1 1
tbrown

Who's Jumped a Strato Star ?

My first square is a Strato Star I bought from Marilyn Wuest's father in 1976 at Lake Elsinore. I had a hundred and ten rounds jumps then on Cheapoes, Piglets, PCs, and Paps when then you needed a hundred round jumps before you could jump a ram air. It was all red with one off set gold (yellow really) cell and I gave him $400 for it.

It was incredible. I was master of the universe, as I carved turns for the first time, and the wind speed came back to my ears . . .

Nick :)BASE 194

Stan still jumps at Elsinore.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

OMG! The Strato Flyer . . .

Ah yes, the Strato Flyer. The main reason I have 500 round jumps instead of about 150...

Why on earth would I want to jump something like that? And all the other squares were bigger than my round (which put me down softly). Squares were not always better than rounds, were they :S

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Ah yes, the Strato Flyer. The main reason I have 500 round jumps instead of about 150...

Why on earth would I want to jump something like that? And all the other squares were bigger than my round (which put me down softly). Squares were not always better than rounds, were they :S

Wendy W.

Hell, my first square, a Strato Cloud, weighed almost as much as you do. It was way bigger then my Piglet.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

It wasn't that they turned a Strato Flyer into a reserve, it was an intentional way to get lots of jumps on it before they sold it as a reserve. You guys are being way to hard on one of the single most important and productive developers of ram air technology ever. Old technology almost always seems silly when viewed several generations later. Well go ahead and invent something yourself then.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Hi Nick,
OMG!!!! The Strato FRYER!!!, The "Nylon Hammer!!" The canopy that won't go away!!

Red Beard came over one night and wanted to "Give" me a Strato Flyer! I didn't want it, but after a bunch of beers, he went home and left the Strat. at my place. I couldn't give it away!! Anyway, one night later, Matt McKillowatt came by and after some beers I got him to take the Strato Flyer!!!! Finally, it's gone!!!

Used to cringe when I'd watch Geno Johnson's Strato flyer "landings!" He'd dive at the ground then flare for all heck and pound the ground!!!!! He said the landings were fine, but why were there cracks in the hardpan where his feet hit!!!??

Tried a couple of jumps on a Paramount 160 but only in 10+mph winds. Even then the landings were dicy!!!

Too much FUN!!!! BTW remember when you had to get "checked out " to pack ram air reserves!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Hi Wendy

I also had 500 jumps on rounds, saw way to many mals on sq's during the learning curve, aka consumer R&D.

But i only weighed 130 lbs (really) so rounds weren't a problem. The big folks on the wild side liked the speed and soft landing of the sq's untill they had to use their rd reserve's.

IMO the sport owes a big thanks to the R&D consumers and the manufactor's who stayed with it and tried all the different sq's untill they got all the problems figured out and refined the design.

R.I.P.

Wendy W.

When that didn't work, Para-Flite turned it into a reserve called the, "Safety Flyer."

The ad slogan should have been. "You'll live! But always take a real good pasting on the landing . . .

Two Safety Flyer stories...:)

One guy (old salt) that jumped now and then
at the DZ I was at in the 70's, actually had a "Flyer"
as a reserve to his Strato Cloud...

Problem was...The Flyer was in a BELLY WART!

(mini~system):o

A good friend I jumped with a lot in college had
so called 'state of the art' gear his folks bought him
after seeing us land rather "firmly" with rounds...[:/]

I think the container was a purple "Green Star Express"
with a Strato Star main and a Safety Flyer reserve...
He always said
"Now it doesn't matter WHAT handle I pull!":ph34r:

I guess it MUST have mattered...;)
His brother asked me to sell the rig to
help pay for hospital bills
after a BAD reserve landing!B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I put about 800 jumps on my Strato Flyer and liked it just fine. I weighed 145 and it landed OK. I used to sit up on top of the slider and shoot accuracy. I could land it with the end cells closed. I could get it to collapse so that only the center cell was inflated as long as I held the front risers down. It looked like hell and came out of the sky like a stone but was lots of fun to do.

I even put my first five BASE jumps on that canopy.

I then got a Kestral which was another five cell. It was another good canopy. I could throw out my pilot chute in a full track and it would open just fine.

jon

My first rig was a Strato Star and a big Wonderhog with a belly band. I wore the knees out of my jumpsuit after 300+ jumps on it. When I bought the rig, with a trusty 24ft reserve, the Star already was coverted with a slider. Oh, and the pics posted, it seems that the common colors were gold w/black stabilizers. That was mine. I still have my star in a box in a closet. That whole rig set me back a whopping $250.:D Always had consistent openings, nice and easy, both end cells closed and the slider up two feet. I called it a pumper. Never once had the thought of a cutaway with it.
Strato Star: aka Ditch Witch, Strato Plow, Strato Piano.
And I had a bud who owned a Strato Flyer. He slowly removed his knee caps. :D

Still have my Strato Star. It was made by Joe Garcia & Steve Yanta. A-1 unlimited in Elsinore by the Rumbleseat. It is Red/Wht/Blu with stars. I had it made for Demo Jumps in 1976. It never let me down. Soft openings, great accuracy. Got me into the Ascot Speedway, The Treehouse Nude Ranch, Parks, etc. Never failed me. Looked really good in the air too. Calif. Aerial Circus with Pat Moorehead was our Demo Team. Great fun. Good clean jumps???? It has been in my kit back since 1979. It could be rotten, I don't know. I'm afraid to look. SANDY
Sandy

I have an original Strato Star that I would like to jump. Its not been cross port vented, and wondered how much of an issue this is/was for this design of canopy. I can vent it, but would like to keep it as original as possible. That said, I'd rather my legs remained intact if the crossporting will prevent me landing with just 3 cells above me.

How about packing - it has a slider and a bag - is it just a "routine factory pack"?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Andrew

I put about 700 jumps on a strat in the 70's. Made the first 50 or so with the rings and ropes. Talk about your slow openings.
I then had the slider put on, reinforced the tail, short lined and had slots put in the stabilizers. Shortly after that I sewed a diaper on the right stabilizer, anyway I think it was the right stabilizer. A diaper is kind of like a bag that has velcro down the middle. The canopy packs right into the diaper like a bag, but is was much easier. And of course the diaper is part of the canopy so it's always in the same place when you go to pack.
With the diaper, the openings were so consistant I could tell immediately if I had a problem and take care of business if I had to. I had two malfunctions on the strat. I know one of them at least was my fault.
As far as end cells are concerned, I never had a problem getting them open after opening, and mine was not cross vented. In fact I used to like to fly it backwards. There again, I never had a problem getting the end cells open once I put it in forward.

I was the first Strato Star dealer in Oklahoma, Jan. 1975. The first guys to buy were Neal Rutledge, John Hager ( Anderson ), Fred Leslie, Steve Howe, Nokey Klutts, Carl Bevan, Dave Voeller, Tim Booher. The Stratos were great, reliable, soft opening, good landings, I was a big guy at 6'2" and 185. We had very few malfunctions on them. The Beechnuts 10 man team from Michigan all had Stratos at the Nationals, June 1975 and the response was overwhelming ! We had some Pop Top reserves but I dont recall anyone using one. We always, well nearly always, made it back in in those OK winds !! We did demos and 10 - 12 mans and it was all great. Dave Stephens C9293

Wasn't Sandy Reid on the Beechnuts? I remember him telling me he was on a ten man speed star team and was jump the first prototypes of the Strato-Star. Right now he has my second Strato-Star that he is going to jump when he gets a chance. I can hardly wait for the picture he promised me when he jumps it.

actually reply to 2 posts

It wasn't that they turned a Strato Flyer into a reserve -- yes that is very true but then steve snyder did give all the new buyers a free belt lol still have it somewhere.

i have several hundred jumps on a flyer -- loved everyone of them!!! Only problem i had with it was the "finger trapped" steering lines -- one side hung up once. Is it good compared to today's canopies -- hell no but then that is the purpose of technology development. When the Merlin came out it was a tremendous advance over the flyer -- jumped it in florida -- was incredible what i could make that thing do.

but then i was 145lb at the time and right near the max suspended (recommended weight of 160lb). Complaints i heard at the time came from those who ... well had a tad few additional lbs -- referred to back then as base material.

reading about the new canopies -- i really need to get back -- anyone have info about returning to jump following a ruptured brain aneurysm????