steve1

Low Pass Stories...

Back in the olden days there were fewer rules and jumpers got away with a lot more, and so did the pilots. Low passes have always been great fun. In the 70's we had a pilot named Jay that may have had a screw or two loose, but he did a great job of flying jumpers. Whenever the FAA wasn't looking, he'd buzz our landing area. It seemed like he would just barely clear several fences and power lines and then go Varooming over our heads. I mean you would instinctively crunch down when he went over...he was that low. All this was considered great sport by all of us, and we kept encouraging him to do it again.

One day we decided to jump up in the mountains into this really cool meadow. It was late winter with snow on the ground. By the time we got all the jumpers loaded into our club 180 it was almost dark. By the time we jumped it was dark, and we had trouble finding the right meadow. We all landed okay in the right place, and here comes "crazy" Jay for a low pass. He dropped down below the steep walled canyon, buzzed the length of the field, and then went into a steep climb that would make even a jet pilot proud. Then cough, cough, sputter, sputter, as the engine quits..... Jay then had sense enough to level the plane out and head down the timbered canyon instead up into outer space. He disappeared into the darkness. We kept waiting to hear a big boom as he hit the side of the mountain....Somehow he got the motor going again and flew out of there.

Jay no longer flies jumpers. I heard he now spends most days riding a bar stool. Maybe that's a good thing.....Steve1

My old room mate in San Diego was / is an old timer
that was on the US Parachute Team back in the 70's...

A veteran with over 5000 jumps to his credit,
it was always hard to top his antics and stories.
"I have more Dead Centers than you do skydives!"

Once we were leaving the Elsinore DZ
to head back to San Diego...
in his Cessna 310.

After takeoff and a shot loop around the lake,
we headed back in to buzz the gang...B|
beer light had been on for 1/2 an hour by then...:)

High speed pass about 20 feet over the packing area
and parking lot,
followed by a hard pull up...:o

SO HARD of a climb out the bolts on the right seat
snapped and I ended up in the back of the plane!!!B|

He was laughing so hard tears were coming...
until I mentioned how glad I was it was "MY"
seat that let go and not HIS! :S

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Its people like him that make aviation what it is. Guys like Frank Tallman, Art Scholl, and many others, barnstormers, guys who wore one chute and opened just above the surface.

Gosh there really are some poeple who put a great face on aviation.

Thanks for telling us.

Bill

I think its a shame there arent more guys like that now. Its his kind that made the sport interesting to be part of.

Yes. But on the other hand, there have been people killed from low passes. I recall incident where a line of jumpers was out to "moon" the pilot on a low fly-by, and the pilot came so low that his propellers chopped several of the mooners to death...

They're fun - but we've got to do them carefully, and with common sense.

They're fun - but we've got to do them carefully, and with common sense.

I knew another pilot who buzzed a party on the shore of Flathead Lake one evening. He caught a wing tip on the water and killed himself and a passenger. So low passes can definitely can be deadly.

The low formation passes at Lost Prairie are really fun to watch and video. Usually a DC-3 is in the lead with a couple otters following. I got so excited the first time I saw this that I about dropped my video camera....Steve1

Shortly after landing on a 4-way practice jump out of a C-182 I was packing on the lawn in front of the restaurant. Suddenly a big airplane noise, and a second later a thud. The pilot did a low-pass with a hard pull-up as he approached the flagpoles. The step on the pilot's side of the cabin hit the ball on top of the flagpole and knocked it off. It landed about 10 feet from me. The airport owner was really, really mad. We had the ball mounted on a walnut base, with a brass plaque on it. I think we named him "Pilot Error" after that. He was a great guy. I think also he was a bit embarrassed by the misjudgment.

This was at Henley Aerodrome, in Athol, Idaho. I'll say circa 1978.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

I don't have much, but I hope it will do.
The current chief pilot of my DZ only flies us once or twice a year. This year he buzzed the landing area ( his daughter, and the DZO's) low enough you can see his smile on the video, then throw in a low turn to avoid the wind sock. Has also put a DC3 low enough he had to pull up hard to miss some telephone poles. Crazy bugger, some of the old timers still talk about the time he put our 182 under some telephone poles ;)

“- - Sumo is the greatest of sports. It has power, grace, speed and cluture. And most importantly, two fat bastards smacking the shit out of each other. ”

I think that a Twin Beech firewalled close to the ground is the most awesome buzz job machine. The engines just seem louder and they just seem to be going faster than a DC-3...don't know if that's the case but that's how I always felt.

Back in the 80's at Gananoque, Ontario when the Beech 18 was flying there a few of the pilots did some awesome buzz jobs. There is a row of trees along the road up to the hangar with a gap in the middle. The gap is about 10 feet wider than the wingspan on a Beech 18. Beyond the gap is a field with power lines and bush on the far side. They would line up at the south end of the airport and fly that thing about 10 feet off the ground as fast as it would go, just east of the packing area, shoot through the gap and immediately pull it back to clear the power lines and bush. They were just incredible. I heard that once when the grass was long that Horst Pfaus (who is dead now) had a couple of inches of prop in the grass but I never saw that with my own eyes.

Haven't seen a buzz job for years now.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

At the DZ where I did AFF(In Germany) After the last load of the day the Pilot would(C-182) Fly past right in front of the manifest at 5 ft. This was the key to start cracking beers.

There was a deck in front of the manifest a few feet off the ground. If you where standing on the deck when he flew by, the wing tip would be only a few feet higher than eye level.

I remember a couple of Z-Hills meets that were flown by DC-3s and Lodestars. In the evening we would all wait in anticipation of the buzz job. Awesome to have two or three of these firebreathing, barking, flamethrowing a/c go by in fromation at dusk. The entire DZ would erupt in cheers!!!

jon

Not really a skydiving story, but...

Many moons ago when nudity was still expressly banned in the good old Old South Africa, a pilot in the company where I used to work buzzed the local illegal nudist beach with a Sikorsky 58. Unfortunately a local reporter who just happened to have his camera along sitting on the far side of the beach got a great shot of a 58 barreling along just above the shore, with nudists scattering in all directions. This photo then naturally adorned the front page of the newspaper the next morning.

The same pilot who then a few years later put both skids of a JetRanger into the sea getting a TV cameraman, standing on the skids, wet to the knees, after the cameraman repeatedly 'instructed' him to keep the damn helicopter lower for a certain shot .

charlie

I think one of the cooler buzz jobs I ever experienced was when I was jumping with the Army in Utah. Actually it was a National Guard summer camp. We jumped a C-130 and landed in a field with rolling hills in it. I was down in a depression and I could hear the plane coming. I didn't see it until it came out of nowhere directly overhead very close overhead. What a rush! Only in the National Guard could you get away with stuff like that....Steve1

ok, ok, ok...my turn, my turn:

The guy that taught me to fly jumpers, was coming down from a load, saw his whuffo friends at the lake (DZ was between the lakes), getting in their boat to go fishing. He drops down, just above the water, (they didn't see him till last second), and makes all of them JUMP out of the boat!! (Late 70's)

Problem: park rangers got the N-number -- lost his license for 6 months!

Ok, another: In mid-80's, I did the same thing to my friends! (same DZ, same lake!) ok, they didn't jump out but it was cool anyways.......

Last one: Our DZO used to love buzz jobs. So, me and the other pilots happily obliged...However, after my 4th buzz job (...of the day) the DZO asked me to stop. I was thrown off the DZ by the DZO after my 5th buzz job of the day.....(I never learn:S)

ok, I'm doneB|

I raise my glass to the good ole days!

In the 80s when we were jumping at Aero Country, north of Dallas, a skydiver/jump pilot friend also flew a corporate DC-9 out of Dallas as his regular job.

One Sunday afternoon, while ferrying the aircraft back to Dallas from a passenger drop off he gave us the most amazing low and slow buzz job in that DC-9, right down the DZ runway. It looked like he was no higher than 200 ft. :o:ph34r:
The older I get the less I care who I piss off.

How about a couple of non-DZ buzz jobs?

I was on a remote stretch of Florida highway once, and saw an F-4 Phantom coming my way, off in the distance, who seemed to be following the road, coming towards me. The only people in sight were just me, and him. I stopped my car to watch, and as he got closer, I started waving my arms in the air. As soon as I waved my arms, it was as if the pilot saw me, and he dipped down lower over the road, and roared right over my head. And an F-4 really roars!

While climbing Mt. Picacho, that sharp peak just south of Eloy, AZ, I was on a narrow mountain trail, just below the summit. Two Marine AV8A Harriers blew by right over the top of the peak, making a hell of a racket, at high speed. Their appearance was so sudden, having approached from the oposite side of the peak from me, and the noise so sudden, loud and unexpected, it nearly scared me off the side of the mountain. I think the pilots use that peak as a landmark on their way back to Yuma, just as the early wagon trains did.

And five years in the Marines stationed at Marine Corps Air Stations was a real hoot too. Watching military aircraft take off on afterburners, and assorted freestyle maneuvers of Harriers.

I used to work with a guy who was a former Marine fighter pilot in Vietnam. He had all kinds of really cool war stories to listen to. He said after flying a mission often times they'd fly down a river and buzz over the top of any boat they'd see out in the water, in their phantom jets. He said they finally got in big trouble over this and had to quit, but it was great fun while it lasted. Can you imagine the noise that two or three Phantoms would make whistling over your head, just off the deck. Maybe this is another reason foreigner's don't like Americans.....Steve1