. I heard he is in jail.

Sparky