RogerRamjet

Where are they now?

Alive, dead, missing, out of the sport, still jumping? I jumped with these people in the mid '70s (mostly in FL, but also in IL) and would like to know if anyone knows "where they are now?"

1) Steve Fugleburg (FL - Z-Hills)
2) Barb Haag (IL - Aurora)
3) Bobby Gray (FL - Miami/Deland)
4) Helen Frasier (FL - Z-Hills)
5) Mike Cerasoli (FL - Miami/Deland)
6) Fast Harry (FL - Z-Hills)
7) Bill Sweeney (FL, Pilot?)
8) Ed Moore (FL - Z-Hills, moved to TX)
9) Charlie Moore (FL - Z-Hills, moved to TX)
10) Mike Barber (FL - Miami/Deland)
11) Carl Daugherty (FL - Deland)

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

Alive, dead, missing, out of the sport, still jumping? I jumped with these people in the mid '70s (mostly in FL, but also in IL) and would like to know if anyone knows "where they are now?"

Charlie Moore was still jumping in Texas as of 1999, and Carl Daugherty was on the 300-way in 2002. Unfortunately also in 2002, Mike Barber drowned after landing in the ocean while filming a scene for the Bruce Willis movie "Tears of the Sun."

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Charlie Moore was still jumping in Texas as of 1999, and Carl Daugherty was on the 300-way in 2002. Unfortunately also in 2002, Mike Barber drowned after landing in the ocean while filming a scene for the Bruce Willis movie "Tears of the Sun."

Blues,
Dave

Do you happen to have any contact information on either? Is Carl still jumping at Deland?

I read the thread on the Mike Barber incident, but the age (39) seemed way to young to be the same guy. I think Mike "barberpole" Barber was younger than me, but maybe 2 to 5 years, I'm 51 now...

Thanks for the reply!

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark

3. Bobby Gray was around in the last few years but I don't remember who told me so.

5. Silly is around but you have to go golfing to find him.

6. Chrome Dome, Fast Harry. Last time I saw him was in Deland in 76. Lost him after that. Moe Villetto might know.

10. Beanpole ain't dead. He showed up at a south Florida invitational wknd to see old friends this year. Val Thal says he's doing fine.

11. DogEater is as bad as ever in Deland.

How about Barb Challat? Last I saw her she was a Capt for People Express airlines 1984ish.

Suzie Luger? Where's she?

Brian Jeffries?

Darrel Berger?

Matt whazizface? with Slots?

Is Al Brown still in Florida smashing bags for Delta?

And where did that slug Jon Stark go? fekkin' geezer

3. Bobby Gray was around in the last few years but I don't remember who told me so.

5. Silly is around but you have to go golfing to find him.

6. Chrome Dome, Fast Harry. Last time I saw him was in Deland in 76. Lost him after that. Moe Villetto might know.

10. Beanpole ain't dead. He showed up at a south Florida invitational wknd to see old friends this year. Val Thal says he's doing fine.

11. DogEater is as bad as ever in Deland.

How about Barb Challat? Last I saw her she was a Capt for People Express airlines 1984ish.

Suzie Luger? Where's she?

Brian Jeffries?

Darrel Berger?

Matt whazizface? with Slots?

Is Al Brown still in Florida smashing bags for Delta?

And where did that slug Jon Stark go? fekkin' geezer

3. Good, like to see him again sometime.
5. Amazing, he was "old" when I was jumping with him.
6. Chrome Dome? Fast Harry always had very long (to the small of his back) hair when I knew him.
10. Beanpole, right. That's a relief, I knew the age was wrong on the other guy.
11. Why change? BTW, he wasn't all that clean cut in the mid 70's, the phone company must have come later...

Barb Challat, don't know if I ever met her, but may have.

Suzie Luger, wasn't she Silly's girlfriend for a long time? Pretty blond girl as I remember.

Brian Jeffries? Doesn't ring a bell.

Darrel Berger? Doesn't ring a bell.

Matt whazizface? with Slots? Hmmm, sounds familier.

Is Al Brown still in Florida smashing bags for Delta? I knew a Brown jumper, but I don't think it was Al. He was a scuba diver as well.

What about you, you've been around long enough that I may have met you. I was the rigger at Z-Hills in 1973-early 74 before going to work for Bill Booth. Worked for him about a year building the first 100+ Wonderhogs, then went with Bill Buchman to IL for the summer to build his rigs. Returned and continued to jump at Z-Hills, Deland, and the Sod Farm (off 301 in Tampa).

Gee, I hope I didn't know you real well :o

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark

Chrome Dome, Faast Harry

When I met him outside of Pittsburgh -74ish- he had a chrome motorcycle helmet and the nick name to go with it...

I used to have a rural DZ outside of Savannah, GA called Skydive City of all the crazy names. Ran it with Robert Kempf from 76 to 80. We would take our students to Deland for their "buck-off boogie" every month. Religiously attended the Z-Hills meets too. Moved to Fla in 81 and was a regular in Deland till 86 when I fell off the face of the earth and went international with the job delivering Gulfstreams.

We might recognize each other but the 70s were a blurr.

Had a red and yellow Buchman "Eagle" that I liked quite a bit. Was built for a much taller jumper but it fit me well enough to use it. Did you start with Bill in Miami? I still have Wonderhog s/n 1200sumpin. Built for a Strato-Flyer and strong LoPo.

jon

Chrome Dome, Faast Harry

When I met him outside of Pittsburgh -74ish- he had a chrome motorcycle helmet and the nick name to go with it...

I used to have a rural DZ outside of Savannah, GA called Skydive City of all the crazy names. Ran it with Robert Kempf from 76 to 80. We would take our students to Deland for their "buck-off boogie" every month. Religiously attended the Z-Hills meets too. Moved to Fla in 81 and was a regular in Deland till 86 when I fell off the face of the earth and went international with the job delivering Gulfstreams.

We might recognize each other but the 70s were a blurr.

Had a red and yellow Buchman "Eagle" that I liked quite a bit. Was built for a much taller jumper but it fit me well enough to use it. Did you start with Bill in Miami? I still have Wonderhog s/n 1200sumpin. Built for a Strato-Flyer and strong LoPo.

jon

Hmmm, don't remember the helmet, but I do remember he drove a yellow 240Z (I think they were still Datson at the time).

Yes, I was Bill's first employee and started in Miami at Pam Tayon's house. Bill rented one room, I rented another, and the garage (converted to a shop) was were the Wonderhog was launched. The s/n you have is way after I left.

Buchman Eagle, I may have built that rig, who knows :)
As you say, the 70's are kind of a blur... any pictures of you from that era around? I'll have to look and see what I have, most are skydiving pictures and it's hard to make out what the face might look like without the 120 mph breeze. I did have a rather bright yellow Clawson jumpsuite (see avitar) though...

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark

Over 11,000 views and no more hits on where these people are, this is going to be tougher that I thought. Not too many people left in the sport from the mid 70's....

I highly appreciate the leads given so far, I may try and drop by Deland this weekend to see if I luck out and run into Carl, Bobby, Silly, or Beanpole...

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark

Found Steve Fugleberg, or rather Mike Branch found him for me. He has been living in Tampa all along, just not jumping due to family building. If anyone wants to contact him (or Mike Branch), pm me.

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark

How about...

Mack "Smack" McCullom... I remember him riding the slider of a home made 5 cell which he had climbed on top of and cut away but the slider went past the connector links and stopped on the steering guides causing the canopy to hammer him in hard at a Turkey Meet.

Rick "Riki Tiki" Rundell... One of the very first people I saw doing crew.

Scotty Parker... Little blond guy from Miami voted most likely to die after crawling into the center cell of another canopy while in flight.

Alex Perez... Miami EMT and all round good guy.

I'll think of more when the fog lifts.

jon