1 1
Aile

Help for the identification of a plane

There is a similiar photo in circulation of another aircraft with jumpers hanging all over it and one guy is holding up a beer. (Taken in the 70's.) I thought this might be it since one guy has his hand up in a similiar fashion.

The guy holding the beer is Hod (Gary) Sanders. There may be some other Mirror Image jumpers on that load. I'd love to see that photo (if anyone has it). I've never seen it myself, but I've heard stories about it....Steve1

The A model was by far the most common. Cant remember the numbers off the top of my head but only something like 6 E models were made. Basically the same, but the E had bigger engines and associated changes to the engine mounts and landing gear. I think there is currently one existing E model, being restored in NJ, and an A model that was converted to an E for a round the world flight a few years ago. There are a few A models still flying...maybe about 5 of them or so. The one I worked on is being restored to museum condition...it'll never fly again.

Dave

Really, only 6 E models? That means at least two were used for skydiving as we had one for several years at Z-Hills (at least 73-78 that I know of). According to Jeff Searles who owned the dropzone when I started jumping there, the 10E we had was the next serial number from Amelia's though I would certainly have never been able to check up on such a claim. The earlier poster saying the one in the photo was 4 numbers away would tend to support the low production numbers if the Z-Hills plane was indeed the next number....

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

Update on the Lockheed 10 E Electra, c/n 1042, seen in the photo of the original post on this thread. This 10E, currently the only one in existence, was completely restored by Grace McGuire. Her original intentions were to attempt to complete Amelia Earhart’s round-the-world flight, but health issues (Lyme Disease) prevented her from bringing her desire to reality. As of today, August 18, 2016, the 10E is actually being shipped from El Cajon CA to Atchison, KS to be part of a new updated museum that is being built for Amelia Earhart (Atchison is her birthplace). Once the new museum is built, the 10E is expected to be one of the feature displays. This 10E was used as jump ship back in the 1970’s with bases in Zephyrhills FL, Barnwell SC and Raeford NC. It was also featured on the cover and inside of Andy Keech’s Skies Call II. For those with accounts on Facebook, her journey can be followed here:

https://www.facebook.com/murielsjourney/?fref=ts

Also, in response to some of the other posts in this thread; the 10E was certainly larger that a typical Beech 18. At Raeford, we were occasionally jumping 16-ways out of it, and if memory serves me right, there were times where we had close to 20 jumpers on board.
Gary David Holbrook on Facebook/YouTube, D-5857, SCS 3657, NSCR 1219, Former S/L Instructor, Former Wizards 4-way RW, Former SE Conference Judge

gary0302

Hello Aile,
My name is Gary Holbrook, and I can give you information on the plane in the photo. It is most certainly a Lockheed 10E, and the photo was taken out at Raeford, NC during August of 1978. The photo was taken by Andy Keech, by attaching an Olympus camera to a boom in front of the nose of the airplane (the boom was airbrushed out of the photo). I had broken my wrist a week or so before this photo was taken, so I was not fortunate enough to be in some of his first 10E photographs. This plane is also on the inside front cover of Skies Call 2, and and also used for photos 42-48. I was fortunate enough to be in a few photos that were taken during the following weekends (you can see the cast on my right hand on photo 44). At the time the plane was owned by both Bobby Frierson and Gene Paul Thacker, if my memory serves me correctly. A few of the names in the cover photo: Phill Rogge, Mike Griggs, Mike Morasuke, Matt O'Gwynn, Ed Christy, Dave Mangis, Bill Mathews, and Pat Van Bibber. Please contact me at [email protected] if you have any other questions.

Gary David Holbrook on Facebook/YouTube, D-5857, SCS 3657, NSCR 1219, Former S/L Instructor, Former Wizards 4-way RW, Former SE Conference Judge

As some of you may already know, this Lockheed 10E Electra is now in Atchison KS (Amelia Earhart's birthplace). The Atchison Amelia Earhart Foundation has plans to build a 1930's style hangar/museum to be part of the terminal at the Atchison airport. The 10E, now known as Muriel, will be on display to the public on Saturday, July 15, 2017:

https://atchisonameliaearhartfoundation.org/2017/06/13/muriel-viewing-festival-weekend/