steve1

Low Pass Stories...

A picture paints a thousand words

Whoa! That wingtip looks like it is only about two-feet off the ground, and headed towards those people!

My thoughts exactly I hope I would have been smart enough to be running my ass off befor the camera shot just in case I needed to avoid the flames and flying debris.

R.I.P.

Can you imagine the noise that two or three Phantoms would make whistling over your head, just off the deck. Maybe this is another reason foreigner's don't like Americans

I do NOT have to imagine it Steve....the guys at Homestead used to do that crap... it was where they upgraded from Talons to Phantoms... and some of the IP's would have some fun with us.

The closest one I have had was out in the desert in Nevada.... I was camping in this little pass it was night and some jock came thru it at 20 ft with one BIG ass boom that nearly felt like it broke every cell in my body.. DAYUM that hurt.

http://www.proton.org/~dragon2/chutes21/index.html
Scroll down to the bottom, in between the hit&chuck pics there's 3 low-pass pics.

The hit&chuck was filmed by 8 or 9 camera people total. Somebody compiled a video of it that night, showing every jump and landing a couple times, from different camera's, took half an hour! But at the end of the tape, the low pass came on, all 8 or 9 times! Whoosh! Whoosh! Whoosh-Whoosh-Whoosh-Whoosh-Whoosh-Whoosh.

Awesome! And the pilot was grinning ear-to-ear B|

ciel bleu,
Saskia

http://www.proton.org/~dragon2/chutes21/index.html
Scroll down to the bottom, in between the hit&chuck pics there's 3 low-pass pics.

The hit&chuck was filmed by 8 or 9 camera people total. Somebody compiled a video of it that night, showing every jump and landing a couple times, from different camera's, took half an hour! But at the end of the tape, the low pass came on, all 8 or 9 times! Whoosh! Whoosh! Whoosh-Whoosh-Whoosh-Whoosh-Whoosh-Whoosh.

Awesome! And the pilot was grinning ear-to-ear B|

Hi Dragon

thanks for the websight Nice full service DZ. Kids with play station , dogs playing with other dogs:), beer, etc everyone having a good time:)
R.I.P.

I related this elsewhere in a different context but this is also a low pass story from the inside point of view.

My most memorable ride down with the plane was way back in '91. I was completing my AFF at a CASA boogie in Mmabatho (SA). On the way to altitude my reserve pin dislodged causing the reserve PC to pop out. We were supposed to exit last which meant my instructor (Lob Lobjoy if I remember correctly) and I sat right up front (where the pilot couldn't see me). Lob made sure I had my PC tightly between my knees, sitting down, then he ran out the back for a 'sponsored' solo. The pilot, a very young, normally very competent airforce captain, didn't know or forgot that I was still there. Once the ramp had closed he made a rapid descent and (as was quite common then) he decided to 'buzz' the DZ..... The look on his face when he looked back towards the tail after his pull-up was abosutely priceless. It must have been me thudding into the ramp that got his attention! And no, we weren't using safety belts at the time. :S

From my perspective it is extremely unprofessional to leave a student in the plane for a ride down. Your instructor should never have left you alone.

This thread is about low passes and my anecdote involves a low pass.

There is a thread about students riding the plane down in Incidents. Feel free to post your thoughts on the subject there.

Ps. If the instructor had stayed with me there would likely have been TWO thuds against the ramp. Imagine the pilot's face then!:P

Low Flight (1)

Oh! I've slipped through the swirling clouds of dust,
a few feet from the dirt,
I've flown the Phantom low enough,
to make my bottom hurt.
I've TFO'd the deserts, hills,
valleys and mountains too,
Frolicked in the trees,
where only flying squirrels flew.
Chased the frightened cows along,
disturbed the ram and ewe,
And done a hundred other things,
that you'd not care to do.
I've smacked the tiny sparrow,
bluebird, robin, all the rest,
I've ingested baby eaglets,
simply sucked them from their nest!
I've streaked through total darkness,
just the other guy and me,
And spent the night in terror of
things I could not see.
I've turned my eyes to heaven,
as I sweated through the flight,
Put out my hand and touched,
the master caution light.

Low Flight (2)

Oh, I've slipped the surely bonds of earth
And hovered out of ground effect on semi-rigid blades;
Earthward I've auto'ed and met the rising brush of Non-paved terrain;
And done a thousand things you would never care to
Skidded and dropped and flared Low in the heat soaked roar.
Confined there, I've chased the earthbound traffic
And lost the race to insignificant Headwinds;
Forward and up a little in ground effect I've topped the General's hedge with drooping turns
Where never Skyhawk or even Phantom flew.
Shaking and pulling collective,
I've lumbered The low untresspassed halls of victor airways,
Put out my hand and touched a tree.

High Flight, with FAA Supplement

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth(1),
And danced(2) the skies on laughter silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed(3) and joined the tumbling mirth(4)
Of sun-split clouds(5) and done a hundred things(6)
You have not dreamed of — Wheeled and soared and swung(7)
High in the sunlit silence(8). Hov'ring there(9)
I've chased the shouting wind(10) along and flung(11)
My eager craft through footless halls of air.
Up, up the long delirious(12), burning blue
I've topped the wind-swept heights(13) with easy grace,
Where never lark, or even eagle(14) flew;
And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space(15),
Put out my hand(16), and touched the face of God.

NOTE:

1. Pilots must insure that all surly bonds have been slipped entirely before aircraft taxi or flight is attempted.
2. During periods of severe sky dancing, crew and passengers must keep seatbelts fastened. Crew should wear shoulderbelts as provided.
3. Sunward climbs must not exceed the maximum permitted aircraft ceiling.
4. Passenger aircraft are prohibited from joining the tumbling mirth.
5. Pilots flying through sun-split clouds under VFR conditions must comply with all applicable minimum clearances.
6. Do not perform these hundred things in front of Federal Aviation Administration inspectors.
7. Wheeling, soaring, and swinging will not be attempted except in aircraft rated for such activities and within utility class weight limits.
8. Be advised that sunlit silence will occur only when a major engine malfunction has occurred.
9. "Hov'ring there" will constitute a highly reliable signal that a flight emergency is imminent.
10. Forecasts of shouting winds are available from the local FSS. Encounters with unexpected shouting winds should be reported by pilots.
11. Pilots flinging eager craft through footless halls of air are reminded that they alone are responsible for maintaining separation from other eager craft.
12. Should any crewmember or passenger experience delirium while in the burning blue, submit an irregularity report upon flight termination.
13. Windswept heights will be topped by a minimum of 1,000 feet to maintain VFR minimum separations.
14. Aircraft engine ingestion of, or impact with, larks or eagles should be reported to the FAA and the appropriate aircraft maintenance facility.
15. Aircraft operating in the high untresspassed sanctity of space must remain in IFR flight regardless of meteorological conditions and visibility.
16. Pilots and passengers are reminded that opening doors or windows in order to touch the face of God may result in loss of cabin pressure.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Best beat up i ever saw...
Our dz had two main buildings.. social building.. packing shed.. small hanger... big hanger
Now we were all drinking beer infront of the social shed.. plane buzzed a few feet off of the powerlines.. past us at around eye level.. then inbetween the packing shed and the main hanger then behind the hanger so we couldn't see it anymore then climbing again over the runway.
Hard to explain but it was fuckin mad.. wish i had videoB|

The Buzz job.
It was a cloudy Saturday morning, around 30 students had arrived at this student factory weekend. A cloudbase load was called to check the ceiling,

The clubhouse was located just off the end of a grass runway, sitting on top of a hill, with a bowl betwixt the runway and the clubhouse. As we were walking to the fully fueled plane (C182) with the pilot, my friends started chanting “Buzz job”. Not me, I´m a scairdycat.
I think that for the buzz job connoisseur that this was maybe an almost ideal scene for the ultimate takeoff buzz, to hang a right descending into the bowl and then ascend up to the clubhouse which sat higher than the runway to the pavilion that the students and instructors were assembled at.
I sat in 1st Student position facing rear, the other 3 were on their knees facing forward to view the scene. My view of the scene was looking out the starboard side and the expressions of my buddies.
The take off roll was very abnormal. The stall warning buzzer was locked in continuious mode for the first 15 or 20 secs. The Pilot wasn´t pulling up after rotaton, but just keeping it planed to build up speed.
I looked out at the grass speeding ever so faster than I had ever seen before. The the plane started banking to the right and the wingtip was mowing the the grass, then as the descent started, the neg G´s, then the posi G´s in the pullup out of the bowl.
As I felt the G´s pinning me to the floor start to loosen, a tremendous THWACK and shudder went thru the plane! Miraculously the plane kept flying but the expressions on the fwd looking passengers was one of something that is indescribable. “The windsock” said Roy. “ I saw it tumbling towards the midst of the scattering students”. The Pilot is worried that the landing gear is damaged and the club is hailing us over the com asking us if we were aware of the situation. Denial ensued, and the pilot was now at the cloudbase 800ft agl. He told Bob to climb out and check the landing gear. Bob could not see any damage to the it, and climbed back in asking if we should prepare to exit, The Pilot paused momentarily and said “NO”, “ I need your weight to keep the nose wheel light on landing”. “There´s the Second city airport, they have a bar and fire trucks” said Roy. Adding that our future at the DZ seemed very unlikely if we made it through the landing.
“Great!!! I thought,”I just lived thru a crash take off and now I have to do the same for the landing…….” My scairdycat hackles were rising to a new high.
The Pilot decided to land back on the grass strip.. The touch down was wicked in that we were waiting for the gear to collaspe as the pilot wheellied it to the last possible moment to keep the weight off the nose gear.
Taxiing up to the clubhouse… The club Pres is holding the top 3ft. of windsock 4”x4” pole pointing at the nose of the plane uttering unheard obscenities until the Pilot shut down the engine. I am 1st out, I walk around to the front and see the damage. OMFG! The cowling is trashed a foot and and half inside the prop radius. Maniacal laughter issued forth from my soul. We were dead, but lived. It did not seem possible. The club Pres was pissed about the the cowling and windsock and we were freaking out that we got a second chance to live when we should have died. I thinks that if it had hit the prop, the clubhouse would have been a flaming drive thru. The Pilot was fired. We were told to take the day off and we went BASE jumping. The Pilot was rehired a month later with a new, well earned nickname, and life went on.
(names have been changed to protect the guilty)
Take care,
space

I was sitting outside the clubhouse that morning and thought for an instant that I was going to get a C-182 in the face. We were all lucky that day. I remember who was on that load and I have a good idea who instigated it.

Some friends & I were at a bar called Nippers at Guana Cay, Bahamas, last summer.The bar sits on a small cliff overlooking the Atlantic Ocean. We just hanging enjoying the scenery when out of the south a Twin Otter with floats comes screamng by @ 100" off from the bar. Twenty minutes later comes back from the other direction. Both times never heard it coming. That was cool.B|
Life's a Beach, Not a Mountain.

Just had to post one here...

Bout 20 years ago (at a secret location), we saw a pilot buzz the airfield in a 182 at around 500 ft. after dropping a load. Funny thing is, he was hanging from the strut like a static line student in the buff! That's right, no clothes and the plane on auto pilot! I'm surprized the weight of his balls didn't cause the plane to crash. He climbed back in and landed the plane.

Years back the chief pilot had a little Cub he tooled around in. We set one of those Bartles & James cardboard advertisements near the runway. You know the one...life size with both those idiots holding a wine cooler. The pilot came by and took their heads off with the prop.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Just had to post one here...

Bout 20 years ago (at a secret location), we saw a pilot buzz the airfield in a 182 at around 500 ft. after dropping a load. Funny thing is, he was hanging from the strut like a static line student in the buff! That's right, no clothes and the plane on auto pilot! I'm surprized the weight of his balls didn't cause the plane to crash. He climbed back in and landed the plane.

I think the extra weight of his ball was off set buy the empty space between his ears.:P
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals