SkySlut

Make your own Parachute?!?!

Hi Everyone,

I've just started Rigging & been given a pdf copy of the LoneStar Parachute manual. It looks like a great project to get experience with parachute construction.

From doing some research it looks like the manual came with the fabric parts pre-cut as well as four cassette tapes which talk you through the building process.

Does anybody still have an original kit hidden away in a cupboard somewhere? I would vey much like to make templates of the originals & also make digital copies of the cassettes to preserve them for the future.

If anyone can help or offer any suggestions or information it would be greatly appreciated.

Martin :-)

markbaur

"Lone Star Parachutes" is correct; late 70's or early 80's as I remember. One of the Minneapolis-area riggers has one, in original (not yet sewn) condition, which he has declined to sell.

I don't recall any ad, but perhaps there was a classified in a Parachutist of the time.

Mark

Do you have the contact details for this guy? I'm looking to archive this project for the future & would like to make templates of the parts.

When it first came out, I bought the manual and tapes but did not buy the kit. I was cleaning out a bunch of stuff and gave it away last month. I listened to all the tapes back in the 80's while driving to the Nationals in Muskogee, OK. I also know a guy who built the parachute and jumped it.

Thanks John, could you ask if the person you gave the manual & tapes to would be able to make digital copies of them. I'm very interested to listen to the tapes.

Getting an account of what the kit was like to build from someone who actually made & jumped one would be great too.

If anyone knows someone with an unbuilt kit somewhere which I can copy the patterns from, that would be a great help.

LoneStarRigger

Thanks John, could you ask if the person you gave the manual & tapes to would be able to make digital copies of them. I'm very interested to listen to the tapes.

That's Beatnik who has added John King's kindly donated stuff to his historical collection. He'll digitize them but he's pretty busy with work these days.

I am planning on making copies of the manual and tapes most likely in May. Work is tying me up a lot these days and don't have the time I used to. If this is for the archives with the BPA don't worry. I am friends with Andrew and we have discussed this previously. He will be one of the first to get a digital copy of the manual and tapes. Send me a PM if you want to talk about this more outside an open forum.

It has been a couple of months since I was last on dz.com but I do have some news about this. Right now I have the audio tapes converted to MP3 and the manual scanned. I just have some cleaning up of the scans and the conversion before I share them. But progress has been made and it is really close to being finished and available.

A little off the subject of this thread, but

I was fascinated by parachutes since I was about 7 and jumped with a knapsack off my porch.

Made my own parachute about 1963 when I was 10.

I took our round pool cover and since we lived in a horse ranching community in upstate New York, I used bailing twine for the suspension lines.

I inflated it on the ground near the road and a guy riding his horse got knocked off when the horse got scared and reared up.
I remember it actually looked like a real parachute though the only ones I had ever seen were on the TV series Ripcord.

Ironically the first real parachute I ever saw was mine on my first jump. I trained in the winter and 3 weeks after waiting for good weather I was the first one out on the first load.
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime