efs4ever

Seagoville DZ

Made my first jump at Seagoville many, many years ago.

While riding my motorcycle a couple of months ago, I stopped by the old Seagoville DZ and except for the lack of any kind of aviation/skydiving activity and the total lack of humanity, nothing at all has changed. It's like a scene out of the Twilight Zone with all the same old junk cars, the same garbage dump, the same pile of scrap lumber we used to call a manifest shack and the same old piles of dogshit still where they were when it all closed down 15 years ago. What a wonderful place to skydive.[:/]:D

Edited to add:

The water was even more hazardous for skydiving during duck hunting season.:o
The older I get the less I care who I piss off.

Where is Seagonville?

Seagoville is Southeast of Dallas off of Hwy 175.

It was an active C182 DZ for decades until George, the owner, died.

I put a couple of lawyers out on square canopy static lines the weekend before I went off to law school in 1985. It's my belief that those two were the very first FJC SL on square parachutes in Texas. B|

One of them, Bubba, became an active jumper.

The water was not there when it was open.
Russell M. Webb D 7014
Attorney at Law
713 385 5676
https://www.tdcparole.com

In the bottom left corner it looks like there's a water ski course. The since theres no development around the water front property at the end of the runway and it's divided into cells It might be a sewage treatment facility, or fish hatchery?

Could be a Shitty place to swoop:o

R.I.P.

Where is Seagonville?

I put a couple of lawyers out on square canopy static lines the weekend before I went off to law school in 1985. It's my belief that those two were the very first FJC SL on square parachutes in Texas. B|

One of them, Bubba, became an active jumper.

The water was not there when it was open.

Mr. Webb and Mr. Felts, how the hell are ya'll?
Russell, thanks for posting that pic, I haven't seen Seagoville since probably 1986. God I loved those days!
You remember Matt MacMantis(sp?)? Stan & I were always helping him get his shit out of that pond at the end of the runway, thats when he picked up the nickname Snakepit! As you probably know he went on to become a Golden Knight and became an Accuracy Champion. Would love to see him and remind him of his nickname.
Thanks for the trip down memory lane.
Oh and Russell not to rain on your story, but I just posted this week about my first jump on 12-12-1984 with a Static lined Square. I know that Bob Chaffin and Jerry had been putting out students for a while before they put me out.

I wonder how long Max lived for? Man, could he slobber?

If ya'll remember these two Dennis Dorris is back in Texas, him and "Condo" Richard Whitehill are cruzn on their Harley's these days.

Hope you guys are doing well.

www.skyfestboogie.com

If ya'll remember these two Dennis Dorris is back in Texas, him and "Condo" Richard Whitehill are cruzn on their Harley's these days.

Ha, Dennis Dorris put me out on my second static line jump!

Ever hear the story of him puking while filming a tandem, in freefall?
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Ha, Dennis Dorris put me out on my second static line jump!

Ever hear the story of him puking while filming a tandem, in freefall?

No would love to sometime.
When & where did you start.

Hey I thought RSL's were required till A lic??

Dennis the menace is indeed back...saw him yesterday. He was one of my SL JMs along with Dave, we were on the same first load actually.

Dennis, Wayne, Fuller, and Doc pretty much make up the wealth of stories that from when we started. It was these stories that were part of mystery of the sport when we started. I still love the nostalgia and the 'good ole days' more than most things about the sport.

Anyway, as for the particular jump in question...one of many stories about Dennis...there had been a particularly 'enjoyable' night before the said tandem. Not that this was really out of the ordinary for Dennis and crew. Anyway, they get out to make the tandem, I think Wayne was TM, not sure. IN the video you see Dennis start to film the tandem, then he rolls over on his back, and you see a stream of puke ascending into the blue yonder. Then he rolls back over and shoots the tandem.

That is the story as I know it, althought it might have better enhancements if told by someone who was there.
--
All the flaming and trolls of wreck dot with a pretty GUI.

Dennis is a fun one that is for sure. He used to babysit us manhy years ago. He always got us in trouble when my parents returned. (hey I have to blame someone, right).
I left Seagoville around 84 and moved to Houston, my sister continued to jump there for a while, in fact she met her now 15 year husband, Bob Tomany.

I enjoy the hell out of the old stuff to.
What memories

Blus skies
J

I am thinking maybe the first time I ever met you was at a Memorial Boogie at the old Ennis dz, probably about late winter/early spring 00/01 after Jerry passed. Had big dinner, even old ?Slovak? was present.

I think Dennis was there along with all the old Ennis regulars.

Edit: Speak of the devil....Dennis just walked into my office, told him you said hi.
--
All the flaming and trolls of wreck dot with a pretty GUI.

Dennis was on my first four way and it was at Seagoville in about 1978. Oddly enough, I was his tandem examiner and got him his Strong rating back in 1991 or so. Goddammit Dennis, you still haven't sent me copies of your logbook entries proving that you were qualified for the rating. :D:D:D:D

a lot of good memories from that dz. and the folks i jumped with there. thanks for the reminder russ

Let's see, Mike, you have some too. Remember packing all of those Dash one Bravos?

Remember putting Rick Duran out on his first jump? (The dude is a multi world record holder now)

I only got to teach him the course. >:(

What about picking rounds off of poles?

Or all that other stuff we did that is so politically incorrect now. :)

BTW, Mike, I'll be in AZ next week, but probably at coolidge where my tandem friend can jump. I'd like to go to Eloy, but I haven't determined whether they will let her jump tandem with me.

Attached are some more "memories" from Dallas
Russell M. Webb D 7014
Attorney at Law
713 385 5676

OMG Russ, you surely are the man!!!!! What wonderful pics.

1. McGowan with not so gray hair.

2. McGowan riding pole.:D

3. Seagoville with airplanes :o

4. Decatur, still looks exactly the same today except no pea gravel pit.

5. Clockwise from left: Usetajump (with not so gray hair), Jim McClain, Gary Traylor and Bobby ????.

Edited to add: The has always been there because of the gravel mining operations around the area

Wow...that's pretty cool seeing the old packing area and manifest. We did night jumps there in, maybe '84. I remember we wound take off from Seagoville and fly to Fourney and jump into their DZ. If I remember right, we did a plane to plane moon job on them one afternoon, but those times are a little fuzzy and I could be making it up! Russell, am I making shit up, or does that sound familiar?

My second jump was made there over 27 years ago.

We should, at least, do a bandit jump in there some day. ........

Cars waiting to whisk us away, etc....

Yeah, Jon, I'm still jumping :S

Call me sometime 713 CALL WEBb
Russell M. Webb D 7014
Attorney at Law
713 385 5676

My second jump was made there over 27 years ago.

We should, at least, do a bandit jump in there some day. ........

Cars waiting to whisk us away, etc....

Im in!! You know I actually never got to jump there so that would be my first, that would be awesome!!

Remember when Howard Hughes and who else was it that jumped into the State prison with their black and white striped jumpsuits?

Didnt they have a hard time getting out? I was just a kid so you probablu know more.
fun days

"We should, at least, do a bandit jump in there some day. ........

Cars waiting to whisk us away, etc..."

...or...we could just jump directly into the police station parking lot and save them from having to chase after us:D. After all, we will have our "legal representaton" right there with us;)

I heard about the DZ and have visited it at least a couple of times when I was bored and needed to get a shot of adrenaline by driving out from Garland and just watching what was going on. Best memory I had was checking the DZ out in 1986 and remembering the whole place as just a rundown airport that was good enough to be used as a DZ. I remember meeting a lady jumper named Marilyn who had a tragic accident a few years later and wound up in bad shape.

Have to ask since I am still a newbie here. Anyone come very close to burning in at the DZ? I do remember a plane crash that took a couple of lives back in 1986 or 1987.

Sidenote: Before having the courage to finally do a tandem jump, I had visited that CZ as well as the one near Lake Lavon (small DZ), near McKinney (Aero Country Airport where there was a small DZ and got my first and only observation ride back in 1984.....what a thrill just to go up with only a round main chute on my back and no reserve chute....wondered if I had to use it in an emergency!!!), and one other DZ in Gainesville before they closed that down (I remember being stuck up there for a few hours while a bad thunderstorm came thru the area and did visit with a couple of people there and shot the breeze with them).

See ya!
Scott
:)
Gig em, Garland Owls!