HiettEarp

The Comet.

Anybody ever owned or jumped a Comet? A 228sq. ft. 7 cell made in the early or mid 80s.
Nothing good has come from anything named Comet. The Jetliners crashed, the car was junk, and the Canopy, at least mine was scary.
This pic was not all low turn, a turn I pulled off at the DZ many times, but this particular time the canopy really took a bad dive and never recovered. I finally recovered from a broken femur.:S

Hi-ett,
Made a couple dozen jumps on a 228 comet back in '83. Nice canopy for a 7-cell. Sounds funny that your chute was such a dud! Did you call Bill Gargano and see if he would do something about it?? Did you have one of Bill's canopys or one from Chuck Embry?? Willy handed off the Comet line to Chuck when he developed the Hobbit, Spirit and Wizard series. I had one of Willy's Wizards and it was a great canopy!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

I have an X228 sitting on my floor right now, I'm thinking about giving it a go just cos I'm curious.
Problem is it doesn't have a slider. Do you reckon I could use it with a ZP slider?
Also, it's got a few big holes in the top skin, with broken masking tape around them. I was going to use some gaffer tape to patch them up but now that I've been reading up on it here it feels like I could be defacing a collector's item. :|
Any advice?

I have an X228 sitting on my floor right now, I'm thinking about giving it a go just cos I'm curious.
Problem is it doesn't have a slider. Do you reckon I could use it with a ZP slider?
Also, it's got a few big holes in the top skin, with broken masking tape around them. I was going to use some gaffer tape to patch them up but now that I've been reading up on it here it feels like I could be defacing a collector's item. :|
Any advice?

Get a real rigger to sew on some real (F-111 fabric) patches before you jump it again.
Sticky tape patches fell out of fashion a long time ago.

I had a Comet 300. GREAT canopyB|B|B|B|

Never jumped a Comet, but I do remember them when they started showing up around Perris in 1980. Lots of people bought them and really liked them. The thing that surprised me was just how populat the 300 ft Comet was. Especially nowadays, when so many people have downsize mania. Back then the Comet 300 was extremely popular with a lot of the "hip" crowd.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

I had a Comet 228. Loved it. I got my BASE # with that canopy. I jumped a couple Hobitts, too, even had one as a reserve in a Handbury rig. Bill Gargano TSO'd a system to pack it in a 2-riser 2-pin reserve container using a diaper, and Skybill used to pack it for me. (Tacos 'n Hobbitts, haha.) Had another one of Bill's canopies, a Lumen, made some base jumps on that one too.

Any chance of resurrecting the Nasgull? :P

Hi Tom,

they started showing up around Perris in 1980

Sometime before that I visited with Chuck Embury (RIP) at Elsinore as he was one of the 3-4 guys behind the Comet.

At first they could not sell them due to some patent problems but they eventually got that worked out.

He told me that they were an almost direct copy of Security's Unit but with 4 lines per rib instead of 3.

JerryBaumchen

PS) I seem to remember Chuck marketing an 'Elsinore Rig' that had a Handbury H/C, a Pioneer 26 ft Lo-Po & and a Comet Main.

I did put more than 700 jumps on my Comet 228 that i still keep in a box in my basement. It was my first canopy and i did everything with it!! It was a great all round canopy but i agree that the openings were increasingly specials with the years..!!:P:P

I jump, I live, I love. Ourson #1 Ordre des Ours Polaires Volants

. . . the car was junk, . . .

What's the gripe on the older Comets? I owned 4 early to mid-60's Comets. Awesome cars - cheap to buy, incredibly easy to work on, good mileage (all had either the 144 or 200 straight 6), and real metal that did not dent when leaned on. Solid cars; way, way better than today's lower priced pieces of junk.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Wow, am I glad you posted this. I flew a big green one and for the past 30 years I though it was a 5 cell.

I don't remember any bad flying characteristics but I was pretty conservative anyway when it came to close to the ground stuff.

It was actually owned by Jim Stoyas who died with it on an attempted canopy transfer in July 1982. I flew it a few times after that and as I recall it was considered by others as being a bit sluggish.
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

I had a Comet 228. Loved it. I got my BASE # with that canopy. I jumped a couple Hobitts, too, even had one as a reserve in a Handbury rig. Bill Gargano TSO'd a system to pack it in a 2-riser 2-pin reserve container using a diaper, and Skybill used to pack it for me. (Tacos 'n Hobbitts, haha.) Had another one of Bill's canopies, a Lumen, made some base jumps on that one too.

Any chance of resurrecting the Nasgull? :P

Hi Matt!!!!,
How well I remember Tuesday night "Tacos and Hobbits!!" Your mom's Taco Tuesdays were great! Not many people remember Willie's TSO'ed Diaper on the hobbit. You could use the diaper or stow it in a freebag if you wanted. I believe Willy was one of the first people to use a semisemetrical airfoil instead of the typical flatbottom that other ramairs had.
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

What went wrong on the canopy transfer?

The reserve went right up into the main and tangled up and deflated whatever main he had.

He always preached cutaway and I guess he just got scared and pulled the reserve.

This was his first malfunction and he had 4,500 jumps which in the early 80's was quite a lot.
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime