2 2
puddy

Galveston Skydivers

Hi Pat--I can't answer your question about the origin of the Galveston Skydiver's patch, but I'll give Jack Joerns a call for some info. Last I heard (years ago) Joe Stone was selling metal buildings in OK.
I've got one of those old patches sewn on my gear bag and am asked about it all the time. Short lined PCs!!!!!!! Oh what fond memories.--Don Stewart D-2785

Hi Don, with a little more research on the web I found the 502 PIR history web site. If you go there you can find a picture of Sgt. Constantine B. (Gus) Anagnostis and possibly his brother(?) SSgt Demetrius Anagnostis both of Co E, 2nd Battalion, 502 PIR. It also states that he received a battlefield commission to 2nd Lt. There is a picture of the original 502 PIR (Widowmaker) insignia so compare this to the Galveston Skydivers patch on your bag and I think we have our answer.

One time when I was visiting Doc at his home in Hitchcock, after Stevie had died, his lady friend Edith, brought out a set of military jump wings she had had custom made as a birthday present for him. They were sterling silver and had two diamonds in place of the bronze stars normally used to represent combat jumps, very nice. At that time Doc told me he had made the D-Day jump at Normandy, the Operation Market-Garden jump at Eindhoven in Holland, and fought in the Battle of the Bulge at Bastogne in Belgium. Doc Anagnostis was, without a doubt, one of the “Band of Brothers”, a genuine American hero. I consider myself honored to have known him.

If anyone is interested, here is the link:

http://www.ww2-airborne.us/units/502/502.html

Good to hear from you Don and take care -- Pat

Talk about wild parties on Saturday night!!!!!

I didnt make any of those.......but just down the road from you we were doing sunset loads into the "Branding Iron"B|......setting off expired JATO's from Jess' twin beech:S and taking turns at the Browning machine gun shooting the empty tequila bottles on the runway:S:$........but compared to some of the goings on at Valley Mills(cattle rustling:S) and Cleveland,I guess we were pretty tame by comparison:):P

Doc,

I think I know you from somewhere...........

Marc SCR 6046 SCS 3004

In response to original post on this thread, yes I did jump at Doc's DZ in Dickinson and yes, I remember Sam's Place. My first jump there was on 08/26/72. It was #23, a DRCP on a 28' 7TU from Doc's C-180 and was signed off by some guy named Don Stewart - D2785.:o

Although I was never one of the “heavyweight” jumpers, I still have great memories of all the neat people I met and of course, all the “high energy” action! Or could it be I was 32 instead of 62 years old? Nahh!

John--Iv'e got the photo you spoke of. Edith gave it to me years ago. It looks like it was taken at the old Spaceland airport, and was signed by all of Doc's old jumping friends--Dave Boatman, Roger Pickens, Mike Bate, .. D330, Mike Smith, Laird Cogburn, Mike Turroff, J. Wilkens, Jack Joerns, Bob Cockran, Diane Stenson, Chuck Stenson, Jack A ..D-8539, Frank Wilson, Ron Mills, Lindsey Carlton, Jim Parker, John Hill and a couple of others.---Don Stewart D-2785

bob

Mark--Carl Maroon and I used to run Houston Parachute Service in La Porte, Tx. We started a student DZn in Cleveland with a C-172. Shortly there after Hall brought his DC3 in from Millican and A&M. Ever have any of those wild mushrooms from the woods in Cleveland? Don Stewart Nscr 677

John--Iv'e got the photo you spoke of. Edith gave it to me years ago. It looks like it was taken at the old Spaceland airport, and was signed by all of Doc's old jumping friends--Dave Boatman, Roger Pickens, Mike Bate, .. D330, Mike Smith, Laird Cogburn, Mike Turroff, J. Wilkens, Jack Joerns, Bob Cockran, Diane Stenson, Chuck Stenson, Jack A ..D-8539, Frank Wilson, Ron Mills, Lindsey Carlton, Jim Parker, John Hill and a couple of others.

Hi Don. Gosh, I actually know almost all of those people.

- Roger Pickens died in a CRW accident around 1995.
- Mike Bate moved to Washington state.
- Mike Smith and Janice Wilkins, married, touring the country in an RV.
- Laird Cogburn: I don't see him much, but run into him at the NASA Ballunar jumps. He may be a Spaceland regular - I don't get down there much.
- Mike Turoff: gone inactive about a year ago.
- Chuck and Diane Stenson: gave up jumping in the late 90's.
- Ron Mills: now has about 8 or 9,000 jumps.
- Lindsey Carlton: don't know what the latest word is on him.
- Jim Parker: which one? Married to "CJ", or "Pecker"?
- John Hill: departed mid 90's for the northeast to marry a sweetheart.

Yes. Fact. Gus jumped with the 502.
One of his combat jumps was over Anzione (SP?). Much of the stick landed in the sea and died. Gus landed in the middle of a German Army encampment. Impressed the hell out of him and them, too. Me three.
Pat
Pat Works nee Madden Travis Works, Jr .B1575, C1798, D1813, Star Crest Solo#1, USPA#189,

Yeah, Doc was a real piece of work. I'm sure that was the only DZ where you could get a free chiropractic adjustment after a downwind landing in the peas. He would stretch you out on that old wooden bench and start cracking bones.

Here's my Galveston Skydivers patch.

Kevin

Yeah, Doc was a real piece of work. I'm sure that was the only DZ where you could get a free chiropractic adjustment after a downwind landing in the peas. He would stretch you out on that old wooden bench and start cracking bones.

He sure would! In between sips of that greek wine that he drank, and a little crown for good measure! But, we earned those free adjustments, we were tying down the C-180, putting the door back on, picking up all the empty cans in the peas, etc., etc.
Gus was my mentor-he taught me how to adjust the spine and get sick people well. He told me to learn the book work from the college to get my license. There will never be another Doc "A". I miss the old fart, hell I'm an old fart now.

Just found this site today Doc Aangnostis is my uncle he came from alarge family 7brothers and two sisters.I only spent a small amount of time with him to my disappointment What i can say they were all strong extremely so in character mentalaly and physically .They grew up as farmers work and schoolwas all they did six days aweek.What they didnt have they improvised or did without .The stories they told as they were growing up always were inspiring .They all developed strength and endurance to meet what was expected of them by their parents along with vallues .
Now during WWII Gus and Jimmey (Demetrius)were in the same unit.Jimmy received the Purple heart and Silver Star and hewas just another Anagnostis all the same mold !

Jim--That was 36 years ago!!!!!!!!!! Man, have people changed. I tried, but can't help you with names. But the drop zone (Valley Mills) was along the south side of TX Hwy 6, west of Waco.

Edited 7/14 to correct the highway #.

Anyone ever jump W/ Doc Anognostus & his bunch @ Dickenson Tx. Sam's place 50 yds away , make 2 jumps and retreat to Sam's A/C for a couple? of beers and back to jumping and so on and so on.
Anybody know the wereabouts of Larry Morris? Clyde wallace? Lou Call? Larry Fojt? Bob Williams? Remember The late wild & crazy Carlos Wallace?
Great times! How did we survive it?

What about Hugh Lundquist? He was flying or being my JM on some of my first ten jumps.

I uploaded these some time back, but here's a refresher
Russell M. Webb D 7014
Attorney at Law
713 385 5676
https://www.tdcparole.com

Here's a couple pics from one of Doc's "Hit and Chug" contests. Took a good all around skydive/beer drinker to win one of those. I didn't know Larry Fojt then, but we work at the same company these days. It's a small world.

I just happened to make my 1,000 th during the competition (second pic), so I got a suprize pie following my beer...