Jumperintheair

Pelicanland-Ridgely MD??

jkwskydive might have some... I think he trained there when he first started skydiving in 1983... Not sure the name of the DZ at that time was Pelicanland...

PM him if you want.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I started jumping there in 1974 at 15 years old. Ha d to have my parents drive me and buy the beer for all of my firsts. Mike Shultz was runnig it and I mostly jumped with the Naval Academy cadets that were sport jumpers (Tony Phelps ect.) My first jump couurse in January (snow on the ground) was conducted by one of the jump pilots because there were no instructors on the DZ that day. I jumped a 27 foot black and yellow Russian Paracommander. Those were great days.

I Made several jumps at Pelican-land. After Shultz there was a beaver that I had plenty of jumps from.
If I remember right I was there when they had a fancy painted dc-3 for jumping. I do remember Mike S. dressing me down for saying Id like to have mesh in my reserve steering mods. He felt there was plenty of jumps made without the mesh. Another guy ran the dz untill it closed shrouded in mystery. Does anyone remember who ran P-L after Shultz and why it closed?
" 90 right, five miles then cut."---Pukin Buzzards

I first jumped at Pelican Land in 1970. In 1975-76 I was on the Pelicans Ten Man Speed Star Team "It's About Time".

Mike Schultz successfully ran Pelican Land for almost a decade, the owners of the airport (some of whom were Skydivers) brought in Gordon Riner as manager. Later the owners closed the DZ and a great place to jump was lost.

I saw many old friends from Pelican Land at Bill Ottleys wake last May in Fredericksburg Virginia.
I Jumped with the guys who invented Skydiving.

The first boogie I ever went to was there. We arrived on Friday to discover the dz's twin beech had a blown jug and the scheduled DC-3 had not arrived. Came back Saturday morning. 350 jumpers and 2 Cessna's! The managemnt scrambled and got a piston Islander that turned loads about every 40 minutes with 12 jumpers. We drank beer all day till they called our load and when we started gearing up they told us we had had way to much beer and they wouldn't let us go. The DC-3 flew in late that night in the pouring rain which never stopped and we spent the entire weekend drinking beer never having made a jump. It was the Tax Break Boogie of '84.

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has any pic's/memories of the Pelicanland DZ in Ridgely Maryland?

You bet! I flew my Cessna 182, N69BS, there for two or three years. In addition to being a jump pilot I also did much of the 'Aircraft Exits' portion of the FJC.

Matter of fact, I got my J/M and I ratings at a Pelicanland ICC in 1971. If I recall correctly, that ICC was the first on the East Coast. I flew to the ICC from Millville, NJ with Lenny Potts in N11LP, Ed Leggett and another guy who also got certified at that ICC.

What a place! Some of my fondest memories of jumping are of Pelicanland.

The only picture I have on line is in an essay I wrote about camera mounting systems. You can see the picture here:
http://www.aicommand.com/cam_sys.htm

Pelicanland peas visible and the strip and a DC-3 beneath the jumper in red suit and red helmet.

I had dinner last night with Terry Crowe who jumped a Pelicanland and worked for Steve Snyder. Terry and I agreed that Pelicanland was our favorite DZ. [I owned three over the years but still like Pelicanland best.]

Mike, where are you? Jim MacIntyre, where are you?

What a place!!!
Guru312

I am not DB Cooper

I jumped in Downsville (next to Hagerstown), MD and Woodbine, MD in 1974 while on vacation. I dropped by Ridgely too, but did not jump there. I did however snap a photo of a load boarding there.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/gallery/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=Personal_Galleries/RogerRamjet/Blast_from_the_Past&image=Ridgely2.jpg&img=&tt=

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

Mike, where are you? Jim MacIntyre, where are you?

What a place!!!

Mike Schultz can be found on the Staff in Laurel Delaware doing Tandems and enjoying life. I saw Mike and Moraine at the Bill Ottley Wake. Haven't heard a word about Jim MacIntyre.

I'm told members of the Pelican Skydivers that live on the eastern shore still get together.
I Jumped with the guys who invented Skydiving.

I too jumped at Downsville , Woodbine , and Pelicanland in the 70-80s The photo of the beaver at Ridgely was cool;thanks Roger, A further trip down memory lane by way of my logbook tells me that after Mike Shultz, Tom Forsythe ran Pelicanland till its mysterious close. I made my 100th jump from that beaver by making a pumpkin-drop (Oct 79). I still smile thinking of that. Ray Mcully , Bruce Rogers , R. Kline Kim Harloff and George Kabeller were also in the logbook at the time (there were others).

I too jumped at Downsville , Woodbine , and Pelicanland in the 70-80s The photo of the beaver at Ridgely was cool;thanks Roger, A further trip down memory lane by way of my logbook tells me that after Mike Shultz, Tom Forsythe ran Pelicanland till its mysterious close. I made my 100th jump from that beaver by making a pumpkin-drop (Oct 79). I still smile thinking of that. Ray Mcully , Bruce Rogers , R. Kline Kim Harloff and George Kabeller were also in the logbook at the time (there were others).

Hmmm, I don't recognize your name, but that means nothing after 30 years. Maybe we crossed paths at one of those places. I put students out at Downsville to finance my jumps and I was in the first Woodbine 8 man star while I was there.

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

Rog
My first jump was 5/18/75 from c-172 , Asa Allen as JM. T-10 and 28' chest. My younger brother Jeff and Lee Burchette filled the load. Ill continue to look for you in my old logs....................J........................

I jumped there '72-'73 and have some pics from then. Trained by Jim McIntire...era of Billy Gifford, Francis McCauley, Johnny Crews, Bob Holt, Dennis Young, Myron Irwin, Liz Lurie, Phil Caputo, Joe Baker, Dave Gallagher, Deke Ahle, and of course Mike Schultz. Used to eat at the Blue Top Cafe and stay overnight with the little old ladies.

I jumped there '72-'73 and have some pics from then. Trained by Jim McIntire...era of Billy Gifford, Francis McCauley, Johnny Crews, Bob Holt, Dennis Young, Myron Irwin, Liz Lurie, Phil Caputo, Joe Baker, Dave Gallagher, Deke Ahle, and of course Mike Schultz.

There are a bunch of names I haven't seen in a bunch of years. Only jumped at Pelican Land once, at a Team Accuracy Meet Thanksgiving weekend 1970, I think. They had an oyster roast Sat. nite but the sheet metal was so hot that it turned the oysters into cinders in a shell. It was a good time anyway, there was lots of beer.

Bob

GUNFIRE, The sound of Freedom!

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has any pic's/memories of the Pelicanland DZ in Ridgely Maryland?

Ask and you shall receive (eventually):P.

These are from an article by Bill Ottley in the October, 1967, issue of Freefall, a short-lived publication from North American Aerodynamics.

If you want names to go with the faces in the group picture, I have them.

HW