Tink1717

'Mingo Porter

Just out of curiosity, is the 'Mingo Porter still flying? If so, where?
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

I know, that's why I asked. I was wondering where it was based these days. Planes with personality, like the 'mingo, the franken otter, the pink skyvan and others are cool.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

Back in the early '90s didn't go to Europe. Then I think it crashed at some point, but I was told they were going to rebuild it. I haven't heard of anything about it since then. Was the nicest Porter I ever jumped when it was based here in Deland.
blue skies,

art

I thought that there were something like 6 porters painted up like that for that movie. I know that one of them crashed in Texas a few years ago at Austin Skydiving Center in Lexington (on the fary flight to the DZ, no less).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

here are the records on the "mingo"

S/N: 564 Built: 1964 TSN:

Registration Type Operator / Owner From To Remarks
N187H PC-6/B-H2 Fairchild Hiller Corp. 1964-05 1964-06 prototype PC-6/B-H2, ff 2.5.64

N187H PC-6/B-H2 Data Corp. 1964-06-13 197x ops on floats

N187H PC-6/B-H2 Mead Technology Labs Inc. 197x 1978-12 + cvt to B2-H2

N777XX PC-6/B2-H2 TAG Aviation Ltd 1986-08 1986-10

N17XX PC-6/B2-H2 Aviation Methods 1986-10 1989-02-24 Para, based Deland/FL

F-GIXX PC-6/B2-H2 SARL Turbo Mingo Org. 1989-05-02 Current Para, named "Turbo Mingo" located: France

jumpervali

here are the records on the "mingo"

From Markus Herzig's Pilatus Porter History page.

See attached interesting photo of Bruno Gouvy exiting the Turbo Mingo over Chambrey, I believe, wearing a weighted nosecone on his way to a top maximum speed of 335 mph!

I love Porters with that kind of huge step (I like to call it a porch) - way down from the door. They are so easy to launch from at the low speed of a porter.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Just out of curiosity, is the 'Mingo Porter still flying? If so, where?

It's been a long time, but the last two jumps I made out of that plane were bomb bay door exits when it was based at Gold Coast Skydivers in Moss Point, MS. Those were two of the most fun jumps I've ever had before or since. Every jumper's squatting in the door one by one, each on their own jump run, hamming it up for the videographer who's sitting up front next to the pilot, and you didn't know when the pilot was gonna dump you! The most hilarious video I have were from those jumps. It was the same plane used in the movie "Drop Zone", as far as I know.

Not long afterwards, I heard it had crash-landed in Texas, hitting a hole in the grass and wrecking the landing gear. I'm sure they fixed it up and it's flying somewhere.

Blue Skies
Billy
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I love Porters with that kind of huge step (I like to call it a porch) - way down from the door. They are so easy to launch from at the low speed of a porter.

any other step available ??
I only jumped porters with that kind of step.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

any other step available ??
I only jumped porters with that kind of step.

Yes, there was one at Xenia for a little while (multi-color balloon paint scheme). It had a very small step that was not as far down from the door edge.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

AFAIK now the Porters in France don't have steps anymore [:/]

But we still have them in Switzerland :)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM