tcmidge

Anyone jump Ryan Field in Tucson in 60's or 70's?

My brother, Bob Sauer, was dzo at Ryan Field. He died a couple of years ago and I would like to hear from anyone who knew him or jumped with him. Memories, stories etc. I made my first jump last year on the anniversary of his death, as a way of connecting with him during the happiest time of his life. I was only going to make one jump, but that was all it took to get me hooked! Anything you could tell me would be greatly appreciated.

Midge
We don't stop skydiving because we grow old, we grow old because we stop skydiving.

Call or email Skydive Marana. Ask for Greg Behrens or Tony Frost. They are at Avra Valley Airport (although it has some new fancy name now), and were formerly at Pinal Airpark, both of them just North of Tucson proper.

There is an old time skydiver there (I believe his name is Bobby) who has been there a long long time, and has skydived in all 50 states. Either of the owners or Bobby might be able to give you the info you're looking for.
Arrive Safely

John

Hi Midge. I was at Bob's memorial service and had visited him a few years prior. Sherry is my best girlfriend from California. I was on the jump with Sherry when she was injured 10 years ago, and took her on her last jump, a tandem in Lodi. I live in Tucson now.
I'd love to hear stories about Bob and the old days at Ryan field as well. Sherry and I saw a couple of videos that Bob had put together from those days - what a step back into history!
I worked with a now retired fire captain that had made 800 jumps back in the day - Dave Ballinoff. I doubt he's on line, but Sherry can hook you up with his phone number if you want to get his memories.

hi midge
i used to jump at ryan back in the late 60s and jumped out of bob's gull wing stenson many times. also went to he and nora's (his then wife) house for some great after jump parties. oh boy they were some of the best times i can almost remember;)

they where some great times and some very great memories

peace

mike