fallfast69

Piglet

My first canopy, a solid black 21' (do I remember that right, 21'...seems hard to believe) piglet, in a Strong Eagle container with a "frap wrap" release system and a 24' conical. Seems to me I remember a "big man" piglet that was 24' or 26'.

I believe I bought the rig, in excellent condition, for about $400. Did I get that rig from you, Russell? Anyway...I stood up that canopy every jump I can remember, even at a DZ with a field elevation of 5000 ft in Colorado. What a great parachute...

Just spot for the proverbial "freshly plowed field"! I've still got that Piglet if one of the kids wanna try it.:o

Jon

You are right, it was a 21', inflated diameter about 17.5', and the Big Man was 24'. It wasn't a "frap rap" but a diaper that was used to pack both canopies. I have several hundred jumps on both and when packed with a Piglet R-1 reserve you had a rig that weighed about 18 pounds.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I believe I bought the rig, in excellent condition, for about $400. Did I get that rig from you, Russell? Anyway...I stood up that canopy every jump I can remember, even at a DZ with a field elevation of 5000 ft in Colorado. What a great parachute...

Uh, yes, and what a steal it was. I do remember you opening the container one time with pilot chute in hand and riding the horse shoe for a while.

Oh, yes, and I found the nekkid tower pics jon.

:o
Russell M. Webb D 7014
Attorney at Law
713 385 5676
https://www.tdcparole.com

Wow, what a picture...The horseshoe story went like this, though. Jeff Simonson you and I were doing a threeway and you guys were going to observe me doing some loops. We did a threeway round and I was getting ready to do the loops when you both looked at me like I was already dead. Yall kept motioning towards your pilot chutes. Now, I couldn't figure out just what the hell you were doing when you turned and tracked away from me, but I figure I'd better pull. As I watched the pilot chute leave, I could see about half the canopy already in the breeze! If you remember, that container had a rather loose pouch for the pilot chute located in the area where the small of your back and the container meet. There was about a 6 inch piece of fabric with velcro that attached to the pilot chute, and the other end to the pud and velcro to a part of the main lift web. After that incident, I took the rig to McElfish (our good friend Mike McGowen) and had a real ROL installed, and had the ''frap wrap" converted to 3 rings. That my story, and of course, I'm stickin to it.

I also loved how easy a Piglet II was to pack. Instead of walking up and down flaking the gores, you could just stay down at the skirt and flip, flip, flip, and you’re done. Before I cut the stabilizers off mine for BASE jumping I jumped it in an early knockoff (sorry Bill) Wonderhog in 1978 and this combination was generally known as a, “Texas Low Pull Rig.”

With a low hook turn you could even get a bit of flair out of it. Although you had to be careful as in those days hook turning a round would get you grounded . . .

Nick D :)BASE 194

Hey Jon, Jeff's rig also had that Strong frapwrap cut away system. Never thought it could possibly work until I saw him cut away from a CRW wrap at Commerce TX at about 400' and his reserved opened at about 150'. Everyone on the DZ thought he was a goner for sure. :S

Speaking of weird equipment that you wonder if it'll work, Jeff rode a BMW motorcycle, too. :D
The older I get the less I care who I piss off.

Sure, I survived the low cutaway, but it was on a newer rig. Not the black one with the wraps. I never cutaway that one.

I jumped that Piglet once too. Can't remember why I didn't like it other than it was awful slow.

I recognize Russel Webb, but who else is out there telling stories about me?
----------------------------------------
[email protected]