Jumperintheair

Pelicanland-Ridgely MD??

No, but the (so called)Murphy Beech 18 could have been the same AC. Lenny Potts once told me that Murphy never completely paid him for the plane, so I guess it was still Lenny's. After M. Schultz wrecked it, I don't know if it was repaired or not - but it could have been, and re-sold. Can't help you here. After I quit jumping in '73, I never went back to Ridgely 'till about ten years ago in my 182. There's a bunch of us Pelicans who settled in the Annapolis(Edgewater) area: Wayne Beall, Tinker Shoemaker, Billy Gifford, John Neate, me, and Bob Holler lived here too before he died in '98. Freddy Graff lives in Acokeek.
One of the original Pelicans, John Kaleo died last year at 71. He lived in Davidsonville. Mike Schultz lives in Crofton, and Johnny and Sandy Crews live right up route 97 near Lithicum. Kevin Burke lives near Baltimore. We still get together quite often, and tell lies.

Pelican Skydivers 1975 attached. I got this one from Julie Borel.

Many members of the Pelican Skydivers were at the Pioneers of Skydiving reunion in Raeford NC.

Check out this web site http://www.skydivereunions.com/

Names man. Names!

Bill Newell's Starcrest website lists Michael Eisner - the former Disney CEO - as having earned his SCR at Pelicanland in 1976. there is a young guy in the first row of this pic who looks suspiciously like he could be a young Eisner.....anyone who was there care to check it out ?

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Bill Newell's Starcrest website lists Michael Eisner - the former Disney CEO - as having earned his SCR at Pelicanland in 1976. there is a young guy in the first row of this pic who looks suspiciously like he could be a young Eisner.....anyone who was there care to check it out ?

I flew my 182 N69BS at Pelicanland in 1976. There was a short, mousey-looking guy with big ears named Mickey who jumped then. Maybe that guy was Eisner.
Guru312

I am not DB Cooper

Ah... someone disturbed a ghost from the past... Kim Harloff. AKA "OB-1" because my Senior Parachute Technician ID was 'OBB' so everyone called me OB-1. Hey, it was the 70's.

I wish then was today, I'd produce a reality show about Southern Cross. It was such a Drama Zone as well as a Drop Zone.

Originally, I was schooled by Kabeller to be his rigger. I trained at Forsythe's rigging loft in Glen Burnie, Md.

While there' I discovered something rather peculiar. One of the piggyback rigs that I had opened had both the reserve risers cleanly cut with a razor knife. I showed it to John and that's the last I saw of it. Mysterious indeed!

Anyhoo, the first year working at Southern Cross was okay, I seemed to make fair money. That was the first year. The second year, there were problems. Complicating by declining health (I had stage-I kidney disease at the time) and the heat and humidity, compounded with having to untangle and repack 80 student chutes a weekend, was tearing me apart.

I was also having issues with my blind father and coping with his WW-II PTSD behaviors which frequently put me in a violent situation

Making matter worse, I kept getting into rifts with George over my pay which at the time was only $2 a rig. But the story get better. George also was pushing me into a Porta-John cleaning service to which I was absolutely not only humiliated with the idea, I adamantly refused to get involved in the idea. Especially when he said I would only make $ 30 a week.

I found myself barely making the rent for my room in Hagerstown over the winter and not having any money for traveling or socializing with local folk. I felt quite alone and isolated.

Came next season, I again tried to discuss a raise with George, only to get the same old story that my pay, compared to what Jumpmasters were getting, in the long run turned to be much better. I didn't see it that way and frequently reminded him that I gauge my pay by my work, not other peoples. Also, some club members were frequently telling me that I was a fool for making as little as I did and said that I should just leave. And so I did.

Did I mention the Southern Cross drama? Another problem was me having to work with Jamie Kaufman, my rigger assistant. There was something about him that disturbed me, and when I accidentally walked in on him in his barn, only to see that he just killed and skinned two blacks which I enjoyed feeding, that drew the line.

Bottom line: I just wasn't enjoying being at Southern Cross anymore.

Things I remember:

Tobey the Cat
Sitting with Mike Zazadill's Girlfriend, Sharron, in the back seat while driving to a party in Leesburg Va while the both of us killed a Qt of whiskey and a coke chaser. We became so drunk that when we arrived at the party, I was a lampshade and Sharron crashed out on a bed and someone scribed R.I.P on her forehead with ashes. I vaguely remember the ride back to the hanger where I leaped on a table and wrapped myself up in a chute in 40 degree weather which didn't seem to effect me that night.

The great food at Jim's Always

And nearly killing myself when, while riding a short lined Strato star, cranking it real low to hit the disk while knocking the wind out of me.
Also knocking the spirit out of me was the loss of my father and three grandparents all in a nine month period. Why I don't drink or use drugs is a paradox, I'm its perfect recipient.

Today, I live in NY State where I'm on SSI to cover kidney examinations (Medicaid), but I have half a thought to renew my rigger license and get back into the business a little bit. I don't jump anymore, due to hip replacement, but I sure would like to get back to turning packed rigs that are no less then perfect.

Sadly, I've learned that some of The SCPC members are now ghosts who walk amongst it inheritors.

I've read very little about Betty Kabeller, and George seems to have vanished of the planet all together.

Hey OB,

I trained at SPC in '77. I remember some of those people you mention. Jim's Always was always a treat on a Sunday morning. Mike Zazadill was my instructor/jump master on my first jump.

Jamie went on tot he Golden Knights and was one of the jumpers in the Olympic Ring formation ant the games.

Sorry you had to deal with all those issues, I have only fond memories of those days.
1st jump August 6, 1977.
Last jump July 8, 2006.

TJ went in at Z-Hills when George and Betty Kabeller ran the place. He had dumped a bit low and had a fast malfunction. Unfortunately, he played with it for too long. He finally chopped but he was too low. He went in with his reserve only part way through the deployment sequence. I wasn't there but got the details from a reliable jumper. It was a shock to all who knew him.

TJ went in at Z-Hills when George and Betty Kabeller ran the place. He had dumped a bit low and had a fast malfunction. Unfortunately, he played with it for too long. He finally chopped but he was too low. He went in with his reserve only part way through the deployment sequence. I wasn't there but got the details from a reliable jumper. It was a shock to all who knew him.

Do you know approx what year that was? I was unaware that they ran Z-Hills at any time...

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

Do you know approx what year that was? I was unaware that they ran Z-Hills at any time...

George and Betty sold the Chambersburg DZ to the AFF East group in 1984 and took the DC-3 to Z-Hills. It was a couple of years later that TJ went down there and had his accident. It was indeed a shock to all of us who knew him.
1st jump August 6, 1977.
Last jump July 8, 2006.

Don't know the exact order of who ran Pelicanland after Mike Schultz but I believe Bob Branch from Indiana had the DZ for a short time and sent Mark Schlatter (RIP) to manage it. Tom Forsythe and his wife, Patty ran the DZ for awhile and then Gordan Riner (RIP) from Delaware and his wife had Pelicanland for awhile. I think that was the correct order but I was out of the country for awhile and do not know the exact dates. I think Tom will be at the next pelican Reunion and I know Mike will be there on Sept. 15. I will make a point of asking about it. Liz Irwin (Myron's wife and a jumper) is writing a book about the Pelican Skydivers too. Myron flew the C180 and 170 that all the students in that era did their static lines from in the 70's. MacIntyre was the instructor most of the time.

Don't know the exact order of who ran Pelicanland after Mike Schultz but I believe Bob Branch from Indiana had the DZ for a short time and sent Mark Schlatter (RIP) to manage it. Tom Forsythe and his wife, Patty ran the DZ for awhile and then Gordan Riner (RIP) from Delaware and his wife had Pelicanland for awhile. I think that was the correct order but I was out of the country for awhile and do not know the exact dates. I think Tom will be at the next pelican Reunion and I know Mike will be there on Sept. 15. I will make a point of asking about it. Liz Irwin (Myron's wife and a jumper) is writing a book about the Pelican Skydivers too. Myron flew the C180 and 170 that all the students in that era did their static lines from in the 70's. MacIntyre was the instructor most of the time

Interesting side note. After skydiving was banned from Ridgely Airpark for just over 20 year. Gordon Riner's grandson, Lance, started a tandem DZ there in 2006. as of the begging of 2012, they built a brand new facility just outside of Baltimore. I talked to Lance, he still holds the lease at Ridgely and jumps there on occasion, but for the most part its abandoned, again.

... but for the most part its abandoned, again.

I visited there about two months ago. It was a terrible experience for me.

The only thing still there which reminded me of the "old days" was the cinderblock building Mike Schultz used as his tool store and shop and the tree Jim McIntyre used for training students in canopy control.

Everything else was different. Of course, it was over 35 years since I flew there so one would expect some changes. There was an ultralight operation with about 3 or 4 people hanging around waiting for a tow to altitude. There were two sets of T hangers and some other changes. The horse is gone from the East end of the runway. (I always felt so sorry for that horse every time I flew over it.)

The corn fields are gone; the runway is paved; and there is an actual parking lot.

If you are thinking of going back...don't. Remember the words of Thomas Wolfe, "You can't go home again."

My memories of Pelicanland are all wonderful. What place!! And all because of the wonderful people.
Guru312

I am not DB Cooper

I’m a fairly new jumper compared to everyone else who have posted on this thread, no pun intended.
Living just north of Baltimore I wish a DZ would open up closer then a 2 hour drive away, so I enjoy reading the rich history Maryland once had! Thank you all for posting the story of Pelicanland.

Where did the name 'Pelicanland' derive from?

Ridgely Maryland now is an evil, sleazy, rip off Tandem Factory that does business with Skyride. They have a Cessna 182 which is NOT the safest way to jump a Tandem. >:(

Their interested in money not the sport of Skydiving. I've talked to them on the phone, faking it as a non-jumper, and got high prices and bull shit. When I called as a experienced jumper they would let me jump their Cessna for $50.00.

Hope you've been jumping at Laurel Delaware. That's where the Navel Academy jumps, so you know it's a safe DZ. B|

I Jumped with the guys who invented Skydiving.

Hope you've been jumping at Laurel Delaware. That's where the Navel Academy jumps, so you know it's a safe DZ. B|

Yes, I've jumped all the DZ's within a couple hours drive: Delmarva, Cross Keys, Maytown, and Chambsburg.
Out of the area: Reaford, and Eloy.

Like I said I'm fairly new, so my list of DZ's is slowly growing.

I like learning about past DZ's in the PA, and MD area.
What about the name Pelicanland?

Ridgely Maryland now is an evil, sleazy, rip off Tandem Factory that does business with Skyride. They have a Cessna 182 which is NOT the safest way to jump a Tandem.

Their interested in money not the sport of Skydiving. I've talked to them on the phone, faking it as a non-jumper, and got high prices and bull shit. When I called as a experienced jumper they would let me jump their Cessna for $50.00.

Hope you've been jumping at Laurel Delaware. That's where the Navel Academy jumps, so you know it's a safe DZ

wow, classy. Have you ever called 800-skyride?? Do it right now and tell them you want to skydive in the Baltimore/DC area, guess what they will say??? you can jump in Warrenton VA or LAUREL DE...how's that for dealing with skyride?????? Call them right now if you don't believe me (you seem to be good at "faking" being a student...I think you know there number. ;)
I also know that your lieing as you stated that we wanted $50 for a jump out of our 182. WRONG. We DON'T ALLOW FUN JUMPERS and would never quote a old washed up jumper as yourself a $50 slot...we simply don't want a washed up, has been, internet story telling, loser fun jumper. and if we did, it could cost ya a lot than $50.
how's that for a a rip off!!!!???;)

...we simply don't want a washed up, has been, internet story telling, loser fun jumper.

After reading your totally self-defeating, vitriolic response to someone who quite obviously doesn't think too much of your operation, I am at a loss as to whether you have an operation at Ridgely. I stopped by a month or so ago and found no parachute operation at all; only an ultra-light operation.

Is *your* operation running a tandem operation at Ridgely or not?
Guru312

I am not DB Cooper