pchapman

Early use of weights (or prohibitions)?

I'm curious when weights started to be used, particularly for RW.

At times weights were even prohibited.

For example, I noticed the rules for the 1980 Canadian parachuting championships mentioned that for Style and Relative Work, "artificial control surfaces or other aids (gauntlets, weights, etc.) that give an unfair advantage are prohibited".

Did this sort of situation exist in the US too?

I'm curious when weights started to be used, particularly for RW.

At times weights were even prohibited.

For example, I noticed the rules for the 1980 Canadian parachuting championships mentioned that for Style and Relative Work, "artificial control surfaces or other aids (gauntlets, weights, etc.) that give an unfair advantage are prohibited".

Did this sort of situation exist in the US too?

I started jumping in 1978, and I don't recall anyone wearing weights until about the mid 1980's, and they were rare then. We just wore floppy suits to slow down to help the light people out, and they just had to arch harder. We've gotten much better since then, and using weights to equalize fall rates is a great idea, and certainly helps achieve more points, since you don't have to worry about someone being floaty.

As for style, the U.S. competition rules forbid artificial enhancement also. Although that gets fudged some and is open to interpretation. For example, the tight-fitting slick rubber suits have little air friction, and make you fall faster, accomplishing the same thing as weights. And some people have "pockets" on the shins of their jumpsuits, which catch air and help speed up a backflip. I've always thought those pockets violated the rule, but the judges don't say anything. The same is true with webbed gloves.

I wore lead weights when I jumped without a chute in 1969, and the first thing I said to the guy who held the chute, was " I should have worn more lead"

Maybe that why CSPA didnt want weights used in 1980...it might be in exchange for a rig. LOL

Bill Cole D-41

I used lead weights in the 60's to increase my speed while turning style. It helped a lot but I stopped using them when the head down dive for about 15-20 seconds prior to going into your tuck gave us lots more speed.

I do recall at one time they were not legal for competition but can't remember for sure as it was a few years ago.:)
GW685,D3888,C5052,SCS843