steve1

Anyone recongize these old Idaho jumpers?

OMG Jeffy, I can't believe I'm going to compare logbooks with you but I think Rozzo had at least 3 Beeches thru the years and always 2 at OZMO thru the mid to late 70's. My log book shows lots of AT-11 loads at Henley and OZMO and a couple of references to '501' as an AT-11. That was the green/white one that Les Williams landed with the right main stuck in the up position and Mo riding it down with him instead of jumping. Remember that one?

SN-1B showed up later as I have a few of those logged starting in 77 and remember video of it from the mid 80s. I always assumed it was Rozzo's or maybe Taylor's, but it was treated as an OZMO plane. The AT-11 had a square door and I think it replaced a knot-hole D-18 which was what we jumped when I first got to Henley in late 74-early 75. I've also got some local (not Mayfielld's Orange Crate or White Whale) D-18 loads sprinkled in through the 70's. So I think we used the AT-11 as primary and the D-18 as back-up and formation loads. But who was paying close attention when we could use the DC-3 for a load of 8?

Guess the next step is looking at old photos (buzz jobs obviously) That's my story and I'm sticking to it.............for now anyway. More later.......maybe.
Ted
D6691 SCR 3975 SCS 2242 NSCR 698
On the road to wrack and ruin…………
but making damn good time.

OK, here it is; 501's finest hour. Joe Taylor buzzing Star at the 2nd upside down meet July 78. And my finest hour, doing a double moon with Zak's wife Cheryl. I have no idea how I got picked for that load, but it sure was fun.
Ted

Hi Jeff,

No 'thinking' about it; I Caught up with Rozzo out at the dz in Jean, NV a good many years ago (his last day of owning the dz) and we spent a full afternoon kicking the old days around.

It was his Beech and crazy Joe did her in.

JerryBaumchen

Yeah it was his Beech. Rozzo still had two more Beeches when he first came to Vegas to open his DZ.
They were both painted purple and silver and had Imitari Airlines on the side. He told me at the time that was his "importation" company.

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

and mature

ROFL. Good one Rob. ;)

Yep, you got those right. There's 3 more that should be easily identifiable to Boise boys. And a couple of others more hidden but still identifiable to Jeff and No. Idaho guys.
Ted

The others are Lyle McIssac at the far left standing next to Herbie Gibson in green. Sully in red/black rig is talking to Emmett. I think that's Randy Houk on the other side of Rozzo (red/black reserve flaps visible). Joel Anderson is on the other side of Emmett.

OK, next picture: at the 78 Nationals in Richmond. Who's going to name and tell a story about these 4 famous Boise boys who proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that there was something mighty peculiar in the water.
Ted

i don't think they are missing, when my dad was down visiting me over christmas he was saying something about diggin' up old footage and pics he had along with his log books that where somewhere in the attic at the house. When I move home in april i will find them.. i want to see what was going on in the "good ol' days" i hear so many stories from dave t. my dad and the rest of the gang at l.p should be good shit, i know there are atleast 5 or 10 photo albums at the house with pics from all over the place from the early days, all sitting in the closet. have to spend a couple days lookin through them:)

the big dirty

The others are Lyle McIssac at the far left standing next to Herbie Gibson in green. Sully in red/black rig is talking to Emmett. I think that's Randy Houk on the other side of Rozzo (red/black reserve flaps visible). Joel Anderson is on the other side of Emmett.

OK, next picture: at the 78 Nationals in Richmond. Who's going to name and tell a story about these 4 famous Boise boys who proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that there was something mighty peculiar in the water.

If I heard correctly there was some question of whether or not launching a formation was permitted. Did my mentors win out on that and open a door of exit possibilities? I thought that was the story. They sure shaped my thinking about exits and skydiving in general. dzp

some question of whether or not launching a formation was permitted

While I don't believe that was the question, Jeffy can weigh in on the details of some real groundbreaking questions about exits that he asked in the 4 way team briefing (4 way was out of Cessna 182's). One quetion was "could they ask the pilot for a certain flap configuration". They (Tesseract) had some pretty good exits figured out which involved using the leading edge of the flap (which needed to be 10 deg down). The chief pilot had never heard about that, so he naturally resisted (afraid there would be some hidden danger).

There was also some controversy (or at least ambiguity) about how long they had to launch after the exit command. The judges were using telemeters and they did not want the exit to be straight up. Judging back then was unavoidably pretty loosey goosey. A side note; it was so loosey goosey that one judge :S wanted to add her own criteria of how "pretty" the formations and transitions were; not just whether or not the formation was correct and grips were there. While that idea has some legs today with the exquisite in-air video, it was considered a "hash dream" back then.

Well, that's all I can remember right now; my team wasn't good enough to worry about any of that, so I didn't pay a whole lot of attention. Jeffy and Tesseract did win the 78 Nationals in 4 way though. Jeff's website has a picture of them cracking the champagne after the last jump which was pretty dramatic IIRC.

Jeffy, time to add your detail. B|
Ted

Thanks for the clarification, and Jeff do chime in here and send me a link to your site. I would like to see what you're up to lately and if a current project might interest you. Likewise with you ted, it has been a while, since what the upsidedowners or has it been more recent, thought you were here is Az a while back?

dzp www.dahlendesigns.com

send me a link to your site

Jeffy's history for all the world to see:
http://www.cofc.edu/~wraggj/skydive_hist.html#special

Ted......thought you were here is Az a while back?

. Yeah, Eloy right? that was only 10-12 years ago. You still there?
Ted

some question of whether or not launching a formation was permitted

While I don't believe that was the question, Jeffy can weigh in on the details of some real groundbreaking questions about exits that he asked in the 4 way team briefing (4 way was out of Cessna 182's). One quetion was "could they ask the pilot for a certain flap configuration".

We launched pretty much every formation in 4-way competition at the time. The aircraft was C-182s. Some decent teams launched a single formation and transitioned to the 1st point. Our exits certainly gave us an edge at the time, although jumping anything other than a C-182 removed some of our edge I think.

The "Flap" issue was interesting. Being an unknown team from nowhere at the '78 Nationals, nobody paid attention to us (I considered it a plus). At the captains meeting prior to competition I asked if anyone objected if we wanted a notch of flaps for exit, and were we allowed to grip the leading edge of the flap. One guy I didn't know said he "would object only if we won." I guess we got the last laugh on that. The next year we won also, but it wasn't as big a surprise to everyone else.

Judging was VERY different. Cats had to be straight for example. You couldn't get away with "cheating" on grips as you can today. The formations had to be pretty much carbon copies of what the diagrams in the competition manual look like, or else the judges would say it wasn't presented properly.

Also, you had to know where the judges were on jump run, because you couldn't transition off the hill if the formation was edge-on to the judges. This explicitly entered our dive plan on each jump.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

5 or 10 photo albums at the house with pics from all over the place from the early days, ........... have to spend a couple days lookin through them, maybe even post a few

I'm sure there are some classics in there that would be even better if the background information was told.

Case in point; the Boise boys at the Nationals; right to left: Pat Arther (the squirrel), Funny Miller, Little John McEnroe and Randy Yost. These guys set the background, created the culture (however you want to describe it) that gave us Pete Hill at his finest. I mean, Pete, being a redhead and all, never needed any help with crazy ideas, but I don't think his life and reputation in Spokane could hold a candle to his Boise shenannigans, thanks to guys like these. And I say that with more than a touch of awe :oand envy.

For example: Pete blew up a dead cow at the DZ one new year's eve. But what led up to that? I'm sure it wasn't meticulously preplanned........it just happened with some help. I think I'll send Pete an EM and ask him to set that record straight. ;)
Ted

I'm sure there are some classics in there that would be even better if the background information was told.

Case in point; the Boise boys at the Nationals; right to left: Pat Arther (the squirrel), Funny Miller, Little John McEnroe and Randy Yost. These guys set the background, created the culture (however you want to describe it) that gave us Pete Hill at his finest. I mean, Pete, being a redhead and all, never needed any help with crazy ideas, but I don't think his life and reputation in Spokane could hold a candle to his Boise shenannigans, thanks to guys like these. And I say that with more than a touch of awe :oand envy.

For example: Pete blew up a dead cow at the DZ one new year's eve. But what led up to that? I'm sure it wasn't meticulously preplanned........it just happened with some help. I think I'll send Pete an EM and ask him to set that record straight. ;)

Ahhhh - The original "flaming assholes".

Nothing like bringing your new girl friend to the DZ for the first time during a boogie to introduce all your new friends.

Three nude guys run through the building trailing toilet paper on fire.

For any of you uninitiated, try this - take a roll of toilet paper wad a little up and place in in your (deleted for liability reasons), then tear off about 15 ft. light on fire and see if you can streak the distance of the packing area before it makes you a "flaming" asshole.

Don't worry the faster you run the slower it will burn - really!

After that it was always said, "when your ready to get rid of your new girlfriend bring her to the DZ".

For example: Pete blew up a dead cow at the DZ one new year's eve. But what led up to that? I'm sure it wasn't meticulously preplanned........it just happened with some help. I think I'll send Pete an EM and ask him to set that record straight.

The scary thing is that I think the cow died of shame, before Pete blew it up. I think it wasn't in to interspecies "relationships."

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Pat Arther (the squirrel), Funny Miller, Little John McEnroe and Randy Yost. These guys set the background, created the culture (however you want to describe it) that gave us Pete Hill at his finest. I mean, Pete, being a redhead and all, never needed any help with crazy ideas, but I don't think his life and reputation in Spokane could hold a candle to his Boise shenannigans, thanks to guys like these. And I say that with more than a touch of awe :oand envy.

Ted,

I think it is safe to say that the stories that could be generated by Pete alone could both thrill and scare most "normal" people. Toss Squirrel's and the others stories into the mix and even the "slightly off" people might be astounded....

Scott C ;)
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

This is killing me - I have to chime in... been reading this thread for an hour now and have tears in my eyes. I pushed all you guys out of airplanes it seems. Living at Athol the three Beaches are 501 (AT-11) of course, 761WP and 132E. In 1978 I started flying with Taylor then got sucked into OZMO and lived in the A-Frame. Left Athol in 1991. Lee Oman (Namo) and I (Foo) flew the majority of the loads in Athol, and MANY in Spokane, from about 83. As soon as I saw Dr. Pete's name in this thread, I couldn't stand it, had to say something. I'm headed for the old albums.