metalslug

Who 'deserves' an ash release dive ?

A bit of a story...
My grandmother has never done a skydive and has no association with skydiving at all, except perhaps for the simple pride that many doting grandparents have for their 'brave' grandsons and relatives that jump from aircraft.
She's still in good health and expects to live a few more years.. but has already asked me if I can disperse her ashes over the DZ when the day comes.

She turned 92 years old this year. Originaly from Germany, she has lived through two world wars and has spent the last 60+ years of her life in Kenya and South Africa. It is her wish that her ashes be scattered "...high over Africa. Anywhere in African skies will do."

When I first read about ash release dives, it was my assumption that this tradition (if it is that) was more commonly carried out for people of significance in the skydiving community; people that had held a passion for skydiving for many years and had perhaps even made some significant achievements in the sport.
Is this so ? ...or can anyone be scattered without 'tainting' a tradition ?

Of course, there are alternatives to an actual skydive. I could just release the ashes from a hot-air balloon, microlite or the door of a plane, but there may be some practical issues about ash blowing in inconvenient directions.:|

I think it's touching that she wants that, and even more touching that it's something you, uniquely in your family, can give her.

I can't imagine a reason why it wouldn't be appropriate -- not all people who have their ashes scattered in the mountains were acclaimed mountaineers, not all people who have their ashes scattered at sea are famed yachtsmen.

The only other thing is you can get her a tandem before then, too (my father made one at 85).

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

If that's what your grandmother wants, that's what your grandmother gets.

Take her up for a skydive on a beautiful day and release her.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

My Mom, born and raised in San Francisco, told me she wanted her ashes dumped from an "illegal" site thats pretty well watched being as its famous for suicides. Im doin it when the time comes. Thats what she wants, thats what she gets. I say go for it if thats what she wants and like Wendy suggested, if she's able, do a tandem.

dropdeded
------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-

I like the idea of being packaged up in matchboxes and posted off for one last jump at every DZ I've been to.

Why the hell shouldn't your gran end up at 13k... just because she's taken there by skydivers doesnt mean she has to have been one.

I second that wayne if i go do that for me over what ever pond you swoop first.......
i think it sweet that she thinks that much of you to ask you to do it she must really love you.

if my other half asked me to do that id disobay the doctor and carry out his wish.

Anyone on the planet; whether skydiver or not can show up at a dropzone and explain their loved one's wishes to have their ashes spread on a skydive.

There is not a single skydiver I know who would not be honored to fulfill that last request.

Yea, what he said.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals