peregrinerose

Phila Weatherman fatality?

you are talking about Jim o'Brien. he had a canopy collision with another jumper at something like 4 or 500 feet. o'briens canopy was still inflated but after a short exchange of words ,he cutaway at about 200 feet.delayed a short period then pulled his square reserve at about 100 feet.the date was sept. 23 1983 at the old united parachute club in new hanover pa.

I already tried that, he didn't buy it ;) He's lived in Philly all his life, and I lived there for 4 years, but it was after this occurred. I hadn't heard of it.

He insisted it was one of those 'my parachute didn't open' events, and doesn't believe me that a lot of incidents are human error. Something that I'm always going to do my best to minimize the risk of as much as possible.

Just from an education stance, so I can learn from it, why did he cut away if his main was still inflated? I'm assuming the other jumper was ok?

Jen

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

Hi Jen,
Jim hit the nail on the head, sounds like this guy is a major control freak! Best way to deal with him is a lot of distance, about 12,500 feet straight up is just about right!!:ph34r::D

It's hard to tell post mortum why he (the dude that cutaway low) made the decision he did? He "may" have thought he was higher than he was but he ain't talkin'.

People like your friend who have such a negative attitude twords skydiving are usually just trying to affirm their own FEAR!! Cool, it's "their" fear, they have to deal with it. This guy is not the first negative person who will confront you in this sport and he sure as hell wont be the last. They are everywhere!

Have fun on your next Skydive!

"Laissez Le Bon Temps Rouler!!"
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

dont know. definitely a case of loss of altitude awareness..doug selix was quoted afterwards as saying " i thought i was gonna die."after obrien cutaway, selix's main reinflated. ironically, both could have landed under the one canopy although, someone may have busted some bones,but far prefferable to dying,dont ya think? he was quite an agressive person tho as i recall.interestingly enough, shortly after this para flite ran some zero airspeed deployment tests from a hot air balloon and discovered that a square reserve "could " have opened in as little as 125 feet.

I just stumbled across this trivia today.
James Franklin Oldham used the name "Jim O'Brien" professionally.
He had a daughter named Peri Kay Oldham.
After her parents divorced, her mother married Allen W Gilpin Jr, and she took her step-fathers name, becoming "Peri Gilpin". This was the name she used as an actress when she played "Roz Doyle" on "Frasier".

Here is the news report of his accident and death: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lp5pbcKc7A
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.